93 GL1500 carb port labeling

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
dartmech
Motorcycle: 1993 GL1500 SE

93 GL1500 carb port labeling

Post by dartmech » Tue Oct 31, 2017 4:51 pm

Hello!
I've been searching for a couple hours here and haven't found quite what I'm looking for so I thought I'd post a question. If it has been answered I apologize.

I am checking/cleaning the carbs on my 93 SE, and I'm looking for any information as to what all the ports are on the inside of the carb throat.
The slides aren't as responsive as I think they should be (really have to rev the snot out of it before they even move a 1/4") so I took the slide diaphragms out and checked the vacuum chamber. When I sprayed cleaner into the vacuum port (the one under the butterfly valve), into the throat, it came shooting up through a standpipe at the top (#3 on the pic). This got me wondering how all the passages are routed in there. Seems to me like if opening the butterfly is suppose to create vacuum on the slide, the slides are not going to do much if it has another passage in which to suck air from.

In any case, I'm not too worried about fixing the slide issue, there are tons of threads on carbs and the vacuum leaks, I'm just looking for a helpful diagram to understand the internal flow.
Thank you for any help you may have!

So far I have:
1=?
2=?
3=?
4=?
5=Accelerator pump nozzle
6=port so the slides can compensate for air movement in the diaphragm. (?)