Speedo Needle Sticking

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
Fiberthree
Motorcycle: Black 1999 GL1500SE

Speedo Needle Sticking

Post by Fiberthree » Fri Dec 01, 2017 8:36 pm

If my Wing sits for a day or two the speedometer needle wont move when I start to go. I can be moving at 35-45 MPH and it still reads 0. The odometer still racks up the miles and if I flick the instrument panel just in front of the gauge it will awaken it and then it functions as it should. The tach will do the same thing too. I did convert to LED backlighting a while back, so I've had the panel out. I have also removed it to see if there was any gunk or sticky residue any where in the cluster but haven't found anything. Any thoughts on cleaning solutions and/or lubricating the movement? How do you get the needle off the stem without damaging or destroying anything?
I only have a little over 176K on the bike.

Ed

WARNING: All posts are subject to influence from an uncontrollable dominant sarcastic gene. Offensive remarks may or may not be intentional.

Erdeniz Umman
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500SE

Re: Speedo Needle Sticking

Post by Erdeniz Umman » Sat Dec 02, 2017 3:48 am

If the odometer works correctly, then the problem is in the speedometer gauge.
Have you cleaned the pin where the speedometer needle rests on?
It may collect grease on it and it may be sticky holding the needle.

Also check and clean the aluminum cup (or drum whatever it is called) where the magnets rotate. There may be some grease collected and hardened there preventing the drum from rotating freely.

Fiberthree

Post by Fiberthree » Sat Dec 02, 2017 9:41 pm

I give it a closer look. I didn't see anything the first time. Any idea how to get the indicator off the pin without breaking it? I tried to gently pull up on it but it didn't want to budge.
Ed

WARNING: All posts are subject to influence from an uncontrollable dominant sarcastic gene. Offensive remarks may or may not be intentional.

kane67
Motorcycle: Honda GL1500-88

Post by kane67 » Sun Dec 03, 2017 2:30 am

I think important is to get it straight up, spoons both side of pin or maybe suitable fork?
When I changed faces to mine, it was a bit exiting cause they didn’t pop up too easy :D
Also might be good to use paper etc over faces so the ”tool” will not leave any marks to face...

Erdeniz Umman

Post by Erdeniz Umman » Sun Dec 03, 2017 10:31 am

You don't need to remove the needle to do the things in my previous post.
The pin that I mentioned is the black pin on the 0 line.

Fiberthree

Post by Fiberthree » Sun Dec 03, 2017 11:12 am

I understood your first post Erdeniz. But I also was inquiring about the pointer removal. When I converted to LED backlight, I got the nice blue color I was looking for. However, I can't really see the pointer position at night and was thinking of illuminating just the pointer with a small white LED aimed at its base. That modification would require the removal of the pointer to get the LED positioned correctly. Seeing how delicate the assembly appears to be I am very leery about just trying to "pop" it off.

Ed

Erdeniz Umman

Post by Erdeniz Umman » Sun Dec 03, 2017 1:09 pm

Fiberthree wrote:
Sun Dec 03, 2017 11:12 am
I understood your first post Erdeniz. But I also was inquiring about the pointer removal. When I converted to LED backlight, I got the nice blue color I was looking for. However, I can't really see the pointer position at night and was thinking of illuminating just the pointer with a small white LED aimed at its base. That modification would require the removal of the pointer to get the LED positioned correctly. Seeing how delicate the assembly appears to be I am very leery about just trying to "pop" it off.
LED Dash 03.jpg
Ok, if you want to remove the needle, you will need to remove the black cap first, then the needle itself with the spoon method.

Before removing the needle, I recommend you mark the drum and corresponding point on the bar behind, to use it when reinstalling. Otherwise the spring tension may be different and speedometer may not read correctly.

Actually, I had used this method to calibrate my speedometer because it was reading 10km/h less after 90km/h. Now it reads more correctly.
Attachments

Fiberthree

Post by Fiberthree » Sun Dec 03, 2017 5:00 pm

I shall give that a try...
After I thoroughly examine the components you mentioned in your first post.
Thank you.

Ed