89 Gl1500 no spark

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
virgilmobile
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500 I
Previously owned
78 GL1000
81 GL1100
82 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 standard
84 GL 1200 I

Re: 89 Gl1500 no spark

Post by virgilmobile » Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:21 am

If it's not a bother to you,I'm a bit concerned about this intermittent spark problem.
It seems that the ignition module are almost bullet proof.Certainly not intermittent as a rule.
I know you have tested and are hoping that the module is the problem but I'm a bit nervious about that.
If you have the time,I can provide very specific tests to isolate your problem.
There best done when the bike won't spark.

DarrellFields
Motorcycle: 89 Honda Goldwing Gl1500

Post by DarrellFields » Mon Sep 18, 2017 12:27 pm

Update,
She decided to start running about 3 days ago,, i randomly started getting a spark, ran great for 2 days and i went for about a 90 min ride yesterday. I keep the bike under a canopy to keep the rain off but when i got up this morning it was a light drizzle outside and back to having no spark. When i did get a spark it was orange Not blue so is it safe to assume i possibly need new coils? Also I have an Agm batt coming thru ebay and I'm going to be soldering on a new ground terminal. It only does this no spark thing during really muggy/humid conditions. Thank you all Greatly for your help. I'm 45 and have been working on cars/trucks my whole life but this Wing seems to be an animal of its own

From my ride yesterday
From my ride yesterday

When all else fails.. Weld it

DarrellFields

Post by DarrellFields » Mon Sep 18, 2017 2:20 pm

Okay.. i just went out and soldered in both battery connectors to the cables and did a leak test. Here is a couple pics of what im working with. Judging from the reading i got im thinking i have a drain somewhere but im clueless as to where to look.
Attachments

I put the multimeter on dc amps mode and it was reading 5.05 volts. The red wire you see dangling is my coil jumper wire attached to the black/white wire in my harness
I put the multimeter on dc amps mode and it was reading 5.05 volts. The red wire you see dangling is my coil jumper wire attached to the black/white wire in my harness

Erdeniz Umman
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500SE

Post by Erdeniz Umman » Mon Sep 18, 2017 3:30 pm

If you are doing a leakage test, you should read the amperage, not the voltage. And it should not exceed 5mA.

As far as I see from the picture, the probes of the multimeter are not set for amperage reading. I hope the multimeter is not damaged.

Also the test should be done when the ignition key is Off.

What is the second wire with yellow tube at the 55A fuse?

virgilmobile
Previously owned
78 GL1000
81 GL1100
82 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 standard
84 GL 1200 I

Post by virgilmobile » Mon Sep 18, 2017 4:11 pm

Sorry,the probe position is correct.Disconmecting the ground and inserting the amp meter between the battery lug and the cable.With the key off the meter should read well below 0.05 amp.Less than 50 miliamp. Not volts and certainly not 5 amp.

Erdeniz Umman

Post by Erdeniz Umman » Mon Sep 18, 2017 4:15 pm

virgilmobile wrote:
Mon Sep 18, 2017 4:11 pm
Sorry,the probe position is correct.Disconmecting the ground and inserting the amp meter between the battery lug and the cable.With the key off the meter should read well below 0.05 amp.Less than 50 miliamp. Not volts and certainly not 5 amp.
The probes on the multimeter side is wrong. Notice the red probe is not at the 10A or 300mA terminal.
Attachments

virgilmobile
Previously owned
78 GL1000
81 GL1100
82 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 standard
84 GL 1200 I

Post by virgilmobile » Mon Sep 18, 2017 5:23 pm

Yes indeed.My phone picture of the meter is difficult to see.
The attachment of the meter wires to the bike are correct and by your picture added,the red probe would be in the wrong position.

As mentioned,the meter probe should start at the 10 amp position for a correct reading.If it reads below 0.3 amp,switch to the lower position.
The rotary switch is correct.

