Do you use a dealer for service?

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
brian.peters
Motorcycle: 97 GL1500 SE

Do you use a dealer for service?

Post by brian.peters » Tue Jan 09, 2018 8:26 am

I do all my own work that I'm able to do. That is a lot and when I do need a mechanic it is for the really nasty jobs, or for diagnosis, and I never use a dealer outside of warranty. This is for my cars. Followed the same path for the bike but I need tires and a local dealer installs for free. Well nothing is for free of course. Tires online, Dunlop E4s, are 385 free shipping, buy from the dealer and install for free is 495. Having them just mounted is 60 so I'm saving $50 by doing it myself and it's a PITA.

I should take this route though and take another look at the brakes, and driveline, etc.. but I could also have the dealer do a quick look while in there. I know all places are different but how trusting are you of dealers? I do not trust car dealers at all, they do crappy work, lie, and try to up-sell you at every turn. Not sure about this place right now but time is short and I'd rather be riding than working on it so 50 bucks seems worth it.

RBGERSON
Motorcycle: 98 SE GL 1500
had every year from 75 to 83

Re: Do you use a dealer for service?

Post by RBGERSON » Tue Jan 09, 2018 8:35 am

I don't use dealers on older bikes because they don't work on them very often..If you don't mind traveling a bit D&D Discount motorcycles in Temps does great work, are honest and won't **** you over. when doing tires..rear oil should be change, reapply moly, check rubbers and bearings etc. they do all that. http://dddiscountmotorcycles.com/
HAD LOTS OF GOLDWING 75-83
NOW INTO 1500'S..RIDING A 1998 SE

FAIR WINDS,
RB

SG_Jay
Motorcycle: 1998 GL1500 Aspencade

Post by SG_Jay » Tue Jan 09, 2018 8:36 am

I bought my tire from the dealer and just had them mount it. But I just brought them the wheel. I removed it myself so while I was in there I changed brake pads, looked everything over and cleaned stuff up. I mollied my splines up before putting it back together. It was good I thought to spend time in there doing all the other stuff myself.

joeincalif
Motorcycle: 1997 Gold Wing SE

Post by joeincalif » Tue Jan 09, 2018 8:48 am

Oil & filter, air filter, anti freeze, brake fluids stuff like that I do myself. I have dealer or accessory shop do tires.
IF YOUR BORN ONCE YOU WILL DIE TWICE
IF YOUR BORN TWICE YOU WILL DIE ONCE

bellboy40
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500SE Candy Spectra Red
1994 GL1500SE Bermuda Green

Post by bellboy40 » Tue Jan 09, 2018 9:47 am

I do all my own work on the motorcycle, partly out of necessity because dealers don't like to work on bikes over 10 years old, but mostly because the dealers usually screw something up while doing the work or do a poor job of it. Also I just hate to pay someone to do something that I can do myself. The only way to get something done the way you want it done is to do it yourself. This also gets you familiar with the bike and how things go together so you are better equipped to handle a roadside repair if necessary.

hugger-4641
Motorcycle: 1994 GL1500 Aspencade, 1982 CM 200 Twinstar, 1984 VT500 Ascot

Post by hugger-4641 » Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:01 am

I have had better service from Honda car dealers than I ever got with Toyota, Nissan, Ford, or Dodge. Never bought a new GM. I do all my own work after warranty is out.
Never owned a new motorcycle, but I have taken wheel to dealer for tire mounting.

hugger-4641
Motorcycle: 1994 GL1500 Aspencade, 1982 CM 200 Twinstar, 1984 VT500 Ascot

Post by hugger-4641 » Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:05 am

My experience with most car dealers is that most of their "technicians " don't need to be working on a bicycle , much less my car.

brian.peters

Post by brian.peters » Tue Jan 09, 2018 3:51 pm

RBGERSON wrote:
Tue Jan 09, 2018 8:35 am
I don't use dealers on older bikes because they don't work on them very often..If you don't mind traveling a bit D&D Discount motorcycles in Temps does great work, are honest and won't **** you over. when doing tires..rear oil should be change, reapply moly, check rubbers and bearings etc. they do all that. http://dddiscountmotorcycles.com/
Was told about D&D by a guy at the Rider Class I took on Sunday. A bit far is the problem
Last edited by brian.peters on Tue Jan 09, 2018 4:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Happytrails
Motorcycle: 1991 Goldwing 1500 SE

Post by Happytrails » Tue Jan 09, 2018 3:52 pm

I'm with you all. Don't trust dealers and dont let them work on anything outside of warantee and then I double check that they didn't do something poorly. With the help of advice and all the howto guides have been able to muddle thru anything my bike needs. For tires I've been taking them to a local Harley Davidson dealership. I think they charge me $50 per tire if I bring in my own tire and the wheel. I'd much rather change my own but I'm torn because even though I have a 2 car garage there is no room for a tire changer.

