aux hook up on GW 1999

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
Gdgiò
Motorcycle: Yamaha dragstar Classic (sold)
HD883
Goldwing SE 1999

aux hook up on GW 1999

Post by Gdgiò » Sun Dec 03, 2017 7:58 am

hello all the audience..

i am going to follow your great tip for adding the direct aux to read external sound sources. as additional improvement , i purchased a Wireless bluthoot converter to add ,so i can get rid of any boring cables (exept charging USB cable ) :?

to do this , i follow the topic at this link viewtopic.php?f=14&t=5316&hilit=add+aux
but still some doubts :
i opened the radio case and he PCB is different from the one mentioned in the post so 2 questions:
- also in my PCB lay out , do i have to solder the wires to C139 and C 140?
-Ground should be easy to identify... any gorunds is ground ! :D
-if yes, shall i solder them to positive pins of the capacitors?
- in this case, C139 is left chanel and 140 is right chanel?
I assume that soldering the wires to + C139 and +C140 should be ok...pls confirm

thanks a lot
gdgiò

i attach my 1999 GW radio PCB where you can see the difference from the one in the above post:

Erdeniz Umman
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500SE

Re: aux hook up on GW 1999

Post by Erdeniz Umman » Sun Dec 03, 2017 11:22 am

If I remember correctly the connections should be like below on your bike.

Also, normally ground is ground on simple circuits, but on sound systems it may be important to get an undistorted sound.

You may want to read the subject called "ground loop effect" on this.
Attachments

Gdgiò
HD883
Goldwing SE 1999

Post by Gdgiò » Mon Dec 04, 2017 3:31 pm

Erdeniz Umman wrote:
Sun Dec 03, 2017 11:22 am
If I remember correctly the connections should be like below on your bike.

Also, normally ground is ground on simple circuits, but on sound systems it may be important to get an undistorted sound.

You may want to read the subject called "ground loop effect" on this.
Thanks for feedback!
I may believe that of course, but to double check that i am not doing wrong, shall i consider that Channels + and - have to be soldered to the positive lead of the capacitors 139 and 140?
This will ensure to me that i am on the righ spots.....i noticed that channel left and right are reversed comparing the original topic.is that correct?
thanks

Erdeniz Umman

Post by Erdeniz Umman » Mon Dec 04, 2017 4:32 pm

The aux wire should have 2x2 wires when you cut at the end. Connect the grounds of the L and R channels to each other and solder them to the ground on the picture.

Normally ground wires are the uninsulated ones, you can check them by a multimeter in continuity mode, touching one probe to the wire and the other probe to the third segment on the stereo jack.

For the L and R channels, they are positive ends, just solder them to the points shown above.

Left and right points should be correct, however if you want to be sure, you can check the connection connecting a MP3 player which has L and R balance feature.

Gdgiò
HD883
Goldwing SE 1999

Post by Gdgiò » Fri Dec 15, 2017 3:14 pm

hello

i finally did the job according the istructions,unfortunatelly there is no sound coming from the loudspeakers when i connect a music source to the 3.5 mm jack.
Further the cable soldering, i then prepared a music tape (tape removed) to be used in the tape player slot , pressed the tape/radio switch but still nothing.
what i noticed, is the tape warning on the dash display blinking continuesly as per the pic..... strange is also the simultaneus 2 arrows as shown

I know answering this issue is difficult, but do you have any suggestions to bring up? thanks

Erdeniz Umman

Post by Erdeniz Umman » Fri Dec 15, 2017 3:25 pm

Yes, that two way arrow shows a stuck tape.
Remove the cassette, check you can spin the gears freely, then rotate and try the other side of it. You should have one way arrow to get the sound.

Gdgiò
HD883
Goldwing SE 1999

Post by Gdgiò » Fri Dec 15, 2017 3:53 pm

Erdeniz Umman wrote:
Fri Dec 15, 2017 3:25 pm
Remove the cassette, check you can spin the gears freely, then rotate and try the other side of it. You should have one way arrow to get the sound.
from the fake tape, i removed the tape and the wheels... so if something is stuck, it is the tape player's mechanism?! :shock:

Erdeniz Umman

Post by Erdeniz Umman » Fri Dec 15, 2017 4:42 pm

Gdgiò wrote:
Fri Dec 15, 2017 3:53 pm
Erdeniz Umman wrote:
Fri Dec 15, 2017 3:25 pm
from the fake tape, i removed the tape and the wheels... so if something is stuck, it is the tape player's mechanism?! :shock:
Could be but first try removing the tape and then reinsert it. It should reset the double arrow situation.

If this does not fix the problem, there is an interesting thing that I had experienced after this modification. The black gear in the picture below was not in place and lost its contact with the white gear. It was probably because it was forced down when I had turned the unit upside down. After placing it in its place the unit had started working.
Attachments

Erdeniz Umman

Post by Erdeniz Umman » Fri Dec 15, 2017 4:54 pm

One more thing, if you did not make the tape modification correctly this can cause this problem as well.
If I am not mistaken, both wheels should turn at the same speed by means of a tape loop inside.

