Speedometer stopped working.

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
bigguy_362001
Motorcycle: 1996 GL 1500 Aspencade

Speedometer stopped working.

Postby bigguy_362001 » Fri Oct 22, 2010 11:54 pm

Hi This is my Second time looking for info. I recently had to have my valve stem replaced. I removed the wheel and took it in I think I did not line up the speed o drive properly and the the drive blade broke on the first ride. But now my question is does this have anything to do with the turn signals canceling. Because they stopped there self canceling at about the same time I noticed the speed o not working.

Joe new wing owner.

and can you just replace the cable drive blade in the speed o drive box?

BikerGuy
Motorcycle: 2008 Goldwing

Re: Speedometer stopped working.

Postby BikerGuy » Sun Oct 24, 2010 9:33 pm

Turn signals cancel after going a certain distance or after banking, turning a corner. Speedo cable needs to be working. Same thing happened to me. After I replaced the cable, it was fine again. They canceled like they're supposed to.

I had to replace the gear in the front wheel too. Plastic gear. You should be able to get a replacement part at the dealer. They'll have to order it for you, most likely!

Good luck! :D

bigguy_362001
Motorcycle: 1996 GL 1500 Aspencade

Postby bigguy_362001 » Sun Oct 24, 2010 10:09 pm

Thanks I did replace the Speed o Drive box found one at a used bike parts place. a bike junk yard. it works and the turn signals cancel. I thought it funny they both went out the same time. that is why I asked. this my first wing or bike with self canceling turn signals I was one of those guy driving around the world turning left on my VTX. I have had this bike now for 2 weeks and love it. but I do need to do sone work on it. so I am trying to what I can on my own. and this is a great site to get info about Goldwings.
Joe

vtxcandyred
Motorcycle: 1993 Honda Goldwing SE

Postby vtxcandyred » Mon Nov 01, 2010 11:14 am

I have a 93 SE. The speedo quit on mine and took the self cancelling signals, the auto volume adjust, and of course the cruise. I can tell you that even at max volume, at about fifty you have a hard time hearing the radio. I had planned on taking it all apart during the winter down time but I had to change course. Luckily I still have the 02 VTX as a back up. Now I'll do all the cables on both bikes.

Return to “GL1500 Information & Questions”