stubborn oil filter

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
TwoTone Trike
Motorcycle: 1999 Honda GoldWing Hannigan Trike

stubborn oil filter

Post by TwoTone Trike » Tue Aug 01, 2017 4:08 am

Hi all. I recently purchased a 1999 Gold Wing se. Being new to me I changed the timing belts and tensioners, the air, cruise, sub,and fuel filters, I also flushed the radiator so that way I know that all is good to go. My problem is with the oil filter. It seems as if it was torqued on. I've tried the show chrome filter wrench, a strap wrench, I've even tried to chisel a notch in the lip of the filter and using a screw driver to tap it off to no avail. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Tony

Erdeniz Umman
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500SE

Re: stubborn oil filter

Post by Erdeniz Umman » Tue Aug 01, 2017 5:56 am

TwoTone Trike wrote:
Tue Aug 01, 2017 4:08 am
Hi all. I recently purchased a 1999 Gold Wing se. Being new to me I changed the timing belts and tensioners, the air, cruise, sub,and fuel filters, I also flushed the radiator so that way I know that all is good to go. My problem is with the oil filter. It seems as if it was torqued on. I've tried the show chrome filter wrench, a strap wrench, I've even tried to chisel a notch in the lip of the filter and using a screw driver to tap it off to no avail. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Tony
There is a rubber oring which seals the oil and creates the friction.
If it is overtightened than the friction will be high. Maybe some WD40 around the filter will help to loosen it.

ct1500
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500

Post by ct1500 » Tue Aug 01, 2017 6:24 am

When Magilla Gorilla has over tightened a filter they will always eventually come off but they do get crushed and destroyed in the process. A correct heavy duty strap wrench along with filter pliers gets the job done.
This is what I do
Local and need repair help with your 1500, Valkyrie or ST please PM

TwoTone Trike

Post by TwoTone Trike » Tue Aug 01, 2017 10:21 am

Thanks Erdeniz and ct1500. I bought filter pliers and was able to get it to barely move before the filter crumpled. But it was enough that I was able to use a screw driver and tap it loose. I guarantee that will never happen again as I'll be the only one to ever change her oil again. Thanks again, Tony

Happytrails
Motorcycle: 1991 Goldwing 1500 SE

Post by Happytrails » Tue Aug 01, 2017 11:43 am

For stuck filters I've always had the most luck with one of these kinds of wrenches.

Just fold some sandpaper or a sanding disk in half then place it betweel the wrench and filter to give it some bite and it will grab hold really good.
1991 GL1500 SE Anniversary Edition
Sun Flare Gold Metallic
Vallant Brown Inset

TwoTone Trike

Post by TwoTone Trike » Wed Aug 02, 2017 12:28 pm

Thanks Happytrails, That's a good idea. I'll have to remember that. Tony