Cruise control question

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
Alan_Hepburn
Motorcycle: 1994 GL1500SE with a California Sidecar

Cruise control question

Post by Alan_Hepburn » Sat Aug 05, 2017 1:03 pm

My bike ('94 GL1500SE) has been in the shop for some maintenance and the mechanic called me yesterday with an update. He has rebuilt the carbs because the bike had a slight "surge" at idle, and he said the slides were sticking. So, it's all back together and he says it still surges a bit so he's continuing to troubleshoot that. But he said he noticed that the cruise control switch box on the handlebar seemed to be running hot, and wanted to know if I had noticed it. I always wear gloves when I ride, and never noticed anything unusual about the cruise control - does that box normally run warm, or hot? If not, what might cause it to run hot?

Alan Hepburn - San Jose, Ca
1994 GL1500SE with a California Sidecar

Erdeniz Umman
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500SE

Re: Cruise control question

Post by Erdeniz Umman » Sat Aug 05, 2017 2:30 pm

Alan_Hepburn wrote:
Sat Aug 05, 2017 1:03 pm
My bike ('94 GL1500SE) has been in the shop for some maintenance and the mechanic called me yesterday with an update. He has rebuilt the carbs because the bike had a slight "surge" at idle, and he said the slides were sticking. So, it's all back together and he says it still surges a bit so he's continuing to troubleshoot that. But he said he noticed that the cruise control switch box on the handlebar seemed to be running hot, and wanted to know if I had noticed it. I always wear gloves when I ride, and never noticed anything unusual about the cruise control - does that box normally run warm, or hot? If not, what might cause it to run hot?
It depends on what causes the heat. If the illumination bulbs inside are the OEM ones (incandescent bulbs), it is normal that they will create some heat, but if the other switches are causing the heat, it is not normal, it indicates a loose, poor or corroded contact.