Wired or Wireless - I say BOTH

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
goldwingclueless
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
2004 ST1300

Wired or Wireless - I say BOTH

Post by goldwingclueless » Sat Dec 02, 2017 12:59 pm

Hello all,

This is something I did back in August and wanted to share as I am not sure anyone else has done this or not.
Please note that this is something that I did and sharing as information only.
Your state laws may or may not allow this and I take no blame for someone else's actions to their own helmet or police citations. ;)

Being in the position I am at my employment, I need to be "on-call" 24/7/365 and I receive audio alerts and or phone calls for various system issues that arise. While out riding the bike, my phone would vibrate and give an audio alert that I specified for these types of calls, emails, alerts, which I would feel from my hip holster phone case. IF I would hear or feel the alerts, I would then quickly pull over (or just grab it while riding :shock: ) and check to see what was going on and if I needed to get to work ASAP or if it was something I could handle remotely or with a phone call. I decided there had to be a way to install a Bluetooth System in my helmet that I could connect to my phone and receive those alerts directly to my ears so I would KNOW by the alert sound how I needed to respond or if it was a false alarm.

I have a J&M headset installed in my HJC helmet and one in my new this year Shark Explorer-R helmet for plugging into the 1500 5-pin system. With my Shark helmet I added a SENA SMH10R Bluetooth system so I have BOTH wired and wireless systems in there.

What I did was move the J&M wired speakers from the speaker pockets in the helmet padding and cut a hole big enough and deep enough into the hard foam to fit the J&M speakers in there and be a little under flush with the hard foam. I already had the J&M Mic installed that way in the area of my mouth (I found doing it that way cuts down on wind noise).

I then installed the SENA system on the side of my helmet just above where the J&M system connection is and ran the speaker’s wires under the foam padding and placed those speakers in the speaker pockets. The battery pack for the SENA system is attached to the back of the helmet with the wires run under the foam padding over to the SENA controller providing the necessary power. I also ran the SENA Mic to the front area and again cut a hole in the hard foam to insert the mic down into the foam.

With this setup, the SENA speakers are over the top of the J&M speakers, the SENA Mic next to the J&M Mic and the SENA controller is above the J&M system connection for the bike 5-pin connection. The J&M speakers do get "muffled" just a bit, so I had to turn up the bikes audio volume a bit more then I normally would have to, but that is NOT a deal breaker for me. Also the J&M speakers are deep enough in the hard foam that there is no unwanted pressure on my ears from both sets of speakers being there.

I have to say I wish I would have done this a few years earlier as MY results are great! On the Wing, I can use the normal wired connection for the bikes audio, my satellite radio, my GPS and the Wings CB (some of the guys I ride with are "old school" and will not change to wireless). I can also connect to my phone to answer or make phone calls, hear my "the bull-plop has hit the fan at work" alerts and have my incoming email titles and subject line read to me as well as text messages (with 3rd party phone apps). On the ST1300 I can listen to music from my phone, make and receive calls and receive my work alerts.

People that I have talked with on the phone say they cannot tell I am riding down the road on my motorcycles, they do say I sound a little deeper voiced but nothing adverse - I LOVE IT !!

SENA and J&M System
SENA and J&M System

SENA and J&M System
SENA and J&M System

SENA Battery Pack
SENA Battery Pack

SENA and J&M Mic's
SENA and J&M Mic's

SENA Speakers in Speaker Pockets
SENA Speakers in Speaker Pockets

J&M Speakers in helmet's hard foam
J&M Speakers in helmet's hard foam

bellboy40
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500SE
Candy Spectra Red

Re: Wired or Wireless - I say BOTH

Post by bellboy40 » Sun Dec 03, 2017 10:01 am

That is ingenious and likely the only one of its kind. Glad it works out for you. Thanks for posting it.