LED light bar

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
madmonkey
Motorcycle: 1982 Aspencade

LED light bar

Post by madmonkey » Wed Nov 08, 2017 12:40 pm

Hello all,

Has anyone mounted a LED light bar underneath the chin fairing on their GL1500? I've got a 2000 SE and have been looking at 1500-2500 lumen light bars that would tuck right under there and wire into the high beam circuit. Has anyone done this yet? In the region below. https://www.superbrightleds.com/moreinf ... -36w/3669/
Attachments

wilmo
Motorcycle: 2000 Goldwing 1500 SE White
2005 Yamaha Majesty 400

Re: LED light bar

Post by wilmo » Wed Nov 08, 2017 12:50 pm

Yes I have the light bar from cyclemax. This photo doesn't show how its mounted but it uses the two holes just under the lip of the fairing. Those holes have two bolts in them now holding your fairing on.

madmonkey

Post by madmonkey » Wed Nov 08, 2017 12:54 pm

Can you post a link to the specific light bar? I just went on their website and dont see it. Do you like the output in terms of lumens and ability to enhance your ability to ride at night?

wilmo
Motorcycle: 2000 Goldwing 1500 SE White
2005 Yamaha Majesty 400

Post by wilmo » Wed Nov 08, 2017 1:01 pm

I was trying to upload a picture of it but having difficulty. The bar does not include lights. http://www.cyclemax.com/inc/sdetail/gl1 ... /79/192874. And it went up in price, I paid $38 for mine this summer. May want to look around. You can mount any light you want on these, I'll try to upload a picture but this site is difficult to get it done, keeps complaining about the size even when I reduce it.

madmonkey

Post by madmonkey » Wed Nov 08, 2017 1:54 pm

Thanks Wilmo! Different kind of bar from what I was thinking, but I can see its usefulness!

Bluewaterhooker0
Motorcycle: 1997 Goldwing GL 1500 SE

Post by Bluewaterhooker0 » Thu Nov 09, 2017 12:37 am

I have EXACTLY the same setup as in your picture. I got the bar from Show Chrome. I had to call them to order it separately without the Halogen lights that they usually sell with that bar. All I wanted was the bar. I think it was about $50. Kinda pricey, but pretty good quality, and keeps its looks if you keep a coat of wax on it. The lights I used look exactly like the ones in the photo. I got them off Ebay pretty cheap. I wasn't sure of the quality, but after 3 years and 10K miles, they are working great. I got the SPOT version, which I believe is the only version to get, as there is still plenty of side scatter of the light to illuminate the roadside and signs, etc.

Either one of these should work great. I have both versions, but only installed the single LED version. I bought the 6 LED version as a backup if the originals should fail. As far as fitment, the larger version might be an issue.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2pcs-18W-Cree- ... 5d719a7caa

https://www.ebay.com/itm/10W-Cree-LED-W ... 5d7467e26b

I really couldn't tell a visible difference between the 10W and 18W versions regarding light output, or the focus beam of the light. They were almost identical. I have to say, the light bar you linked in your post, I have seen on some trucks around here. They can be quite blinding to oncoming vehicles. I run mine in both low and high beams. I don't seem to annoy very many folks with the brightness at night. They are VERY bright. An excellent assist to the stock headlights.

MikeB
Motorcycle: 1998 - GL1500 Aspencade.
2003 - GL1800A

Post by MikeB » Sat Nov 11, 2017 1:53 am

madmonkey wrote:
Wed Nov 08, 2017 12:40 pm
Hello all,

Has anyone mounted a LED light bar underneath the chin fairing on their GL1500? I've got a 2000 SE and have been looking at 1500-2500 lumen light bars that would tuck right under there and wire into the high beam circuit. Has anyone done this yet? In the region below. https://www.superbrightleds.com/moreinf ... -36w/3669/
What you see in the picture was originally a Show Chrome 2-542 Mini Halogen Driving light set I installed in 2004.

In 2014, I removed the current hungry Mini Halogen lamps and installed the lower current draw LED assemblies.
These two 10 Watt lamps produce as much if not more forward lights as the Halogen lamps at a current reduction of about 90 watts.

