hack the CB with a cheap Bluetooth

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
brian.peters
Motorcycle: 97 GL1500 SE

hack the CB with a cheap Bluetooth

Post by brian.peters » Wed Dec 20, 2017 7:31 pm

So over on the product reviews was this viewtopic.php?f=18&t=40450 It's about an inexpensive Sena10. Ok maybe that is gracious or derogatory but its a BT interface for the helmet for 35 bucks,. My attempt is to use it as an adapter to interface with the CB.

The idea is I hook it up to the wings wiring. A speaker will go to the mic input and the mic of the BT will hook up to one of the wings speaker outs. I pair it with my helmet and when I want to use the CB I start an intercom session with the adapter and I should be able to use the CB. And hear the radio in mono etc.. Not as graceful as the wired connection or the free wire but 35 bucks and another 12 from digi key and it might just work. I'll post some pics as I go. Hope to have it working by new years.

brian.peters

Re: hack the CB with a cheap Bluetooth

Post by brian.peters » Fri Dec 22, 2017 4:22 pm

First steps
I realized I needed to use the factory mic and speakers as input output not the "aux" jack. To do that I needed to build an attenuator. Decided to go with a simple voltage divider using a 100K and 1K resistor. While I wait for the resistors to get here I opened up the headset and figured out the wiring. Here it is in stages. But got the wires identified and with a diagram of the wings DIN it will be an easy hook up for testing.

Complete unit

The "special" plug

under the strain relief. this was some really good fiberglass tape. Dulled a fresh blade cutting through it.

wires

Here is how it wired out. No idea about what pin is what but

Left speaker - Green, Red/Gold
Mic - Gold, Red
Right Speaker - Blue, Red/Blue
Your wires may vary :)

ka4yqi
Motorcycle: 1998 Goldwing SE

Post by ka4yqi » Fri Dec 22, 2017 9:01 pm

I am watching to see what you come up with. I know it was done with a sena smh10, but they not cheap. So I am watching..

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Post by WingAdmin » Sun Dec 24, 2017 3:36 pm

Keep in mind that the microphone on that headset is going to be an electret. It will need voltage bias to function, and the signal it puts out will be extremely small compared to the dynamic mic that the Wing intercom system uses. It does not use a bias, and puts out a much larger signal.

If you're planning to hook the electret headset to the Goldwing intercom mic circuit, you're going to need a voltage supply for the bias, a blocking capacitor to keep the bias from being injected into the mic circuit, and an amplifier to amplify the tiny electret output to the level that the intercom expects.

brian.peters

Post by brian.peters » Sun Dec 24, 2017 10:28 pm

Not using the mic itself just they input. The outout of the Bluetooth will be at the signal level of speakers so a voltage divider to drop it to a mic leave is the pan. Same deal I the reverse. Not using a mic but taking the output from the wing, that will be at speaker level and dropping it down to feed the Bluetooth will input.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Post by WingAdmin » Mon Dec 25, 2017 12:41 am

brian.peters wrote:
Sun Dec 24, 2017 10:28 pm
Not using the mic itself just they input. The outout of the Bluetooth will be at the signal level of speakers so a voltage divider to drop it to a mic leave is the pan. Same deal I the reverse. Not using a mic but taking the output from the wing, that will be at speaker level and dropping it down to feed the Bluetooth will input.
Got it. I did exactly this when I wired a Bluetooth module into my GL1100. I ended up also having to use transformers to isolate the audio signals, as with the tiny levels involved, it took only the slightest bit of differential to introduce significant ground loop noise.

brian.peters

Post by brian.peters » Mon Dec 25, 2017 9:12 am

Thanks for the advise. This is very new to me.

brian.peters

Post by brian.peters » Mon Dec 25, 2017 5:42 pm

WingAdmin wrote:
Mon Dec 25, 2017 12:41 am

Got it. I did exactly this when I wired a Bluetooth module into my GL1100. I ended up also having to use transformers to isolate the audio signals, as with the tiny levels involved, it took only the slightest bit of differential to introduce significant ground loop noise.

Ok so I'm experiencing severe ground loop noise as predicted. Not sure what else is going on as I've not been able to get an output I can hear from the BT. Input is fine.

I start an intercom session and get the audio in my helmet. I can transmit from my jeep and hear it well in the helmet with the CB volume 1/2 way up. If I hook up the mic leads I get the noise whenever the BT outputs to the bike which is constant in an intercom session.

CB was also acting funny. At first the when I hit PTT it would TX for a second and go back to RX. I thought I might need a real mic so I disconnected the BT and hooked up a handheld mic. PTT started working normal but continues to work normally now that I've removed the hand mic. I guess it was just cruddy switches?

The last test was everything hooked up to the BT and the PTT held down. I could not hear myself on the CB in the jeep but sitting here now I'm not sure I was receiving anything but static in the jeep. Need to retest that.

One more odd thing is that with the audio sent to the headsets if you turn it up you can hear it from the speakers, it's faint but there. If I squelch the CB it, and the ground loop noise, goes away but any output bleeds into the onboard speakers.

brian.peters

Post by brian.peters » Wed Dec 27, 2017 6:54 pm

Thread is going dark for a bit. Off on a Holiday vacation for a few days then back to the daily grind :(

Waiting for parts anyway figured I'd do a few things at once. I pulled the left glove box and found an add on. Looks like it was for GPS, and radar maybe, into the headsets. Was a powered device in line with the factory DIN that had two RJ connectors and cables that ran up to the ram mounts on the handlebars. Pulled it all out but left the power port in there. Need to make sure it's fused but I needed one so that was a nice find.

Ordered the cable to do the SWR on the CB. Going to add passenger arm rest when I open it up to check the cable back there. Probably gunna be a couple of weeks with my schedule.

brian.peters

Post by brian.peters » Sat Jan 06, 2018 12:34 pm

Have all he parts to finish it up now. Taking a safety class today but hope too wire it up tomorrow. I Need to look at the PTT switch on the handlebar as I'm only getting intermittent TX. I know it can be other things but the indications point to the switch and although not easy by the looks of it, that is my first place to attack. As long as I can get the "interference" to go away i know the rig is working and the rest is just fixing the TX issue.

SWR is decent on Channel 1 but bad on 20, didn't check it on 40, so I need to get that dealt with but having an unreliable PTT makes that hard.