Arrowhead Alternator

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
glrider7
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500

Arrowhead Alternator

Post by glrider7 » Tue Nov 07, 2017 8:52 pm

I need to replace my alternator on my 2000 GL1500 SE. My Honda shop has the OEM and a aftermarket called Arrowhead GL Multi Fit. Anyone ever heard of them? Are they any good. It seems like Lactrical has a good reputation, but I would need to order it online.

Bluewaterhooker0
Motorcycle: 1997 Goldwing GL 1500 SE

Re: Arrowhead Alternator

Post by Bluewaterhooker0 » Tue Nov 07, 2017 10:15 pm

From a quick search, it looks like most Arrowheads are 40A like the OEM unit. They appear to have a higher output (90A) unit, listed on Amazon, and sold oddly enough by Lactrical. I definitely would go with a higher than 40A unit. Mine is an 85A Lactrical, and I'm very happy with it. The 85A and 90A Lactricals go for about $130-$150. If your shop can get you a high output one for a reasonable cost, and you don't feel comfortable installing it, that might be the way to go. Labor is minor. Maybe .5 - 1 hours. Have them replace the dampners while they are in there, an extra $20.

glrider7

Post by glrider7 » Wed Nov 08, 2017 12:24 am

Thanks,

I have no problem doing the job myself. One thing I learned from my Dad. Never pay someone to do something you can do yourself.

Thanks I will get the Lactrical.

wing rider 2012
Motorcycle: 2012 GL1800 Level I Blue/Silver
1998 GL1500 Aspy
1985 Venture Royal 1300
1979 GL1000

Post by wing rider 2012 » Wed Nov 08, 2017 1:39 pm

I've install a couple of the Lactrical alternators of 1500's, haven't had an issue with them. It's been about 5 years since I installed them and the owners of the 1500's said they are still working fine. I installed their 90 Amp Hi-Output alternator.
Vietnam Veteran
9th ID, Jan 69 - Oct 70
Member: Military Order of the Purple Heart
Member: Vietnam Veterans of America
Member: GWTA. Chapter A, Grants Pass, Oregon

glrider7

Post by glrider7 » Wed Nov 08, 2017 7:22 pm

Okay I have decided on buying a Lactrical. 2 questions.

1. I don't see an actual web pages for them so how do I know what model to buy? I have a 2000 GL1500 SE. If I have a problem as some have, how do I get a hold of them.
2. I have seen some people say that the plug on the Lactrical is not the same as the stock one that will be on my bike now. Is that true. I don't really want to start cutting wires and and attaching new plugs.

Bluewaterhooker0

Post by Bluewaterhooker0 » Thu Nov 09, 2017 12:06 am

https://www.amazon.com/LActrical-ALTERN ... dpSrc=srch

https://www.amazon.com/LACTRICAL-ALTERN ... alternator

Either one of these should do the trick. The same alternator was used on all models of 1500 (maybe not the Valkyrie) from 1990-2000. The variance was on the 1988-1989 models, and even then, it was just a mounting bolt difference. Just be sure when you select it, and check out, it is actually SOLD by Lactrical for a valid 1 year warranty. I went with the 85A model thinking it might be a bit smaller than the 95A version, and thus easier to install. It wasn't too bad to get in there. It is larger than the OEM unit, but no more difficult to install.

Here is their Facebook page with contact and phone info:
https://www.facebook.com/California-Alt ... 476180326/

The only plug connection is a 2-pin Hitachi plug, I believe it is called.
You can get the dampener kit and the plugs from Cyclemax.

http://cyclemax.com/inc/sdetail/gl1500_ ... /129/29165

http://cyclemax.com/inc/sdetail/2_wire_ ... /129/36020

The plug on mine was the same as OEM. The problem is that Honda buried the connector plug up high behind the left side of the bike plastic. Rather than dig all that plastic off this time, and for any future need of removal or replacement, I just cut the 1 wire, which is actually called an EXCITER wire, and put a matching plug on the OEM wire down in the alternator area, for ease of installation and future access. Very simple. It's a 2-pin plug, but only one conductor is actually used for the 1 wire. Another fringe benefit of doing it this way, as opposed to just cutting and splicing the wires, is there is no modification to the alternator wiring, and thus no warranty issues if they should arise.
The purpose of that wire is to provide a reference source of battery voltage to the alternator regulator, so it knows the battery state of charge, and the load requirements of the bike, and can adjust the voltage output, and thus the amperage output for correct battery maintenance.

