Seafoam and Lucas

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
William Hopgood
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500/6

Seafoam and Lucas

Post by William Hopgood » Fri Nov 17, 2017 6:07 pm

i have a tapping sound in my case it started after changing the oil ive seen lot of stuff on sea foam and wondered if if could help not only put some in gas tank but also in the oil then do an oil change and has anyone ever used lucas oil treatment in a wing did it help ???? i know lucas is thick and i don't want to plug any oil orpheus up any advice ???

AZgl1800
Motorcycle: '02 GL1800 still young at 111,980 miles

Re: Seafoam and Lucas

Post by AZgl1800 » Fri Nov 17, 2017 6:18 pm

Never used a Lucas product, but have a lot of experience with Sea Foam.

and IMO, SF is all you need to take care of most maintenance on your bike's oil and gas problems.

in the crankcase, just add 4 oz of SF and ride for 100-200 miles, drain the cruddy looking junk out, and with a new filter, use your favorite flavor of oil.

In the gas tank, if you run a half can per fillup for several tanks, it will eventually dissolve the solids in the idle circuits and keep the engine idling better.

I once had a 94SE that I bought that had been setting in Glendale, AridZona for a couple of years. The carbs were a mess... instead of doing an overhaul, I just ran SF with every fillup for about six months, it finally dissolved everything and the engine ran like it should.

The key to SF is patience, it is NOT an overnight panacea fix all.

Initially, I poured in 1 can for the first tank, and let the engine idle for an hour, watching it to make sure the fans cycled as they should. I did that every night when I came in from work, setting it up on the center stand and left it idling for about an hour/day for a week.... that sucks the SF into the idle circuits.

After that, I just used a half can per tank of fuel every time I got gas.... it did the trick, but it took a few months.
John
'02 Gl1800 Hot Rod Yellow,
daughter named her Big Bird :lol:
http://www.goldwingfacts.com

William Hopgood

Post by William Hopgood » Fri Nov 17, 2017 8:49 pm

Thanks this bike is my daily driver was thinking about doing a SF treatment now i know i will...but in addition i was looking and can't find anyone who has used lucas on a wing then i found this [youtube]

[/YouTube]

bellboy40
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500SE
Candy Spectra Red

Post by bellboy40 » Sat Nov 18, 2017 9:02 am

That you-tube video reminded me of a demo I saw at a rod run one time. He had a machine like that and was testing various types of oil and additives. Mainly he was extolling the virtues of Slick 50. It acted much the same way as the Best Line that guy was testing. My guess is that stuff would not be good for the wet clutches. It makes stuff pretty slick.

William Hopgood

Post by William Hopgood » Sat Nov 18, 2017 10:17 am

Good point I forgot about the clutch

AZgl1800

Post by AZgl1800 » Sat Nov 18, 2017 12:56 pm

"Slick 50" type products are going to be very bad for the wet clutch.

also, if you think of something that is "more powerful" than Sea Foam, just be aware that product just might very well dissolve parts of the carb that you don't want to destroy.

Aluminum is not appreciative of strong caustic solutions, nor are the rubber parts.
John

chads920
Motorcycle: 93 1500A Gold Wing - Champion Trike
03 Yamaha RSV (sold)
89 Yamaha VR (sold)
90 Bunkhouse tent trailer (sold)
2016 Bunkhouse - Queen

Post by chads920 » Fri Dec 01, 2017 10:48 pm

I stopped using synthetic oil that the PO had been using and went to dino oil and added 500 ml of Lucus. My clutch stopped slipping and the noise was reduced overall. I'll likely use SF prior to my next change just to clean out the sludge and SF my gas to clean out the carb as I'm having issues with idle surging.
Sometimes your find yourself on a lonely open road, sometimes on a open road you find yourself.
BBM - PIN 24DF1560
Member of the Royal Canadian Legion Br. 227, Legion Rider Unit member

AZgl1800

Post by AZgl1800 » Sat Dec 02, 2017 11:20 am

good choice.

SF is a long proven product, originally made for marine engines back before WWII.
John

Shawn4245
Motorcycle: 1988 Gl1500

Post by Shawn4245 » Sat Dec 09, 2017 2:55 pm

Tapping sound issue,(1988 Gl1500 36K miles) I had this tapping sound, especially when the bike was parked for a few days. It would tap/click like a telegraph while the bike warmed up. I was a new bike to me and this really concerned me. I did a bunch of reading here and even sent a few PM's to get some advice. Here is what seemed to be the issue with mine. I had some sort of lifter knock, I would suspect it was gummed up from sitting for long periods of time. So I did the seafoam in the gas ran several tanks (5 or so) then added to the oil and rode a 100 miles and did an oil change, I don't think it did much. Then someone told me to do the Marvels Mystery Oil in the crank and run it again for a 100 miles. I had never heard of this Marvels before, but it was pretty cheap, so why not. I ran it and the bike sounded and acted different, so I drove it 300+miles then did the oil change, WOW my oil coming out was as dirty as could be and it was only 400 miles old at this point. I refilled the bike and could notice a different sound and the clicking was less while warming up. So I drove about 500 miles and did the treatment again and this time let it stay in for 1000 miles (for me a week of riding) I could barely hear the tapping at the end of the week. I was using the Honda oil for the bike. This time I did the oil change, again the oil was grayish black, but not as bad as the fist time. I always use the Honda Filter, but this time by advice of a few well known riders here on the boards. I switched to Delo 400le 15w40. This was the magic my bike needed. The bike was near silent while warming up, the Honda "CLUNK" while shifting was very smooth and much less a CLUNK and the over all shifting was much smoother. I have now used this oil for over two years and 40K miles and LOVE it. I Love it so much I have my sons 81 Honda CX500x and my wifes84 Honda VF700c both using the same oil. It works and the bikes seem to work better because of it. I have also done the mystery oil in both of those bikes, 1 time, because it could only help these classic, feel and act younger. I hope this helps you out. I was chasing the tapping in fear that it was a major transmission problem and even thought the PO sold me his bike knowing that it had a possible fatal injury. I still think he did sell it for that reason, but it wasn't the fatal issue he thought, It was just a sticky lifter and a few oil changes and a qt of mystery oil (<$5) fixed it and I have a great bike!