I can not be hundred percent sure because I have used a dummy tape which has a gear connection inside.

Bluewaterhooker0
Motorcycle: 1997 Goldwing GL 1500 SE

Post by Bluewaterhooker0 » Fri Dec 15, 2017 10:02 pm

I haven't made this modification, but have read a lot about it. If I recall, both wheels inside the tape cassette have to be connected in such a way that if one moves, the other moves. The same as if it still had tape inside. That is how the cassette player verifies that there is no malfunction of the cassette. I use a 3.5mm corded cassette to get music through my system. Those cassettes come with gears internally that provide the proper spindle movement as not to have a fault show up in the player. You may want to just buy one of those adapters, remove the cord, and you have a useful dummy cassette. They're cheap, like $10 at Walmart. Also, be sure you have your source unit, MP3, Ipod, whatever, turned all the way up on volume. Most of them need to operate that way.
Attachments

Gdgiò
HD883
Goldwing SE 1999

Post by Gdgiò » Sun Dec 17, 2017 8:08 am

Bluewaterhooker0 wrote:
Fri Dec 15, 2017 10:02 pm
I haven't made this modification, but have read a lot about it. If I recall, both wheels inside the tape cassette have to be connected in such a way that if one moves, the other moves. The same as if it still had tape inside. That is how the cassette player verifies that there is no malfunction of the cassette. I use a 3.5mm corded cassette to get music through my system. Those cassettes come with gears internally that provide the proper spindle movement as not to have a fault show up in the player. You may want to just buy one of those adapters, remove the cord, and you have a useful dummy cassette. They're cheap, like $10 at Walmart. Also, be sure you have your source unit, MP3, Ipod, whatever, turned all the way up on volume. Most of them need to operate that way.
Thanks all for the imputs!
the dammy 10 dollar cassette you refer to, is waht i was using previously. then i started having sound intensity (volume) problems and came to conclusion that ,perhaps, the system was not relaible enough when using for long listening....that's why i wanted to go for external aux hook up.
so i still have that cassette, and i tried to test the system by inserting it in to cassette slot and....:
-radio displays correctly one arrow direction
- but even if i connect a music source to the dummy cassette 3.5mm jack, no sound yet !
- further, i could not hear spinning sound of the tape so probably , Erdeniz tips is the closest to the issue.... tape mechanism is not spinning and so no sound is coming.

ps
I do not understand why the mechanins shall spin in order to get sound.... additional hook up , is soldered to the electronic so the music go through the preamplifier/amplifier directly and then to loudspeaker.This should not be influenced by tape head and/or spinning of the mechanism.

So... i will open the black box again to understad IF the wheels are spinning and if not... will bring to a repair shop to get help.

ppss
as last
radio box has 3 connectors (1 is note used, 1 small with 6 pins and 1 bigger with 18 pins) i checked and this 18 pins connector brings power and lowdseakers connections.
is there a drawing to identify which pin does what? supply, lowdspeaker etc....
thanks

bellboy40
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500SE Candy Spectra Red
1994 GL1500SE Bermuda Green

Post by bellboy40 » Sun Dec 17, 2017 8:35 am

Gdgiò wrote:
Sun Dec 17, 2017 8:08 am
snip....
radio box has 3 connectors (1 is note used, 1 small with 6 pins and 1 bigger with 18 pins) i checked and this 18 pins connector brings power and lowdseakers connections.
is there a drawing to identify which pin does what? supply, lowdspeaker etc....
thanks
Here is a diagram of the wiring for the radio. Hope this will help you with the problem.

radio wiring page 1
radio wiring page 1

radio wiring page 2
radio wiring page 2

lamasue
Motorcycle: 2000 1500se

Post by lamasue » Sun Dec 17, 2017 8:42 am

When i did these modifacations to hook up my xm reciever i desolderd the plus capaciter sides theput the wire in thehole and added solder not just tact it on bottom of solder i did the ground to a metal source off the radio also

Fiberthree
Motorcycle: Black 1999 GL1500SE

Post by Fiberthree » Sun Dec 17, 2017 2:41 pm

Bluewaterhooker0 wrote:
Fri Dec 15, 2017 10:02 pm
... They're cheap, like $10 at Walmart...
Not quite sure Wal*Mart has made it to Milan, Italy just yet. But I think he got the idea.
(no disrespect intended, Bluewaterhooker0. Although I wouldn't be surprised if they were.)
Ed

WARNING: All posts are subject to influence from an uncontrollable dominant sarcastic gene. Offensive remarks may or may not be intentional.