The link to the light bar you have attached is one that I would not recommend for mounting on a bike for normal road use. It looks to be more of an area light than anything else.
MikeB
Tacoma, WA, USA

Mh434
Motorcycle: 1997 gl1500 SE
Previous:
1981 GL1100I
1989 Kawasaki Concours

Post by Mh434 » Sat Nov 11, 2017 12:52 pm

I mounted a pair of the black-housing lights like MikeB has pictured, above. They're 10 watts each, and produce more light each than a halogen on high beam (while using 1/6 of the power). I've had mine for a couple of years, and they seem to be bulletproof (and waterproof).

madmonkey

Post by madmonkey » Sat Nov 11, 2017 5:06 pm

MikeB wrote:
Sat Nov 11, 2017 1:53 am
madmonkey wrote:
Hello all,

What you see in the picture was originally a Show Chrome 2-542 Mini Halogen Driving light set I installed in 2004.
ShowChrome 2-542.jpg
In 2014, I removed the current hungry Mini Halogen lamps and installed the lower current draw LED assemblies.
These two 10 Watt lamps produce as much if not more forward lights as the Halogen lamps at a current reduction of about 90 watts.
LED Driving.jpg
The link to the light bar you have attached is one that I would not recommend for mounting on a bike for normal road use. It looks to be more of an area light than anything else.
Hi Mike- I'm looking at everything to put under there. I've done a lot of research on lights, the multi led bar type that are combo spot/spread seem to be fantastic as a high beam supplement. But I'm open to anything and value the experience and advice of folks who have done this already. Thanks!

Bluewaterhooker0
Motorcycle: 1997 Goldwing GL 1500 SE

Post by Bluewaterhooker0 » Sat Nov 11, 2017 8:54 pm

madmonkey wrote:
Sat Nov 11, 2017 5:06 pm
MikeB wrote:
Sat Nov 11, 2017 1:53 am
madmonkey wrote:
Hello all,

ShowChrome 2-542.jpg
LED Driving.jpg
Hi Mike- I'm looking at everything to put under there. I've done a lot of research on lights, the multi led bar type that are combo spot/spread seem to be fantastic as a high beam supplement. But I'm open to anything and value the experience and advice of folks who have done this already. Thanks!

I suppose if you are strictly looking for a high beam only supplement, the bar that you are looking at may work fine from a lighting standpoint, since the assumption is, on high beams no one else is coming down the opposing highway to blind. Although it's a pretty tight fit on the Show Chrome bar under the front headlight area, so fitting them on that bar might be an issue (most likely be an issue). My bullet shaped lights JUST fit with enough clearance to make them "aimable". The nature of LEDs is a 180 degree dispersion of light. On the single bullet shaped SPOT light, the lens does a pretty good job of focusing a beam down the road, but as I stated, there is still quite a bit of side scatter, but from my experience, not so much that it is causing irritation for drivers approaching me at night, as mine are on all the time. I opted to run mine on HIGH and LOW beam operation, for better general daytime and nightime visibility, and they are certainly VERY visible in daylight running. The bar that you are looking at appears to be only a FLOOD, or combo Flood/Spot, and would be relegated to open highway high beam use, with no oncoming traffic only.
That would be my opinion on the selection and use of the lights being discussed.

madmonkey

Post by madmonkey » Sat Nov 11, 2017 9:15 pm

I suppose if you are strictly looking for a high beam only supplement, the bar that you are looking at may work fine from a lighting standpoint, since the assumption is, on high beams no one else is coming down the opposing highway to blind. Although it's a pretty tight fit on the Show Chrome bar under the front headlight area, so fitting them on that bar might be an issue (most likely be an issue). My bullet shaped lights JUST fit with enough clearance to make them "aimable". The nature of LEDs is a 180 degree dispersion of light. On the single bullet shaped SPOT light, the lens does a pretty good job of focusing a beam down the road, but as I stated, there is still quite a bit of side scatter, but from my experience, not so much that it is causing irritation for drivers approaching me at night, as mine are on all the time. I opted to run mine on HIGH and LOW beam operation, for better general daytime and nightime visibility, and they are certainly VERY visible in daylight running. The bar that you are looking at appears to be only a FLOOD, or combo Flood/Spot, and would be relegated to open highway high beam use, with no oncoming traffic only.
That would be my opinion on the selection and use of the lights being discussed.
Yes, my primary concern is with having them as high beam assist. I live in Eastern CT- deer country...I need all the light I can reasonably install. I know there are bullet styles available in high lumen output, those are of interest. The chin fairing has a nice, flat surface area under there, ideal for drilling and mounting several different styles. If anyone can post actual nighttime pics/video of their setups that would be great.