Problem installing the rear wheel.

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
ZTatZAU
Motorcycle: 1989 GL1500

Problem installing the rear wheel.

Post by ZTatZAU » Mon Aug 07, 2017 11:40 pm

Got a new set of E4s for my 89 GL1500. R&R of the front wheel went fine! I tried the swing up method of raising the rear trunk and sidebag subframe. It was somewhat of a PIA but all in all went OK though for some unknown reason, I was only able to swing the rear end up about halfway. Antennas are sticking up and forward at about a 45 degree angle; still quite a ways from touching the handle bars. But it was up enough to get at everything and remove the rear wheel. I did have to remove the airline from the right shock and the rear crash bars befor it would go up at all.

I'm in the re assembly phase now but wondering what I'm doing wrong... or what, if anything, I'm missing; or perhaps lost off the wheel while mounting and balancing the new tire, that would result in a pretty large space between the left swing arm and the spacer washer, caliper bracket, axle collar spacer and the wheel. The space is at least as wide as the thickness of the spacer washer. Please see the photo!

I can't believe it's normal to have to squeeze the swing arms together this much by tightening the axle nut! Any ideas or suggestions are much appreciated!

ZT
Attachments

Erdeniz Umman
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500SE

Re: Problem installing the rear wheel.

Post by Erdeniz Umman » Tue Aug 08, 2017 3:37 am

I had the same problem and solved it by this method.

1.Loosen the 4 shaft housing nuts on the final drive
2.Loosen the axle nut
3.Loosen the pinch bolt
*4.Pull the brake caliper bracket outwards until the washer touches the swingarm inner face (axle pin will move out of the swingarm a little bit)
*5.Pull the wheel to the left to eliminate the gap if occurred (because the bracket moved left, there will be some gap between the collar and the bracket; if the brake caliper was in place while doing the step 4, the wheel should have moved together with the bracket, but recheck it)
6.Tighten the pinch bolt
7.Tighten and torque the axle nut
8.Tighten and torque the 4 shaft housing nuts

ZTatZAU

Post by ZTatZAU » Tue Aug 08, 2017 7:44 am

Thank you for sharing Erdeniz!

Do you know what may have moved or changed to have caused this extra space to appear? I did not loosen or move the final drive in any way when removing the wheel.

Is the final drive designed to be adjusted, left and right, in this way?

ZT

Erdeniz Umman

Post by Erdeniz Umman » Tue Aug 08, 2017 8:09 am

ZTatZAU wrote:
Tue Aug 08, 2017 7:44 am
Thank you for sharing Erdeniz!

Do you know what may have moved or changed to have caused this extra space to appear? I did not loosen or move the final drive in any way when removing the wheel.

Is the final drive designed to be adjusted, left and right, in this way?

ZT
I think it is a design issue. Because, if you measure the width of the swingarm end (where the pinch bolt is) and compare it with the width of the axle head (where the swingarm fits on), and if the washer has to touch the inner face of the swingarm, then some of the axle head must stay out like below.

So when installing the axle we should not push it all the way in.

Loosening the 4 nuts will help allingning the gears in the final drive system. Otherwise you may hear some gear noise and some gear damage subsequently.

And I think we can say yes for the final drive adjustment, because it will move inwards as we tighten the axle bolt. If you tighten the axle bolt as in your case, the final drive will be on the right of its normal position, and the wheel will be on the right side of the central line (the line where the front wheel and rear wheel stays on). And you will start searching for a solution for another issue "bike pulls to the left/right"
Attachments

ct1500
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500

Post by ct1500 » Tue Aug 08, 2017 3:32 pm

The axle is stepped and is where the slim washer butts up against, distance between washer and inside of left swing arm is of no concern. Axle gets torqued first and in essence floats or centers itself, pinch bolt gets tightened last. If you tighten pinch bolt first and then tighten axle nut you could be bending the swing arm.
Local and need repair help with your 1500, Valkyrie or ST please click contact
Nothing leaves my shop till its' perfect
This is what I do

Erdeniz Umman

Post by Erdeniz Umman » Tue Aug 08, 2017 3:58 pm

ct1500 wrote:
Tue Aug 08, 2017 3:32 pm
The axle is stepped and is where the slim washer butts up against, distance between washer and inside of left swing arm is of no concern. Axle gets torqued first and in essence floats or centers itself, pinch bolt gets tightened last. If you tighten pinch bolt first and then tighten axle nut you could be bending the swing arm.
Actually I have done it as you describe here in my first attempt. With this method you have to hold the axle head with a screwdriver, and still may have a gap on the left side because of the width differences of the swingarm end and the axle head. Or you will need to pull the axle outwards and hold it in that position with the screwdriver instead of tightening the pinch bolt while torquing the axle nut.

So with my method, because the axle is properly positioned at the beginning, there will not be any problems, I think.

Actually my method is like the method used in the front wheel alignment. We are aligning the axle head mark with the outer surface of the left fork assembly and holding it in that position while torquing the front axle nut, otherwise the front wheel will not be aligned with the forks equally.

ct1500
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500

Post by ct1500 » Tue Aug 08, 2017 5:09 pm

When reinstalling final drive the easiest method to align its' left-right (CW-CCW) orientation to axle as viewed from the rear is as follows.

With final snug against swing arm but still movable install axle by itself into and through final to about its' normal position and then tighten pinch bolt. Rotate the final left-right the few thousands of an inch it will move then set at midpoint of the two and proceed to tighten the four nuts. Remove axle and follow usual procedure for rest of installation. The final is aligned to the opposite side perfectly in the usual axle resting position.
Last edited by ct1500 on Tue Aug 08, 2017 7:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Local and need repair help with your 1500, Valkyrie or ST please click contact
Nothing leaves my shop till its' perfect
This is what I do

ZTatZAU

Post by ZTatZAU » Tue Aug 08, 2017 6:28 pm

ct1500 wrote:
Tue Aug 08, 2017 3:32 pm
When I got back to it this afternoon I finally realized that 3/16" space, between the washer and the swingarm, wasn't the skinny part of axle but the stepped shoulder on the end of the axle! Duhhh! It all made perfect sense! Thanks to all who replied! Everything is torqued down and spaced out properly.

After changing the final drive oil, I moved on to swinging the trunk/saddlebag assembly back down and line up the mounting bolt holes; both of which took a little doing! To facilitate the swinging back down part, I loosened the two sidebag mounting bolts inside the side bag. This allowed plenty of outward give to allow the side panel grommet tabs, at the front of the bag, to easily clear the frame tubes. Both bolt holes now look to be all lined up and I will proceed further later on this evening.

I'm hoping for a little test ride before bed! ZT