Oem radio replacement

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
Mechmark
Motorcycle: 1984 go1200 and 1999 go1500 se

Oem radio replacement

Post by Mechmark » Sat Jul 22, 2017 5:00 am

My oem radio had a issue with the cassette deck,not playing a tape it just clicks.

So am looking at the possibility of adding a bluetooth option and still keeping, my on board sound system working so not to loose cb function,and intercom.

Thanks

Bluewaterhooker0
Motorcycle: 1997 Goldwing GL 1500 SE

Re: Oem radio replacement

Post by Bluewaterhooker0 » Sat Jul 22, 2017 11:50 am

I assume that means you were using a cassette adapter to play an mp3 source, until this point.
You can send your unit to Sierra Electronics for repair.
Or, use an FM modulator, either wired or wireless (wired is better).
Or, use an FM modulator with Bluetooth capability for receiving the mp3 signals from your phone.
I use a cassette adapter, as the music quality was MUCH better than a wireless FM modulator. I've heard the wired FM modulators work pretty well. I don't know much about a wired modulator with Bluetooth capability.

Mh434
Motorcycle: 1997 gl1500 SE
Previous:
1981 GL1100I
1989 Kawasaki Concours

Post by Mh434 » Sat Jul 22, 2017 1:48 pm

I used a cassette adapter for awhile, but good quality ones are getting hard to find, and in a cassette player with auto-reverse, this sometimes gets tripped all the time, over & over, and your music stops.

I also tried FM transmitter-modulators, with zero success. In my area, there are enough FM signals going around that I was constantly (as in, every few seconds) having to change the FM-in channel.

Finally, I tried an iSimple setup. This turned out to be the best I've ever tried, and I now have several of them, including the one on my GL1500. What it consists of is a small silver control box (mine fits under the passenger's portion of the seat, and doesn't even need to be secured), a small rocker switch, and an Aux Input jack, which works for everything, pretty much (phones, GPS, MP3 players, etc.).

The way it works is to pipe your chosen input signal, whatever that may be, through your FM antenna cable (bypassing the antenna itself) directly into your FM radio. Input signals are absolutely clean, with no interference, spurious signals, etc., so sound is as good as the source can provide.

You just provide 12V DC (+) and (-) to the box (on my bike, the box under the seat is only about 6" from the left side fuse panel, so this is a snap), install the little On/Off rocker switch & "Aux In" jack, then unplug your under-the-seat connector for the antenna & plug the antenna lead into the port on the silver box. There's another short antenna lead coming out of the box, which you plug into the other side of the antenna connector.

That's it. It pretty much takes longer to describe than to do!

To use it, enter one FM preset on your radio for modulator use (on mine, I think it's 87.9), turn on the switch, and plug in your favorite source. That's it. It works with all the rest of the Honda system seamlessly (including audio mute when using the intercom, CB, etc.).

There are many versions, from simple FM modulators to Bluetooth-enabled with iPod/iPhone charging jacks, etc. Amazon carries several types...even WalMart apparently carries 'em. Here's one link (Amazon) for the ones I have - $27.89 for the kit https://www.amazon.com/iSimple-IS31-Ant ... %3AiSimple

I have no connection to the company (although I should be getting a commission!), but I've tried sooo many other ways, and been disappointed in all of them. This is a US company, and I've had 100% success with their product, so thought I'd pass it on in case the info is of use to others.

Just my $.02' worth...

shomann
Motorcycle: 1999 GL1500 Aspencade

Post by shomann » Sun Jul 23, 2017 9:13 am

It sounds like your radio works OK, you just want a alternative to the cassette player? If so, here's the best solution I've found. No external power source needed either. It's now available for a ridiculous $5.99.

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=36704

http://www.ebay.com/itm/3-5mm-Wireless- ... 2097348272

Erdeniz Umman
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500SE

Post by Erdeniz Umman » Sun Jul 23, 2017 1:56 pm

Mechmark wrote:
Sat Jul 22, 2017 5:00 am
My oem radio had a issue with the cassette deck,not playing a tape it just clicks.

