Driving Lights

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
genbama
Motorcycle: 1997 GL 1500 SE Goldwing

Driving Lights

Postby genbama » Sat Sep 25, 2010 8:03 pm

I have a 1997 GL 1500 SE and would like to add a set of driving lights but I am not sure which ones would be the best. Any of you have a idea about them, if so please let me know what you think.
thanks
bama

BikerGuy
Motorcycle: 2008 Goldwing

Re: Driving Lights

Postby BikerGuy » Fri Oct 01, 2010 10:27 am

Here's what I did...

I bought the light bar that mounts under the fairing by the headlights. Then I went to the auto store and bought a set of very bright driving lights for about $35. Then I pocketed the change. Lights for the wing that you buy from places that sell motorcycle accessories are way too much money. My lights are halogens, and they're about 2 and a half inches in diameter and they light up the road like daylight.

Only thing is, get a sealed gel battery and don't use the lights around town unless you have a compufire alternator. Otherwise, you can kill the battery. These lights draw some amperage but I'll tell you what. People see me coming and they actually wait for me to pass, even if I'm 500 yards down the road...... they wait!

igonzalezjr
Motorcycle: 1983 Goldwing Interstate

Postby igonzalezjr » Wed Oct 13, 2010 9:29 pm

hi there, your idea on the driving lights sounds great. any chance you may post some pictures on how you mounted them and which lights you purchased. thank you. may you ride safe and long

BikerGuy

Postby BikerGuy » Wed Oct 13, 2010 10:50 pm

I got the light bar from Wingstuff.com and mounted that. Then I went to the auto store and I bought halogen lights. The ones I bought were in a kit with a switch which I mounted on the bike on the opposite side of the cover from the switch that controls the cornering lights. The kit cost me about $35. The lights are about 2 and a half inches in diameter. I will take a picture of the lights and where I mounted the switch and upload them for you to see within a few days.

BikerGuy

Postby BikerGuy » Thu Oct 14, 2010 11:44 am

Here are pictures of how the lights are mounted and also how I mounted the switch that comes with the light kit. You will also see how I mounted my airhorns too. the motor for each airhorn is installed inside the fairing and wrapped in a small towel to prevent them from moving around and making noise. This also keeps them from getting damaged from all the movement and also prevents the wiring from coming detached.

Also notice that the bike is still wet. It just stopped raining after 2 days. The red switch is for the new driving lights, and after 2 years of being exposed to the weather, they are unaffected. The switch is the standard switch that comes with the light kit package from an autostore.

luckychucky60
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100

Postby luckychucky60 » Thu Oct 14, 2010 8:07 pm

I like your light bar and horns. Looks great.
As long as I have my health then everything will be ok

BikerGuy

Postby BikerGuy » Thu Oct 14, 2010 10:08 pm

Thanks. Why do they call you Lucky Chuckie? Just wondering if it was because your wife accepted your proposal or if it's because you survived a bad accident! :D

luckychucky60
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100

Postby luckychucky60 » Fri Oct 15, 2010 3:49 pm

Lucky that I got an old Gold Wing that runs too! Thanks
As long as I have my health then everything will be ok

BikerGuy

Postby BikerGuy » Fri Oct 15, 2010 3:57 pm

I have 95,000 miles on mine. I'm the second owner. I change the oil every 2 to 3000 miles. I'm going to try to get a million miles out of the engine without needing major work other than maintenance. I read once about a guy who got a million miles out of his car just from changing the oil frequently. I have faith in Honda....

Oh and in case you meet a Harley guy who likes your wing, tell him what Honda stands for.......

Harley Owners Need Dependable Alternative! :D :D :D :D :D

igonzalezjr
Motorcycle: 1983 Goldwing Interstate

Postby igonzalezjr » Wed Oct 20, 2010 8:36 am

Hi Lucky, what a beautiful bike. thank you sir for the pic's. I'm gonna try that on my bike. may you be blessed and may you ride long and safe
Isidro

Return to “GL1500 Information & Questions”