Gdgiò
HD883
Goldwing SE 1999

Post by Gdgiò » Wed Dec 27, 2017 3:58 pm

hello
sorry i have to come back on this...
i have opened the front cover to check IF the tape is actually spinning and found ,it is not.
i have made a video but i noticed ,video can not be embedded to message.. however i try to explain the behaviour ;

inserting the cassette, it goes automatially to right place, magneting head approaches the tape while it spins half a round.Immediatelly the magnetic head turns 180 degrees while coming back on its waiting position (not touching the tape ). then no other happenings
i understand it sounds challenging to give any suggestions so now i need to find a "old fashion "shop to find the issue!

to do this i need to connect at least the basic wiring to allow the technician to work around so :
thanks for the schems but am i correct saing that pin 9 & 17 are 12 vcc plus and minus?
connecting the supply voltage and 2 speakers , would be enough to work at the lab's banch or do i need more connections?

....**** !! hoped to have aux working so easly.... and now i am stuck!!

Erdeniz Umman

Post by Erdeniz Umman » Thu Dec 28, 2017 12:41 am

Could you try a normal cassette which has tape in it?

Does it work normally, and can you hear the music playing?

Gdgiò
HD883
Goldwing SE 1999

Post by Gdgiò » Thu Dec 28, 2017 7:10 am

Erdeniz Umman wrote:
Thu Dec 28, 2017 12:41 am
Could you try a normal cassette which has tape in it?

Does it work normally, and can you hear the music playing?
Hello erdeniz
Tried already... the behaviour abive esplained is when using a normal tape cassette. No spinning.. no head in touch with tape, so no sound!

Erdeniz Umman

Post by Erdeniz Umman » Thu Dec 28, 2017 11:14 am

To add a video you need to load it on YouTube and then add a link here.

Did you check the black and white gear in my previous post. These gears should be in contact with each other, and spin together.

Gdgiò
HD883
Goldwing SE 1999

Post by Gdgiò » Fri Dec 29, 2017 4:22 pm

Erdeniz Umman wrote:
Thu Dec 28, 2017 11:14 am

Did you check the black and white gear in my previous post. These gears should be in contact with each other, and spin together.
yes i did,
they are in right place and working... those gears are for the ejecting mechanism only.
i have loaded the video ...for your eyes.....strange behaviour anyhow!! :?:

Erdeniz Umman

Post by Erdeniz Umman » Sat Dec 30, 2017 4:52 am

Was it working before the modification?
Do the fast forwarding or rewinding functions work?

Actually there is another type of modification to add an aux input, but this time on the radio circuit of the board. If the tape mechanism is the source of the problem, it could be a solution for you.

You could check this link. (Note that this link was not working for nearly 6 months).
http://www.sheriart.net/honda/

Bluewaterhooker0
Motorcycle: 1997 Goldwing GL 1500 SE

Post by Bluewaterhooker0 » Sat Dec 30, 2017 9:03 pm

Gdgiò wrote:
Fri Dec 29, 2017 4:22 pm
Erdeniz Umman wrote:

yes i did,
they are in right place and working... those gears are for the ejecting mechanism only.

Are you sure that power is being applied to the tape deck, via the ignition switch or on/off volume switch ? Your video looks an awful lot like the tape deck stand-by mode. Mine spends a fair amount of time in that state, as every time I stop and turn the bike off, it goes into that mode. The tape is still inserted, but the head retracts, and there is no motion on the wheels, until power is once again restored by turning on the ignition, or turning on the volume control (if turned off).
Just a thought

Gdgiò
HD883
Goldwing SE 1999

Post by Gdgiò » Sun Dec 31, 2017 5:14 am

Bluewaterhooker0 wrote:
Sat Dec 30, 2017 9:03 pm
Gdgiò wrote:
Fri Dec 29, 2017 4:22 pm
Erdeniz Umman wrote:

yes i did,

Are you sure that power is being applied to the tape deck, via the ignition switch or on/off volume switch ? Your video looks an awful lot like the tape deck stand-by mode. Mine spends a fair amount of time in that state, as every time I stop and turn the bike off, it goes into that mode. The tape is still inserted, but the head retracts, and there is no motion on the wheels, until power is once again restored by turning on the ignition, or turning on the volume control (if turned off).
Just a thought
The theory of the stand by is interesting. Hi
To answer Erdeniz , the external aux through cassette/cable was in the beginning working but at certain point, i had some issues and now i can not be sure if it is actually working.
As a fact , if i insert a whatever cassette, the behaviouris the shown in video.
Of course i will double check the above theory even if to listen the radio , the prerequisite are ignition on and volume switch on too. I ll check the power at the pins .... can you confirm pins 9 and 17 are the ones as per electric scheme?

I take a chance to wish you all a satisfactory 2018

Erdeniz Umman

Post by Erdeniz Umman » Sun Dec 31, 2017 6:14 am

You could download the color wiring diagrams in the following link, if you haven't done so far.

http://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/2-g ... agram.html

One more prerequisite is to select the cassette function. When the connector is disconnected and reconnected the unit automatically selects radio, and sometimes people get confused and forget to select the cassette.