best tire that has long life and best ride

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
Motorcycle: 97 GL1500 SE

Re: best tire that has long life and best ride

Post by brian.peters » Sun Jan 07, 2018 10:10 am

I'm following as I need new tires. The "new to me" bike has E3s with a lot of tread but they howl, vibrate the front end at 80, are 5 years old by the date stamps and the shell is cracking at the wheel. I'm sure I could ride the rest of the tread off but they need to go. After reading all of this it seems the only real choice is the dunlops unless I use a car tire on the rear. I assume the benefit to that is the extra load capacity anything else? Seems like the handling would be way wonky with such a "flat" tire on the back, but I see folks love them and some just ran them once and not again. If you put 10-15K on a tire it can't be "way wonky" maybe just a bit wonky :)

So the bike is getting E4s now but in the future there maybe more 2 up riding and possibly a camping trailer so the car tire is interesting.

Motorcycle: 2002 GL1800 - Pearl Orange
1996 GL1500 Aspencade - Pearl Blue
1992 GL1500 Aspencade -Candy Red
1983 Suzuki GS850GL - Blue & Black

Re: best tire that has long life and best ride

Post by Wingsconsin » Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:16 am

AZgl1800 wrote:
Fri Jan 05, 2018 8:09 pm
The Michelin disclaimer is usually found in the nearest trash can, as that is all the value it has for knowledgeable motorcycle riders.

I know for a fact, that the Michelin Alpin PA3 run flat 195/55 16 is one superior tire on the GL1800.

I have one on the ground, and one on the shelf ready to ride when it is needed.
I know this disclaimer is going to be (has been) ignored.
There are many who have ignored these types of manufacturers 'warnings' and used things like car tires...(gasp)
BUT - do not complain to the tire manufacturer if things go badly --
we all choose to use what we want on our motorcycles (which is inherently a risky proposition to begin with)
I have used a Car tire ; and ridden while texting ; and exceeded both the load limits and speed limits.

IF Michelin mad a Goldwing specific tire for the GL1800 it would be on my bike today -

But I have chosen to use the recommended motorcycle tire fr my ride and just change tires more often -
I made that easy by purchasing an extra set of rims and I always have new rubber ready to go on .
My average per year is around 11,000 miles so a new set every year is typical for me.

Postings are my opinions based on experience and acquired knowledge.
Your results may vary. Universal disclaimers apply.

Motorcycle Adventure Storys writen by me