The Building of NightWing

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
hcrr1
Motorcycle: 1988 goldwingbu

The Building of NightWing

Postby hcrr1 » Fri Oct 22, 2010 12:10 am

It all started with a fellow atv'er from Glascow Ky,that i had met 5 or so years ago.And became pretty good freinds with him and his wife(great people).Amungst the dozens of bikes,planes,atv's he had 3 goldwings,his wifes 88 trike,his 2001,and a lonely 88gl that tangled with a deer.After a year i finally talked (lets call him Speedy) Speedy to sell me the the deer hunting goldwing.
Speedy had bought some used forks and radiators said it didn't need a whole lot more.So on a trip north to cincinnati he delivered the bike, and a truck load of boxes, totes,cans,a couple extra saddle boxes.So i had my goldwing i always wanted.never realized there were so many parts to cover the mass of wires and vacuum lines up.......The wing was half taken apart and it was a task just figureing out what i had and didn' thave.which amazingly was not as much as i expected.
The first thing i did was order two Elite III the tires on the bike had absolutely know tread left and the rear hadcords showing.found a used upper fairing.lower side and carb covers,left front lower fairing,upper vents,headlamp,left turn signal,ebay is a wonderful thing.......
A few tubes of 3m superfast plastic repairand easy sand bumper repair fixed the other peices that could be fixed.
Now the original gold and brown had to go,so i had a month or so to decide what to do with the paint scheme,not ever being a big fan of chrome the theme i was going with was right out of the Mad Max movies.the upper part of the wing will be Lincoln tuxedo black metallic with a few toner changes,thewheels, heat sheilds,lower front faring,mouling in saddle boxes and rear fender,luggage rack,air deflector hardware,footboards,are painted steel grey metallic.The emblems on side covers,fender and windshield moulding were removed and holes filled.After many hours of repair priming sanding,Time to paint more parts that i could count,the black parts alone filled my two paint booths,I decided to tint all the lamps and reflectors a couple shades with clear tinted basecoat,then cleared.The seat,back rest,seat handles, handle bar covers,left side pocket cover,got died steel grey also but no shine.The honda emblem on the front windsheild moulding is grey as are NightWing emblems on side covers that are painted on and cleared over.
After all was painted it was ready to put together,a weekend of long hours and amassive head ache from trying to put all these parts together,the faring was the worst part,because ole Speedy took everything out of it,and not ever really looking at a goldwing much that was a accomplishment in itself.but afer many hours some hard work,research, it hit the streets gets a lot of looks,a few scrathing of the heads not knowing what it is.have a few things to add yet,
Late Sunday of the put together i drove it home,all together except the windshield,that Speedy was sending to me that week,i road the NightWing for almost a month without driving a car or truck,first road trip was to Harlan Ky,to meet Speedy and Mrs. Speedy on their wing to go ride our atv's,700 mile trip.I have put about 1450 miles on it,this week i laid it up new fork seals brakes,carb rebuild to get rid of the low end hesitation.Hpoefully be back together running good this week for the trip to Deals Gap the 5-7 of nov.
got it home
got it home
Attachments
paintig
paintig
painted
painted
two days of put together
two days of put together
together
together
together
together
NightWing reborn
NightWing reborn
Speedy and the Wings in Evarts Ky.
Speedy and the Wings in Evarts Ky.

thrasherg
Motorcycle: 2004 GL1800, 2005 Honda Shadow 750, 2008 Yamaha R6 with RG500 engine, CRF450X, CRF230, CRF250X, XR200, CR500

Re: The Building of NightWing

Postby thrasherg » Fri Oct 22, 2010 10:50 am

Lovely job, it does look nice in all black.. Hope you have many trouble free miles.. I have always hated people that can do a good job painting things!! You just went to the top of my hate list!! :lol:
Wish I had the patience and skills to do my own painting, qiute an achievement to get it all back together in 2 days, especially as you didn't dismantle it all yourself..

Gary

gogs11uk
Motorcycle: GL1800
CBR600

Postby gogs11uk » Wed Oct 27, 2010 4:06 pm

Well done m8. that is one mean lookin wing in the black. Looks nice

speedy2e
Motorcycle: GL1800 Goldwing
Bmw K1200LT

Postby speedy2e » Thu Oct 28, 2010 4:03 pm

This is Speedy. Great job on the rebuild. hcrr1 is a pro at body work so this job might not even have been feasible for most. I still cannot believe the plastic restoration he did on this job. Deals Gap looms on the horizon!

minimac
Motorcycle: 1993 GL1500 Aspencade
2006 Burgman Executive
2007 Yamaha Majesty
2006 Yamaha Morphous-(2018 cannonball scoot)

Postby minimac » Mon Oct 05, 2015 5:32 pm

I wasn't sure how I'd like an all blacked out 'Wing, but I like It! Now to do my Own Steathwing.

NVSB4
Motorcycle: 1996 GL1500SE
1992 GL1500I (sold)
1986 GL1200A (sold)
2002 HD FXDL Low Rider (sold)
1993 Yamaha Virago XV1000 (sold)
Too many others to list

Postby NVSB4 » Mon Oct 05, 2015 6:19 pm

A big welcome to the forum to both of you.
It's never too late to have a happy childhood!

Red=All bikes Blue=Wings

Chris

spiralout
Motorcycle: 1975 GL1000 (gone)
1980 GL1100I (with '77 1000 engine)
1996 GL1500 SE

Postby spiralout » Mon Oct 05, 2015 7:24 pm

NVSB4 wrote:A big welcome to the forum to both of you.

To who, the two guys that made one post five years ago? minimac bumped this thread from 2010

NVSB4
Motorcycle: 1996 GL1500SE
1992 GL1500I (sold)
1986 GL1200A (sold)
2002 HD FXDL Low Rider (sold)
1993 Yamaha Virago XV1000 (sold)
Too many others to list

Postby NVSB4 » Mon Oct 05, 2015 10:12 pm

spiralout wrote:
NVSB4 wrote:A big welcome to the forum to both of you.

To who, the two guys that made one post five years ago? minimac bumped this thread from 2010

I hate it when that happens. :D
It's never too late to have a happy childhood!

Red=All bikes Blue=Wings

Chris

Uncle Fester
Motorcycle: 1996 GL-1500 Cali model 'Wing, blue in color, named Ol'Blue

Postby Uncle Fester » Mon Oct 05, 2015 11:11 pm

I know this is a old post, but I love the look of this bike ! I wish the O.P. Would have stayed around and posted more pics as he went along on his build.

Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself. Our stress about it happens when the two aren't the same. Be true to yourself and to hell with what everyone else thinks!

Return to “GL1500 Information & Questions”