Bluewaterhooker0
Motorcycle: 1997 Goldwing GL 1500 SE

Post by Bluewaterhooker0 » Mon Sep 18, 2017 9:29 pm

Just some advice that is worth what you are paying for it, to the OP.
You have some guys on this post that know EXACTLY what to do, and how to do it, when it comes to diagnosing your problem. They have offered to help you through that process. You have not taken them up on their offers, and instead choose to jump all over the place, leaping to conclusions about what part you need to buy next, while not being able to afford it.
The free advice part:
Take up Erd or Virgil on their offers. Follow exactly what they tell you to do, and how to do it. Diagnose your problem, fix your bike, save some money, and go riding.
Sorry for the bluntness. I've been following this post and it's driving me nuts.

DarrellFields

Post by DarrellFields » Mon Sep 18, 2017 10:25 pm

Sorry about jumping all over. I just saw the multitude of replies. I will check tomorrow morning after the sun comes up and i can see what im doing. I will double check and make sure my multimeter is setup right.
The wire with the yellow is one of 2 that were clustered together in the original setup. The guy i got the bike from had them jury rigged with a piece of a battery terminal. I eliminated 1 piece of useless wire and made 2 separate connections after the 55a fuse.
I Am trying to follow the advice on here and one thing i have seen on other threads on here is that if you are having voltage drop issues to get an agm battery. I did get a voltmeter hooked up and tied it into my coil wire to monitor that voltage. The resulting readibgs say that when i hit the starter my coil is barely getting 10.2 to 10.7 volts. From what i understand thats too low to operate and make a good spark. I attached the only pic i took of the old jury rigged positive cable. The bike was a jury rigged mess when i first got it and i have pulled off Several feet of useless wires that were either for non existent aftermarket lighting or just extra wire looped around the frame. It was All non factory wire. The only thing i changed was to wire in some of the accessory lights to the factory setup. I was thinking of going back to a switched setup. I did notice that whenever i hit the starter switch All running lights and the headlights turn off until i let up on the starter switch. Is it possible the extra marker lights are causing the extra drain while trying to start it? Thanks again for your continued help and patience
Attachments

This is what the original 12v pos wire looked like
This is what the original 12v pos wire looked like

DarrellFields

Post by DarrellFields » Tue Sep 19, 2017 7:57 am

Okay, i just did the leak test again and while it may look like my neg probe is plugged in funky thats how it works on my meter, that being said i have a rather large drain going on somewhere. Im going to attach pic of the 4 different ways i checked it on my meter. I was only getting 2 options when i hit the square button in the middle to change decimal values so 2 are on 10a and 2 are on 300ma.
I hope im doing this right
One thing that Just occurred to me is, is it possible that its the starter,solenoid or alternator causing the drain? Perhaps some kind of an internal short? I know im throwing darts in the dark. The bike only has about 67k on it but it sat for almost 5 years with very little use or runtime. I am half tempted to pull the starter, tear it apart and clean the hell out of it with brake cleaner and contact cleaner and see if that helps. I did see another thread on here that said something about pulling and servicing tbe alternator on occasion
Attachments

virgilmobile
Previously owned
78 GL1000
81 GL1100
82 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 standard
84 GL 1200 I

Post by virgilmobile » Tue Sep 19, 2017 10:00 am

Sorry mate.The probes are still in the wrong place.
The black one goes and stays in the bottom right hole..Its marked as common.The red one starts in the left top hole.and is moved to the lower left hole if the meter current display is below 0.3 amp.

DarrellFields

Post by DarrellFields » Tue Sep 19, 2017 10:30 am

Ok. It flickered 0.01 for a fraction of a second on the 10a * It did go to 1.99 under the 300ma setting
Attachments

Erdeniz Umman

Post by Erdeniz Umman » Tue Sep 19, 2017 12:02 pm

DarrellFields wrote:
Tue Sep 19, 2017 10:30 am
Ok. It flickered 0.01 for a fraction of a second on the 10a * It did go to 1.99 under the 300ma setting
Was the ignition key off when you did the test?

