fuel pump test !!!

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
wingdings
Motorcycle: Honda Goldwing gl 1989

fuel pump test !!!

Post by wingdings » Mon Nov 13, 2017 4:35 am

Hi - all saw this on you tube - so passing it on too fellow wingers out there - for all those who are having starting problems and think its the fuel pump :o :o :o :o

Erdeniz Umman
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500SE

Re: fuel pump test !!!

Post by Erdeniz Umman » Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:34 am

wingdings wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2017 4:35 am
Hi - all saw this on you tube - so passing it on too fellow wingers out there - for all those who are having starting problems and think its the fuel pump :o :o :o :o
Just a side note about this subject, there is a difference between the 88-89 models and the later models, as far as I have learned from the old posts.

On 88-89 models the pump runs 1-2 seconds and then stops when the key is turned on.

On the later models, the pump doesn't do that, although it is explained to be the same as the 88-89 models in the service manual.

wingdings

Post by wingdings » Mon Nov 13, 2017 1:21 pm

yeah - thanks for that there too !! - I am trying to fix a mates 88 euro - wing - with starting problems - you turn the key on - yet you cannot hear the pump run at all !!! ??? - other problems are that it starts sometimes and runs and when you go back to start it again - nothing not even a click - the dash lights up but nothing else works - turn it off and leave it - go back !! turn the key the bugger starts right away - you think the dam thing had a ghost - lol .. I am thinking the problem is the starter solenoid my friend has ordered a new one - will fit tomorrow - however I don't think this will be the end of the problem because I own a 1989 k - wing - US import model and on that as soon as you turn the key and set the run switch - you can clearly hear it start up on my friends you hear nothing - strange thing here is - if it was that - that was causing the problem - How come the bike still starts up and runs fine untill you turn it off again - that is ??? ... maybe - its a dicky relay somewhere - yes ??? .... :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
Last edited by wingdings on Mon Nov 13, 2017 4:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

virgilmobile
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500 I
Previously owned
78 GL1000
81 GL1100
82 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 standard
84 GL 1200 I

Post by virgilmobile » Mon Nov 13, 2017 2:59 pm

Yes to the relay.Its #8.
If the bank angle switch is ok,this relay should click when you turn on the key.It feeds main power to the ignition.
It can be swapped with another for testing before just buying another one.
Also,my pump will "cycle"every time the kill switch is cycled.

wingdings

Post by wingdings » Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:18 pm

Just finished fixing - my friend's 1988 - euro wing - with the starting problem - Changed out the starter solenoid for a new one - then replaced relay 8 and 3 too with a couple of new one's - the bike now fires up right away - and works too !!! - You can hear relay 8 clicking - however you still cannot hear the fuel pump do its cycle - very strange indeed ???? - As I thought that the 88's and 89 models all the fuel pumps ran for a few seconds and then went off ?? - my own wing is a U.S 1989 import and that cycles the fuel pump before starting - I was wondering if the euro - 1988 model is different ??- or has the last owner fitted a later model style fuel pump as a replacement for the original one - that would explain why the bike is now staring up and working fine now even though you cannot hear the fuel pump do it start up cycle .

Anyway its fixed and working too !!!!.. :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

A very big - big shout out and thank-you too - too - virgilmobile his advice and input were spot on !!- also too - Erdeniz Umman - for his post it all helped make this repair a great -success !! agaIn a very big THANKYOU !!! :D :D :D :D :D