So am looking at the possibility of adding a bluetooth option and still keeping, my on board sound system working so not to loose cb function,and intercom.

Thanks
Have you done the AUX input modification on your radio/cassette player?

coolrunning
Motorcycle: 1999 Honda GL1500A Goldwing Aspencade
50th Anniversary
1970 Honda 350SL (first love)

Post by coolrunning » Sat Jul 29, 2017 12:52 am

Mechmark wrote:
Sat Jul 22, 2017 5:00 am

Thanks
I had the exact same problem. I contacted Sierra Electronics, and discussed my options. Instead of spending $126.00 having the cassette repaired, I opted to go the extra mile and have them install the AUX input jack. I love it! I can connect my Ipod or phone via the headphone jack and I can now listen to anything I like. It cost me about $200.00 to pull and send them the radio including shipping. At first, it seemed pricey until I realized how much a new radio from Western Honda listed for nearly $2000.00. I never liked cassette adapters anyway, and the AUX jack is direct wired with a selector switch that allows you to switch back and forth from your MP3 sources and AM/FM radio. What a difference it made. I did consider replacing the radio with a aftermarket marine type (water proof) radio with a CD player, but decided against it when I found no way to keep my intercom and CB radio connections to my helmet headsets alive. I didn't want anything to do with bulky helmet mounted wireless (bluetooth) headsets/batteries that die after a few hours or any of that nonsense. Although my cassette player does not work, it is the only thing on my Goldwing that is in that category. (I doubt I would ever use it anyway, since I sold all my cassettes in a garage sale years ago). Unfortunately, our older machines were built long before this modern technology existed. Still, the best option for me was simply adding the AUX jack to allow more input sources to my old radio system. I am very happy with it.
Coolrunning

Greenwinger
Motorcycle: 1997 GL1500 SE
Pearl Green and Beautiful

Post by Greenwinger » Wed Aug 02, 2017 6:54 pm

I have been using a wired FM modulator for years and I find it works flawlessly. I have my Garmin GPS hooked up to it as my mp3 player and it sounds as good as it gets with the stalk radio and speakers. The other up side is I can still use my cassette player as I still have a couple of mixed tapes I have had for a very long time, and the darn thing keeps working.

Big Bob
Motorcycle: 1996 GL1500A Aspencade

Post by Big Bob » Wed Aug 02, 2017 9:45 pm

Cool running, did you have the lights inside the radio replaced at the same time? Was there an additional cost, if so how much. My lights are getting less and less in my radio.

Bob
Bob Payette
Rosemount, MN
'96 GL1500A Aspencade, Red The Best Color!
144,000 miles and still going strong!
A bad day off is better than your best day at work!

coolrunning
Motorcycle: 1999 Honda GL1500A Goldwing Aspencade
50th Anniversary
1970 Honda 350SL (first love)

Post by coolrunning » Thu Aug 17, 2017 6:15 pm

Big Bob wrote:
Wed Aug 02, 2017 9:45 pm
Cool running, did you have the lights inside the radio replaced at the same time? Was there an additional cost, if so how much. My lights are getting less and less in my radio.

Bob
No, I did not have the inside lights changed out. Honestly, I didn't even think about doing it... I am considering changing them out myself (winter project) as described in this forum, with LEDs. I love the way they look, and it will be a one time fix. I have the parts list ready to order. I wish there was an easier way to do it, but it appears that we have to change each one out individually and solder in resistors for each one. I have no problem removing the radio, but the dashboard lights are a lot more disassembly. I am always concerned about getting things back together properly, so everything works. Fixing something that doesn't work is a thrill, but causing something to stop working drives me crazy... I am still studying the methods and procedures. This forum has an excellent instruction DIY complete with photographs and details.

Rick

Coolrunning