Progressive 412 shocks

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
Uncle Fester
Motorcycle: 1996 GL-1500 Cali model 'Wing, blue in color, named Ol'Blue

Progressive 412 shocks

Post by Uncle Fester » Mon Dec 18, 2017 9:51 pm

Has anyone used the Progressive 412 shocks on their GL-1500, and if so, what where the results ? I am a bigger guy, 6’3” and 275lbs, and I usually ride two up with my wife.
I am considering these as my air compressor and or the controller have died and I do not have the space or time to go searching for the needed repair, plus my shocks are bad anyway, so the 412s SHOULD take care of both issues.
Thanks in advance,
Fester

Music is probably the only real magic I have encountered in my life. There's not some trick involved with it. It's pure and it's real. It moves, it heals, it communicates and does all these incredible things.

Tom Petty

Big Blue UK
Motorcycle: GL1800 Monarch

Re: Progressive 412 shocks

Post by Big Blue UK » Tue Dec 19, 2017 9:49 am

I had progressive fork springs and 412's on the rear of a 1500 solo, and have progressive fork springs and 412's on the rear of my 1800 Monarch trike, I weigh around 12st, only rode/ride two up a few times a year with a live pillion.
Don't think this counts.

The 412's made a huge difference in handling on the solo, never bottomed, much firmer, but not too firm. Was a tad concerned about missing the air adjustment of the 416, and was a ball ache trying every setting, instead of pushing a button. But I loved the handling. As for the trike, well it bounces everywhere, but that is just the tosh road conditions, on nice tarmac, it is great. As you say "412s SHOULD take care of both issues". I cannot see how you would be disappointed in them. Set up correctly for carrying pillion, may give you a more sporty feel but not too firm when solo.
If at first you don't succeed, hide the evidence.

baba67
Motorcycle: 1986 GL1200 Aspencade
1997 GL1500 SE W/ Voyager trike kit

Post by baba67 » Tue Dec 19, 2017 12:47 pm

new set on ebay now...

detdrbuzzard
Motorcycle: '84 aspencade,'93se
'75750.'79750/9k
'79 750f.'85450sc
'06 st1300a

Post by detdrbuzzard » Fri Dec 22, 2017 8:00 am

I would fix the compressor issue and go with the 416's. I put 412's on my 1200 wing, they were either too firm or not firm enough
'99 ST1100, '93 se
'75 cb750k, '79 cb 750f, '79 cb750 superK
cb 450sc, sunL70
'06 st1300a
.... william

baba67
Motorcycle: 1986 GL1200 Aspencade
1997 GL1500 SE W/ Voyager trike kit

Post by baba67 » Fri Dec 22, 2017 9:42 am

Here is a Brand New set on ebay that is perfect for you.
Especially with you compressor no longer working.
Check it out.
Good luck with whatever you choose.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/PROGRESSIVE-AI ... 2401682840

wingdings
Motorcycle: Honda Goldwing gl 1989

Post by wingdings » Tue Dec 26, 2017 3:46 am

Hi - Fester - Don't scrap the compressor yet !! fella - do what I did and strip the bitch down - its very easy to do too ! - see the link here !! - viewtopic.php?f=14&t=37197 - I did mine about 6months ago !! fester - found out it was a old foam filter that had disintegrated inside and had blocked up the inner workings - I believe that if you are running the standard wing set up eg - one air shock and one spring one that these were prone to packing up about the twenty thousand mile mark - most people changed them for the progressive 416 - however these have had there problems too - win admin had trouble with the air valve tube poping out I have had to replace the torn - rubber gator's on mine and drain and replace the suspension oil that was totally naffed up instead of it being red - it was jet black and smelly as hell - if you look on you tube you can find a link on how to strip and repair your rear shocks on the 1500 .. hope this helps fella - p.s - it may also be the air jet solinod compressor valve too you will need to test all three viewtopic.php?f=14&t=37197

Uncle Fester
Motorcycle: 1996 GL-1500 Cali model 'Wing, blue in color, named Ol'Blue

Post by Uncle Fester » Wed Dec 27, 2017 10:38 am

wingdings wrote:
Tue Dec 26, 2017 3:46 am
Hi - Fester - Don't scrap the compressor yet !! fella - do what I did and strip the bitch down - its very easy to do too ! - see the link here !! - viewtopic.php?f=14&t=37197 - I did mine about 6months ago !! fester - found out it was a old foam filter that had disintegrated inside and had blocked up the inner workings - I believe that if you are running the standard wing set up eg - one air shock and one spring one that these were prone to packing up about the twenty thousand mile mark - most people changed them for the progressive 416 - however these have had there problems too - win admin had trouble with the air valve tube poping out I have had to replace the torn - rubber gator's on mine and drain and replace the suspension oil that was totally naffed up instead of it being red - it was jet black and smelly as hell - if you look on you tube you can find a link on how to strip and repair your rear shocks on the 1500 .. hope this helps fella - p.s - it may also be the air jet solinod compressor valve too you will need to test all three viewtopic.php?f=14&t=37197
I will look into those items too then, as in my house, and I bet yours too. . .. money doesNOT grow on trees here ! Lol
Music is probably the only real magic I have encountered in my life. There's not some trick involved with it. It's pure and it's real. It moves, it heals, it communicates and does all these incredible things.

Tom Petty

wingdings
Motorcycle: Honda Goldwing gl 1989

Post by wingdings » Mon Jan 01, 2018 3:30 pm

Too - true - tom - I might own a wing - but - I don't want to pay a arm and leg to keep it running - From what you have said - I bet its the air compressor that's clogged up - The back end on most wings never ever get touched - mainly because it involves taking both side boxes off and the top box off as well to get at the shocks and the air compressor - When I stripped down my progressive 416 shocks - the oil was black and as smelly as hell - it was red originally !! ?? . see - this youtube vid - This is for a 1983 Honda Goldwing - however - the principle is just the same -

-and -

Another thing you could try is the relay - that works the compressor and the air jet solenoid - I think its the number 8 relay if my memory severs me right !! - lastly it may be the switch its self - I had to change mine as it was buggered up by the last owner .. if you are going to take off the tupperware off the bike it may be worth you having a look at the braking system too - rubber lines - brake pads - etc - mine were rotting on the back end I ended up replacing them with stainless steel brake lines front and rear and new pads also.

I have nearly finished repairing the hacked wiring loom - why people tap into the main wiring loom to fit accessory's I do not know - I bought a heap of stuff of a guy who had bought a wing for £7000 pounds - parked it in a garage for the last 7 years tried to start it - only to find out that the main 3 green grounds on the main loom had burnt out !! - the bike had a heap of lighting gear accessory's all wired into the main harness - I am now going to fit a Denali Powerhub 2 Motorcycle Fuse Block with Wiring Harness to run all accessory's on my bike thus not hacking into the main harness - I post this on here when I have finished .

Hope - you get it sorted tom - best regards - john .. :D :D :D :D :D