DarrellFields

Post by DarrellFields » Tue Sep 19, 2017 12:22 pm

Erdeniz Umman wrote:
Tue Sep 19, 2017 12:02 pm
DarrellFields wrote:
Tue Sep 19, 2017 10:30 am
Was the ignition key off when you did the test?
Yes, key was off, when i tested load with the key on it jumped to 22a. I'M changing out the bulbs to LED as i can afford them but most are still incandescent bulbs
I did just go back out and retest and the load dropped to 1.94 key off and 22-23.5 key on

Erdeniz Umman

Post by Erdeniz Umman » Tue Sep 19, 2017 12:48 pm

Actually, I am trying to understand the reading on the screen, whether it means 1.99mA or 19.9mA, since I don't know how your multimeter adjusts the range.

I think the multimeter auto adjusts the range and if this is true, the reading is 1.99mA which is less than 5mA and the leakage is within the limits.

DarrellFields

Post by DarrellFields » Tue Sep 19, 2017 1:18 pm

Erdeniz Umman wrote:
Tue Sep 19, 2017 12:48 pm
Actually, I am trying to understand the reading on the screen, whether it means 1.99mA or 19.9mA, since I don't know how your multimeter adjusts the range.

I think the multimeter auto adjusts the range and if this is true, the reading is 1.99mA which is less than 5mA and the leakage is within the limits.
Yes its reading 1.99 down to 1.94 on 300ma
With that being said and since we figured out im within leak allowances when i hit the starter button my voltage drops down to 10.5 to 10.1 on the coil wire with a fully charged battery. It is an oem style lead acid and its only a couple weeks old. I went ahead and ordered an agm batt and it should be here in a couple days. What really boggles my mind is when it finally decides to run it does great until we het rainy weather. The bike is sheltered but suddenly i lose spark. This is the third time its happened since i bought it. After several days of dry weather it randomly decides to spark again. It Is an orange spark Not bright blue which makes me wonder as to why its so weak. The battery will be fully charged and usually on a 2a charger when i try it. I have tried jumping it from a standalone car battery with no luck in the past. There's no water on the engine or down the plug holes. I dont know if its the original coils/wires but they feel good not brittle or stiff when i handle them. I just put in a set of E3 plugs that only have about 120 miles on them at the most. I am wondering about my alternator and the charging system. I know electronics dont give any warning before they go out. Thank you All again for all your help

Bluewaterhooker0

Post by Bluewaterhooker0 » Tue Sep 19, 2017 4:41 pm

Random thoughts here.
Since it seems to be related to humidity levels, that would seem to eliminate the battery as a SOURCE of your problem.
Also, since a full size car battery is also incapable of starting the bike when it has the issue, that would seem to absolutely confirm that your battery is not the cause of your problem. An (good) automotive battery would have more than enough amperage to handle starting a Goldwing, if capacity were a problem.
That would point me in the direction of loose/corroded/weak wiring connections somewhere in the start circuitry, or something in the actual ignition circuitry arcing before the spark gets to the plugs/wires/coils. Distributor caps and wiring were known to suffer such problems back in the day.
If you have the "yellow" spark issue on all plugs when the problem presents itself, that would suggest the issue is before the ignition coils, or 3 simultaneously bad ignition coils (not likely).
Regarding those E3 plugs, I've seen it stated here more than once that the best plug for these bikes is the OEM NGK plug that came with it. I know that is also true of the Mustangs, one which I have. The best plugs, for whatever reason, is the OEM old school plugs that came with the new cars. The Mustang just seems to prefer them.

