Cruise Control problems

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
Sidcar
Motorcycle: 1995 GL1500 SE (20th Anniversary) and Squire RX4 sidecar

Cruise Control problems

Post by Sidcar » Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:06 am

The cruise control didn't work when I bought this bike, the warning light bulbs are good the system switches on but will not set. Having had to dismantle the right side of the fairing in the fitting of a new r/h handlebar switch I thought it would be a good time to fix the cruise control, looking at the bike now I wish I hadn't bothered.
Having checked the the readings at the control unit plug I have found two faults so far
Rear brake cancel switch open circuit. removed, cleaned and adjusted so now works fine.
Throttle cancel switch open circuit. The Honda workshop manual I have is dated 1988 and, although the wiring and connector plug colours are the same, it shows theTCS to be a micro switch fitted under the carbs where as mine is a unit in the return throttle cable mounted on the side of the frame. Does anyone know if this tests out the same or how to repair if necessary?
I've got the side plate off the unit and there appears to be two sets of contact inside. I'm trying to get it of the bike at the moment.
Sid
Attachments

Erdeniz Umman
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500SE

Re: Cruise Control problems

Post by Erdeniz Umman » Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:41 am

I don't remember a switch under the carb. As far as I know, the only throttle cancel switch is the one in the picture.

Actually, you can bypass the throttle cancel switch by jumping two pins in its connector, and continue troubleshooting.

Sidcar

Post by Sidcar » Tue Nov 14, 2017 4:44 pm

The throttle cancel switch was faulty. Honda said do not to take it apart replace it, but as I'd just paid an eye watering sum to Honda for a new handlebar switch I stripped, cleaned and rebuilt it. It now works fine, I can't see why Honda insist on replacement. I tried the bike out this afternoon and the cruise control now works, on ordinary roads anyway. I'll be trying it out on the motorway in the next few days.

Sid

welmack
Motorcycle: 1998 Goldwing GL1500SE
Gone but not forgotten:
1953 Cushman
1963 Harley 74
1962 Harley 74
1984 Suzuki Madura
1984 GL1200
1988 GL1500
2005 GL1800 CSC Trike
2013 Harley Sportster XL883L
Loved them all at the time but I prefer the 1500's.

Post by welmack » Tue Nov 14, 2017 5:24 pm

Good job on cleaning the cancellation control. I hate to trash a dealer but they don't usually clean or repair things, they just replace things. By telling you not to clean it they stood to sell a new part and possibly do the labor. In working around American shops I quickly learned that R&R meant remove and replace. Too much time would be spent repairing parts. If it could be replaced then that was the standing order. It was amazing how many repairable parts went out the doors for the tech's benefit, either for sale or use. Don't blame the tech's, it was caused by the shops hunger for quick repairs. This is not true for all shops as some of the small shops still actually "repair" things. Congrats on beating the system.

Swagonmaster
Motorcycle: 1990 gl1500 SE

Post by Swagonmaster » Sun Nov 19, 2017 3:42 pm

Just so everyone knows, part of the reason shops prefer to replace parts rather than clean them is summed up by a shop owner thar I worked for a number of years ago, "if I let you clean that switch I make a little money and I have the responsibility if it ever comes back, if we replace the part I make a little money, it is repaired quickly and the responsibility is on the manufacturer". Some of the best paid techs are the best part replacers as they don't have comebacks.

wingdings
Motorcycle: Honda Goldwing gl 1989

Post by wingdings » Sun Nov 19, 2017 5:27 pm

Try - this fella !!!! -

and then - go look at this too !!! -

along with this too -

- hope this may help you :D :D :D :D :D :D ...

Sidcar

Post by Sidcar » Mon Nov 20, 2017 3:36 am

Thanks for all the info I'm storing it away in case of future problems. Having been in the motor trade for fifty years I sympathise with the technicians point of view but not everyone is rolling in cash. You should always put the choices to the customer, with your recommendations, and let the customer make the final decision. His bike, his money.
However that doesn't explain why Honda say "do not dismantle". There's nothing complicated about the switches construction. How long will my repair last? Watch this space.
Rode the Wing yesterday, lovely sunny autumn morning, again on ordinary roads but I was able to check the accel / decell action which worked perfectly. Forecast for the rest of the week is lousy so no motorway test just yet.
Off to the Motorcycle Show at Birmingham NEC soon so I'll be checking out the new Goldwing (but I'll be sticking with my old GL1500 thanks).

Sid

wingdings
Motorcycle: Honda Goldwing gl 1989

Post by wingdings » Mon Nov 20, 2017 1:14 pm

Not a problem Sid - I came across this how to - please take a look - and read too - its a simple thing that gets over looked but does affect other systems on the bike also - take a look at this - viewtopic.php?t=12622 - it can even effect cruise control too !!! ... ??? :o :o :o :o :o