I replaced mine almost 4 years ago, and 10K miles. I've had some health issues, so my mileage has been restricted these past 2 years. I actually did have a problem with the first alternator they sent me within a couple of months. It was a bit noisy, so I contacted them by phone and arranged for a replacement. Their customer service was pretty good. I've read of quite a few of these alternators being used by the guys on this forum, with generally good feedback.

glrider7

Post by glrider7 » Thu Nov 09, 2017 10:10 am

Blue,

Thanks for the great info. I am going to order the 95 amp. I can only seem to get the standard delivery which is 10-17 days from now. Do you know if there is a way to have it shipped sooner? I clicked on the learn more under the Lactical side and it tells me to select a shipping speed, but I don't see anywhere to do that. Maybe it is because it is coming to Canada.

Bluewaterhooker0

Post by Bluewaterhooker0 » Thu Nov 09, 2017 10:16 am

glrider7 wrote:
Thu Nov 09, 2017 10:10 am
Blue,

Thanks for the great info. I am going to order the 95 amp. I can only seem to get the standard delivery which is 10-17 days from now. Do you know if there is a way to have it shipped sooner? I clicked on the learn more under the Lactical side and it tells me to select a shipping speed, but I don't see anywhere to do that. Maybe it is because it is coming to Canada.
No idea. Shipping here in the states is very fast. Usually a couple of days. Call them and see what they know.

glrider7

Post by glrider7 » Tue Nov 21, 2017 12:45 am

Hi all,

Okay I decided to have the alternator shipped to the US since I only live about 30 minutes from the border. Went across the border, paid my $3 US to get the alternator and then went to Bellingham for lunch. Came back across the border with a full tank of gas (gotta love the cheap fuel in the USA), eggs, milk and cheese. No duty, and a few questions answered and we were back on the Canadian side.

Had problems getting the old alternator out. Couldn't get it to back up enough. I finally figured out tonight that the wire is a holder attached to the alternator, so I was pulling the wire tight and then the alternator wouldn't move. Once I took the wire out of the holder, it was pretty easy.

Now I get to the new alternator find it is not exactly the same. On the old one the wire fit directly into the back of the alternator. The new alternator comes with a lot more wires and I am not sure if it is just because they want to offer as much flexibility as possible, but I want to make sure I am connecting things correctly. I took some pics to show what I got.

old_alternator_receptical
old_alternator_receptical

old_alternator_male
old_alternator_male

new_alternator_plugs_joined
new_alternator_plugs_joined

new_alternator_solo_plug
new_alternator_solo_plug

On the new alternator the two plugs in the plugs joined pic were already connected together. Maybe that is just coincidence.

Do I just take the one wire from the Lactrical that fits the wire from my bike and ignore the others. Of course I have another wire that fits onto the bolt on the alternator attached with a nut.

Another question I have is how important is to replace the rubber pieces inside. I forget what they are called.

Bluewaterhooker0

Post by Bluewaterhooker0 » Tue Nov 21, 2017 1:08 am

The rubber parts are called dampeners. They dampen the connection and vibration between the engine drive mechanism, and the alternator drive paddles. They should ideally, be replaced with a new alternator. You could probably forgo the replacement for right now, but order a set and install them soon.
From my memory, there are only 2 wires to connect the alternator. The heavy battery type cable that attaches to the large nut on the alternator, and the much smaller single conductor wire that has a 2-conductor plug on the end (the last picture in your post). The rest should already be wired as it should be. I wouldn't swap any wires from the old alternator to the new. Those connections may or may not match.
An overall picture of the alternator exactly as it was shipped to you would be helpful.

glrider7

Post by glrider7 » Tue Nov 21, 2017 1:25 am

okay I will take one and send it.

glrider7

Post by glrider7 » Tue Nov 21, 2017 2:07 am

The two connectors together were like that when I unpackaged it. The only other cable doesn't match the plug on my bike which is a T-connector just like female on the old alt.

Bluewaterhooker0

Post by Bluewaterhooker0 » Tue Nov 21, 2017 11:38 am

glrider7 wrote:
Tue Nov 21, 2017 2:07 am
2zghw6c.jpg
14lre4i.jpg

The two connectors together were like that when I unpackaged it. The only other cable doesn't match the plug on my bike which is a T-connector just like female on the old alt.
OK. As it was shipped to you, is exactly how it should be used. Disregarding the additional plug that they added to the assembly, you have only 2 connections. The large nut for the heavy cable, and the single wire that terminates in a 2-pin plug. That is the plug that I referenced in my original post. I suggested getting some matching plug assemblies from Cyclemax, and also the dampeners, with links to both.

http://cyclemax.com/inc/sdetail/2_wire_ ... /129/36020

http://cyclemax.com/inc/sdetail/gl1500_ ... /129/29165

You don't have to have the plug, you can just cut and splice the single alternator wire, to the single wire coming from further up in the bike. Or, you can take the bike apart and you will find a 2-pin plug that matches the one on your new alternator.. My suggestion just makes it easier, and neater for future disassembly. This is really easy. Just the 2 wires. The heavy one bolts on, the single thin wire connects via your choice of connection method. Leave their additional plug assembly as-is.