DarrellFields

Post by DarrellFields » Tue Sep 19, 2017 6:01 pm

Bluewaterhooker0 wrote:
Tue Sep 19, 2017 4:41 pm
Random thoughts here.
Since it seems to be related to humidity levels, that would seem to eliminate the battery as a SOURCE of your problem.
Also, since a full size car battery is also incapable of starting the bike when it has the issue, that would seem to absolutely confirm that your battery is not the cause of your problem. An (good) automotive battery would have more than enough amperage to handle starting a Goldwing, if capacity were a problem.
That would point me in the direction of loose/corroded/weak wiring connections somewhere in the start circuitry, or something in the actual ignition circuitry arcing before the spark gets to the plugs/wires/coils. Distributor caps and wiring were known to suffer such problems back in the day.
If you have the "yellow" spark issue on all plugs when the problem presents itself, that would suggest the issue is before the ignition coils, or 3 simultaneously bad ignition coils (not likely).
Regarding those E3 plugs, I've seen it stated here more than once that the best plug for these bikes is the OEM NGK plug that came with it. I know that is also true of the Mustangs, one which I have. The best plugs, for whatever reason, is the OEM old school plugs that came with the new cars. The Mustang just seems to prefer them.
I agree that if a full sized car battery wouldnt work then the problem should be somewhere inline. I have unplugged and cleaned every connection i can get to with contact cleaner. Ive pulled the lower and mid fairing covers off but never pulled the one that holds the windshield or dash cluster. Also i played hell getting the pulse generator plug loose and out to check ohms on it so the other plugs near it i didnt get to either. Im trying to avoid field stripping the fairing and bodywork if i can help it but i am at a loss. As i said earlier in the thread ive been working on cars since i was a kid but this Wing seems to have quirks and personality like ive never experienced before. I bought the bike because the transfer case in my truck is all but shot and it was only Originally supposed to need tires,a battery a headlight assy and the front fender fixed,, obviously its been far more to it. As far as the E3 plugs go i had seen several different people speaking up saying they helped their bikes run better. I did notice the dead spot in my throttle was gon last time it was running. Idk about mileage on the plugs that were in her but they were pretty nasty when i pulled them. I figured the e3's were worth a shot. Idk if i will go oem next change yet or not though. I'm assuming im probably gonna have to go ahead and start breaking her down in order to get at EVERY last single connector plug in order to clean them and assure myself they are as good as new. I agree three separate coils should not all die at the same time

ct1500
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500

Post by ct1500 » Tue Sep 19, 2017 6:50 pm

Bluewaterhooker0 wrote:
Tue Sep 19, 2017 4:41 pm
A fresh breath of logic. :)
I can almost guarantee the plug wires are past due on that '89.
Local and need repair help with your 1500, Valkyrie or ST please click contact
Nothing leaves my shop till its' perfect
This is what I do

Bluewaterhooker0

Post by Bluewaterhooker0 » Tue Sep 19, 2017 9:06 pm

Driving down the same path that says all three ignition coils are not likely to fail simultaneously, nor all three sets of (+) wire signals that feed the coils, I tend to look at what all 3 coils or the ICU have in common, and that is ground (-) wires.
The 1989 Service Manual shows a main ground "ON FRAME, UPPER DIPSTICK" that provides ground directly to the ICU. I would look at all those ground points shown on the drawing lower center, up to and including the battery. Another ground is fed to the ICU via the side stand switch, which could be prone to corrosion due to its location low on the bike. It might be worth bypassing that switch as one test.
Attachments

