older style wet cell battery

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
Erdeniz Umman
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500SE

Re: older style wet cell battery

Post by Erdeniz Umman » Wed Nov 08, 2017 4:47 am

Fatwing Chris wrote:
Tue Nov 07, 2017 6:57 pm
The OEM batteries in Wing's have been AGM's for years.The extra CCA is what the 1500 works better with.Had a 1500 for 5 years and I gotta tell you the difference in the rpm that the AGM turned it over at seemed like it was double what the lead/acid did.No more lead/acid for me.Both my atv's have then too.My Can-Am sits in a cold garage all winter some times without a tender and it still always starts.

Better for the 1800 as well when I lay it down to change the rear wheel.
As I had stated before, I am not against the AGM batteries. They have just some advantages and disadvantages listed below.

As we know the first rule in troubleshooting business is "don't fix it, if it is not broken". So I would continue using the old one until it dies, then replace it with an AGM one, together with an Alternator that has higher output.

For the cranking capacity, the AGM batteries are absolutely better then wet cell batteries, because of the internal structure, especially of thinner plates inside.

However, as we know, the most important thing for the GL1500 is the voltage, not the amperage when starting the bike. After the modification given below, I tried to start the bike after a 2 hour headlight aiming work last year, and observed that the bike could start and run even at a very low voltage that the engine barely cranked. Unfortunately I forgot to measure the voltage, so I can't give a number but it was very low that I haven't experienced before.

http://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/2-g ... olved.html
Attachments

wilmo
Motorcycle: 2000 Goldwing 1500 SE White
2005 Yamaha Majesty 400

Post by wilmo » Wed Nov 08, 2017 9:57 am

Cycle 1 ended last night so I disconnected the battery letting it rest. This morning I measured 12.26V after sitting overnight. So the battery is showing signs of improvement and a mixing of electrolyte. I'll start the 2nd cycle later today.

wilmo
Motorcycle: 2000 Goldwing 1500 SE White
2005 Yamaha Majesty 400

Post by wilmo » Thu Nov 09, 2017 9:48 am

This morning at the end of cycle 2 and after resting the voltage is now 12.73V. I now believe this battery has been brought back to full potential. I'll do 1 more cycle and then get it tested.

Fatwing Chris
Motorcycle: 2004 ABS Model Goldwing

Post by Fatwing Chris » Thu Nov 09, 2017 11:12 am

Erdeniz Umman wrote:
Wed Nov 08, 2017 4:47 am
Fatwing Chris wrote:
Tue Nov 07, 2017 6:57 pm
The OEM batteries in Wing's have been AGM's for years.The extra CCA is what the 1500 works better with.Had a 1500 for 5 years and I gotta tell you the difference in the rpm that the AGM turned it over at seemed like it was double what the lead/acid did.No more lead/acid for me.Both my atv's have then too.My Can-Am sits in a cold garage all winter some times without a tender and it still always starts.

Better for the 1800 as well when I lay it down to change the rear wheel.
As I had stated before, I am not against the AGM batteries. They have just some advantages and disadvantages listed below.

As we know the first rule in troubleshooting business is "don't fix it, if it is not broken". So I would continue using the old one until it dies, then replace it with an AGM one, together with an Alternator that has higher output.

For the cranking capacity, the AGM batteries are absolutely better then wet cell batteries, because of the internal structure, especially of thinner plates inside.

However, as we know, the most important thing for the GL1500 is the voltage, not the amperage when starting the bike. After the modification given below, I tried to start the bike after a 2 hour headlight aiming work last year, and observed that the bike could start and run even at a very low voltage that the engine barely cranked. Unfortunately I forgot to measure the voltage, so I can't give a number but it was very low that I haven't experienced before.

http://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/2-g ... olved.html
I'd trust personal experience over something I read on the internet every time.Personal experience also showed me that you get 2 to 3 years longer out of an AGM.That covers the extra cost in my books.
BTW I doubt any bike battery could handle 2 hours of sitting with the key on never mind starting it after.
If I'da known it would last this long,I'da taken better care of it.
Chris
Double Dark
Darkside # 1602

Erdeniz Umman
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500SE

Post by Erdeniz Umman » Thu Nov 09, 2017 11:57 am

Fatwing Chris wrote:
Thu Nov 09, 2017 11:12 am
I'd trust personal experience over something I read on the internet every time.Personal experience also showed me that you get 2 to 3 years longer out of an AGM.That covers the extra cost in my books.
BTW I doubt any bike battery could handle 2 hours of sitting with the key on never mind starting it after.
I am trying to understand if you trust or doubt my experience.
I haven't said I left the key on for 2 hours, it was a 2 hour job, and after the job the battery was almost dead, that was the point I tried to express.