aux hook up on GW 1999

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
Gdgiò
Motorcycle: Yamaha dragstar Classic (sold)
HD883
Goldwing SE 1999

aux hook up on GW 1999

Post by Gdgiò » Sun Dec 03, 2017 7:58 am

hello all the audience..

i am going to follow your great tip for adding the direct aux to read external sound sources. as additional improvement , i purchased a Wireless bluthoot converter to add ,so i can get rid of any boring cables (exept charging USB cable ) :?

to do this , i follow the topic at this link viewtopic.php?f=14&t=5316&hilit=add+aux
but still some doubts :
i opened the radio case and he PCB is different from the one mentioned in the post so 2 questions:
- also in my PCB lay out , do i have to solder the wires to C139 and C 140?
-Ground should be easy to identify... any gorunds is ground ! :D
-if yes, shall i solder them to positive pins of the capacitors?
- in this case, C139 is left chanel and 140 is right chanel?
I assume that soldering the wires to + C139 and +C140 should be ok...pls confirm

thanks a lot
gdgiò

i attach my 1999 GW radio PCB where you can see the difference from the one in the above post:

Erdeniz Umman
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500SE

Re: aux hook up on GW 1999

Post by Erdeniz Umman » Sun Dec 03, 2017 11:22 am

If I remember correctly the connections should be like below on your bike.

Also, normally ground is ground on simple circuits, but on sound systems it may be important to get an undistorted sound.

You may want to read the subject called "ground loop effect" on this.
Attachments

Gdgiò
Motorcycle: Yamaha dragstar Classic (sold)
HD883
Goldwing SE 1999

Post by Gdgiò » Mon Dec 04, 2017 3:31 pm

Erdeniz Umman wrote:
Sun Dec 03, 2017 11:22 am
If I remember correctly the connections should be like below on your bike.

Also, normally ground is ground on simple circuits, but on sound systems it may be important to get an undistorted sound.

You may want to read the subject called "ground loop effect" on this.
Thanks for feedback!
I may believe that of course, but to double check that i am not doing wrong, shall i consider that Channels + and - have to be soldered to the positive lead of the capacitors 139 and 140?
This will ensure to me that i am on the righ spots.....i noticed that channel left and right are reversed comparing the original topic.is that correct?
thanks

Erdeniz Umman
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500SE

Post by Erdeniz Umman » Mon Dec 04, 2017 4:32 pm

The aux wire should have 2x2 wires when you cut at the end. Connect the grounds of the L and R channels to each other and solder them to the ground on the picture.

Normally ground wires are the uninsulated ones, you can check them by a multimeter in continuity mode, touching one probe to the wire and the other probe to the third segment on the stereo jack.

For the L and R channels, they are positive ends, just solder them to the points shown above.

Left and right points should be correct, however if you want to be sure, you can check the connection connecting a MP3 player which has L and R balance feature.