DarrellFields

Post by DarrellFields » Tue Sep 19, 2017 9:22 pm

Bluewaterhooker0 wrote:
Tue Sep 19, 2017 9:06 pm
Driving down the same path that says all three ignition coils are not likely to fail simultaneously, nor all three sets of (+) wire signals that feed the coils, I tend to look at what all 3 coils or the ICU have in common, and that is ground (-) wires.
The 1989 Service Manual shows a main ground "ON FRAME, UPPER DIPSTICK" that provides ground directly to the ICU. I would look at all those ground points shown on the drawing lower center, up to and including the battery. Another ground is fed to the ICU via the side stand switch, which could be prone to corrosion due to its location low on the bike. It might be worth bypassing that switch as one test.
I checked where the main ground attached at the engine and frame and they looked spotless. That being said i didnt know about the one by the side stand. I was planning on tearing the fairing down to the point i could trace all the main wires to the coil were connected and pulling the plugs and hitting em up good with contact cleaner. I was just looking at my haynes manual and it looks like a nightmare to pull the coil packs for cleaning or changing the wires. I will Definitely look harder into the ground tomorrow morning and heavily at the one by the side stand. Im also going to actually unbolt the ground from the motor and frame and clean and wire brush the hell out of All of them. Im really starting to wonder if i should redo the main ground wire altogether. Thanks for the help. If you look at my main ground hookup at the battery dude b4 me jury rigged it with a crimp connector. I tried soldering it but in retrospect the wires were probably fatigued and corroded to begin with. I used alot of soldering flux but it'll only do so much.

DarrellFields

Post by DarrellFields » Thu Sep 21, 2017 8:21 am

Well, as expected the new agm battery did Not make the bike run. Im tearing down as much as i can to get to the plugs so i can clean the connections on the wiring harness. I knew itd be a chore but damn virgil. Its probably gonna take me a day and a half just to reassemble everything lol. I've been trying to find a video on how to get the main fairing body off but so far no luck. Ive got all the obvious stuff apart. Im also going to go ahead and change put my dash speakers since its already apart and they sound like crap. My plan is to focus as much as possible on anything to do with the ignition system but so far its still like trying to find the forest through the trees. Idk why they had to make it nearly impossible to get to the plug clusters behind the side lights. I have rather large hands so it been a bear. Im trying to avoid taking apart anything i dont absolutely have to but it appears to me that most things in an area are pretty interconnected and in order to get off part d you hafta pull a,b and c first. I am also seriously considering running a secondary ground up to one of the coil mountong bolts.
Thoughts? Ideas? Thanks again to Everyone thats been helping.

Erdeniz Umman

Post by Erdeniz Umman » Thu Sep 21, 2017 8:45 am

If I remember correctly, you have done a direct connection from battery positive post to the black/white wire at the ICU, and the bike was running with this modification. What happened to that, did you remove the connection?

And also, check the connector of the ICU, is it connected firmly?
Last edited by Erdeniz Umman on Thu Sep 21, 2017 10:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

virgilmobile
Previously owned
78 GL1000
81 GL1100
82 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 standard
84 GL 1200 I

Post by virgilmobile » Thu Sep 21, 2017 9:08 am

The faring does not have to be removed to get the coil pack out.Its jammed in between the coolant overflow tank and carb body.The tank has to be removed.Its a bear to tilt it out.My88 had corrosion in the center coil and reduced the spark.The others were ok.

DarrellFields

Post by DarrellFields » Thu Sep 21, 2017 5:55 pm

Erdeniz Umman wrote:
Thu Sep 21, 2017 8:45 am
If I remember correctly, you have done a direct connection from battery positive post to the black/white wire at the ICU, and the bike was running with this modification. What happened to that, did you remove the connection?

And also, check the connector of the ICU, is it connected firmly?
It stopped working for me, also the bike wouldnt shut off when it was connected. I still have the wire attached but im careful not to let it touch ground. The jumper wire worked once but every time ive tried doing it since i still dont have any spark.
The pulse generators checked out the last time i checked them but i need to Recheck them again.
Also ive pulled and sprayed every connection i can with contact cleaner.
The reason i was thinking about pulling the main fairing body off was so that i could get to all the connectors that are squirreled away behind the side marker lights and the ones i can't see. I have the headlight off and some of the accessory lights disconnected and im still short on voltage. Its dropping to 10v or just below down to 9.8v. Im really starting to wonder if theres something bad with my starter. It seems to be drawing too many amps. It looks like its a bear to pull the starter though so i don't really want to pull it if i dont have to.
Attachments