Installing new shifter brace

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
DenverWinger
Motorcycle: 1972 CL-350 (1980-1988) sold
1978 Suzuki GS-550 (1985-2005) sold
1977 GL-1000 (2002-2006) sold
1980 GL-1100 STD Vetter (2005-)
1993 GL-1500A Aspencade (2017-)
1983 Trav-Lite Camper (2010-)

Installing new shifter brace

Post by DenverWinger » Tue Aug 01, 2017 10:13 am

A couple weeks ago I tore into tupperware and put new timing belts, Fiamm horns, LED cornering lites, and fresh silicate-free antifreeze into this new-to-me girl. I looked at the air filter, it wasn't really all that dirty, but I did find about a dozen dried-up things that looked like they might have been cherries at one time.... so the mices have visited at least once (next time opened I'll have a new filter and some screen for the air intake).

I found where the PO hid the Alpine CD-Changer controller/FM Modulator, it was in the left side fairing pocket (I actually don't have fairing pockets anymore, they are replaced by 6" round speakers) and disconnected the bluetooth receiver (I didn't know I had that, either) from the AUX input and replaced with a little cable I can connect to my MP3 player. I don't use bluetooth anyway, if I need to connect my iPhone I'll just plug the MP3 player cable into the phone's headphone jack. I'm thinking of cancelling the CD changer too, it takes up a lot of space in the right saddlebag.

My order of farkles from CycleMax included a set of JIF screwdrivers, Oil filter wrench, Battery Tender Jr, Sub and Cruise air filter, tapered seat bolts, 40 PSI "view" tire pressure caps, and a gear-shifter brace with new oil seal.

While I had the girl apart, I looked at installing the shifter brace, that's kind of a difficult spot to get to while she's on the ground. I do have a HF motorcycle lift which works well, but I'm thinking maybe the easiest access to the shifter brace installation might be to just give the tires a rest and lay the girl on her crash bars.

Question here - does anyone note problems with laying the bike on it's side for extended period? Do these carburetors dump the bowls into the manifolds, or are they OK like that? I suppose I could just disconnect the power to the fuel pump and run the carburetors out of gas..... I suppose I'll get a pretty smoky (oil) start first time after I pick her up....

They say 98% of all Hardleys ever made are still on the road..... The other 2% made it home. :lol:
(I stole this from somebody on another GW site...) :roll:

ka4yqi
Motorcycle: 1998 Goldwing SE

Re: Installing new shifter brace

Post by ka4yqi » Tue Aug 01, 2017 11:13 am

I layed my 89 wing over on on jack stands when i had it. I changed the shifter seal, valve cover and seal around the bolt/screw. I had no problems with doing. Sure was easy to work on that way.

Wingsconsin
Motorcycle: 2002 GL1800 - Pearl Orange
1996 GL1500 Aspencade - Pearl Blue
1992 GL1500 Aspencade -Candy Red
1983 Suzuki GS850GL - Blue & Black

Post by Wingsconsin » Tue Aug 01, 2017 4:26 pm

Even though I have a lift - I just gathered my tools and laid down on a cushion next to the bike
Changing the oil seal and adding the shifter brace was time consuming (not a lot) but not difficult to do -
I did this on 3 GL1500's - mine. my sons, and a friends - all 3 showed improved shifting and no leaking from the seal.
Take your time- do it right - once - and enjoy
Postings are my opinions based on experience and acquired knowledge.
Your results may vary. Universal disclaimers apply.

Motorcycle Adventure Storys writen by me
http://neverlost-justexploring.blogspot.com/

cbx4evr
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500SE - sold :-(
2004 Kawasaki KLR 650
Solex 5000 - gave to son
1980 Honda CBX - sold :-(
1981 Honda CBX - sold :-(

Post by cbx4evr » Tue Aug 01, 2017 4:50 pm

When I installed my shifter brace I just had the bike on the centre stand. I do have a bike lift but figured it would just be in the way. A platform lift would have made it a little more comfortable to do.
"It´s a friggen motorcycle, it´s not supposed to be comfortable, quiet or safe. The wind noise is supposed to hurt your ears, the seat should be hard and riding it should make you s**t your pants every now and then. "

SG_Jay
Motorcycle: 1998 GL1500 Aspencade

Post by SG_Jay » Tue Aug 01, 2017 9:41 pm

I took off everything that was in the way while it was on the center stand. Then when I was at the point of needing better access, I put down a couple of packing blankets, told it a bedtime story and gently laid it down for a short nap.

Stood it back up when I was done, back on the stand, put it all back together and started right up. There were no issues and I love the brace. I compared shifters with a coworker and the amount of slop he had in his vs mine was amazing.