Specialty tool for Swingarm nut

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
davemik
Motorcycle: 2005 Yamaha Majesty
1999 Honda Goldwing SE
2000 Yamaha V-Star

Specialty tool for Swingarm nut

Post by davemik » Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:44 pm

So, I'm in the process of reassembling my ride and I have need of a socket to torque the castle nut on the left side of the swingarm. Went online and the best I could do was $56 with shipping and a week to get it. Then, I got to thinking I could make one out of a piece of pipe and weld on a handle. No way to torque it and no pipe that's exactly the right diameter. Then I thought, sockets come in graduated O.D.'s and they are hardened steel. IO found a 28MM socket was exactly the right size. I held the nut against the socket and marked the lands and grooves with a Sharpie. I used a cutoff wheel in the 4" grinder to slot the grooves, and a thick grinding wheel to cut out the slots and adjust the sizes. Just go slow. Grind a little, check the fit, grind a little, etc.

28 MM socket: eight bucks
Time to make it: 30 minutes
Having a Swingarm socket tonight: Priceless! :D
Attachments

Davemik
2005 Yamaha Majesty Maxi-scooter
2000 Yamaha V-Star Classic 650
1999 Honda Goldwing SE

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: Specialty tool for Swingarm nut

Post by WingAdmin » Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:16 pm

I did the same thing (useful also for the triple tree castle nut) to build mine from a socket.

However there is a cheaper alternative: This is actually meant for BMX bikes, but it fits ours great, and it's only $14:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000A ... UTF8&psc=1

davemik
Motorcycle: 2005 Yamaha Majesty
1999 Honda Goldwing SE
2000 Yamaha V-Star

Post by davemik » Sat Dec 09, 2017 3:24 pm

Thanks, WingAdmin! I'll keep it in mind 'cause the next time I need it I'm sure it will be lost!
Davemik
2005 Yamaha Majesty Maxi-scooter
2000 Yamaha V-Star Classic 650
1999 Honda Goldwing SE

Erdeniz Umman
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500SE

Post by Erdeniz Umman » Sat Dec 09, 2017 3:58 pm

I think it was made from a 36mm socket for the steering head bearing.

Fatwing Chris
Motorcycle: 2004 ABS Model Goldwing

Post by Fatwing Chris » Wed Dec 13, 2017 2:22 pm

Mark the swing arm bolt to make sure it doesn't move when you torque the lock nut.It'll change your preload(make it higher) if it moves.The factory tool holds the bolt while you torque the lock nut.The preload is more important than the lock nut torque.You had the right idea with your original design.A piece of flat bar and a piece of pipe.Use a holesaw to put a hole in the bar the same as the inside dia. of the pipe or a bit smaller.Make a square 1/2" hole in the other end.I scribed out a 1/2 square,drilled a small hole in each corner,drilled a 1/2" hole and then used a small square file to clean out the bits in the corners.Doesn't have to be pretty you just need your 1/2" torque wrench to fit in it.Cut the notches in your pipe and then weld pipe to bar over the big hole.Now you can set your preload with your allen socket,your tool will fit over it and then you can torque the lock nut while holding the bolt where you set it.I used a 2"x 4" x 1/4" piece of flat bar and made my holes 2" center to center.I've never had the factory tool in my hand to measure the center to center but pretty sure 2" in pretty close.That torque spec is not really that critical.I'd post a pic but photobucket is acting stupid.Pretty sure I posted one here before.

If I'da known it would last this long,I'da taken better care of it.
Chris
Double Dark
Darkside # 1602