The HD service department has treated me well although the technicians kind of chuckle at my 27yr old bike. But it gives me a chance to look at new bikes and not just Harleys. They have Hondas, Triumphs, Kawasakis and Royal Enfields. They stock just about every single bike from the different manufacturers, its impressive. They had a brand new H2. But they rarely have a new Goldwing though. Makes me wonder if they will get a 2018 model in. When I price check a new HD Ultra Classic Limted out the door price, around $32,000, I am just dumbfounded. :D

1991 GL1500 SE Anniversary Edition
Sun Flare Gold Metallic
Vallant Brown Inset

landisr
Motorcycle: 1976 GL1000
1994 GL1500A

Post by landisr » Tue Jan 09, 2018 6:18 pm

brian.peters:: I second the motion for D & D. They have worked on both my '76 and my '94. Straight shooters in my book. Reasonable labor rate. Google Maps says it's only 25 miles from downtown Peoria. Worth the trip.

Ron in Gilbert
Beam me up, Scotty. There's no intelligent life down here.

AZgl1800
Motorcycle: '02 GL1800

Post by AZgl1800 » Tue Jan 09, 2018 8:46 pm

Back when I lived in Mesa, AZ for a short while, maybe 20 years??

D&D did ALL of my maintenance on my bikes.
They worked on my '84, and my '86SEi and my '94SE....

every time, the work was done perfect.
They understood that my bikes were my daily transportation...

what I really like, is they are Appointment only, and they know how long a job will take.
you go in and out the same day, Job 1 done right.

They have customers come in from Colorado, New Mexico, the NW parts of Texas, and yes, KaliFernia too.... I have talked to some of those "special customers" and they all said the same thing.

I come here because the job is always done "on time, and it is done right".
See you at NASR-11 July 10th, 11th, 12th 2018

https://goo.gl/maps/2zH93W9YW372

515 E Eads Pkwy, Greendale, IN 47025
812-537-4441

http://www.northamericangoldwings.com/c ... 9-nasr-11/

curtm
Motorcycle: 91 GL 1500 SE

Post by curtm » Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:52 pm

Myself. i do all my own work, I have trust issues with dealers and some of the work they do, seems when i did get a dealer to do something that they charge you thru the ass for some runny nose kid to learn on my stuff, all they want to do is change parts and more new parts at you're expense, they always have a reason to chang more than what is needed, Also when you take a bike in for example to change rear tire and ask them if they lubed the drive shaft, there answer is ,Well you didn't tell us to do that, Mostly cause they dont know what to do unless you tell them, Any good shop would ask you if they were changing a tire and they knew they had to remove the rear case, hey would you like us to change the oil and lube the shaft, They don't know enough to even ask you that , the days of mechanics and Shop advisors knowing what they are doing is gone, Most mechanics could care less about you're bike ,car etc, hate to say it and i'am sure someone would argue is most tech's mechanic can't wait till 5;00 to go home, Seems like the sign of the times, guess i'am old school
Curt

Charlie1Horse
Motorcycle: 1986 GL1200A Aspencade
1992 GL1500I Interstate

Post by Charlie1Horse » Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:54 am

If you have a Cycle Gear store near, they will mount and balance a tire for $20.00. At least here in Jacksonville, Florida they will. I have had good success with them for tires. I just take it off and take it to them and can usually wait for it.
Russell

Those who say it cannot be done should try not to interrupt those who are doing it.

brian.peters

Post by brian.peters » Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:31 am

Charlie1Horse wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:54 am
If you have a Cycle Gear store near, they will mount and balance a tire for $20.00. At least here in Jacksonville, Florida they will. I have had good success with them for tires. I just take it off and take it to them and can usually wait for it.
Russell

Those who say it cannot be done should try not to interrupt those who are doing it.
Yep that is what I decided to do. Was leaning that way from the start but was looking for someone to justify my lazieness :)

Gonna do the gear oil at the same time and give it a once over on Saturday. Need to do the timing belts just not sure I'll have time this weekend. Got an outboard motor I need to get back together and I'm off Monday so that may be the job instead of the timing belts.

jwebfournow
Motorcycle: 1984 Aspencade, 1986 sei trike

Post by jwebfournow » Thu Jan 11, 2018 2:45 pm

Do all my own work, as dealers around won't touch anything older than 7 years and there are no independent cycle shops around here that I know of, plus if I can do it myself I save about $85 an hour and can take my time doing it, plus I find it rather enjoyable keeps me mellow (LOL), it helps to have a nice table lift, makes life so much easier. Even have gotten into some engine work like top ends, re rings, tend to try and stay away from that type of work, it can end up being costly for parts.

C-dub
Motorcycle: 2016 Goldwing Audio/Comfort/Nav ABS
Previous bikes:
2005 Hayabusa
1999 Suzuki Bandit 1200S
198? Suzuki GS850G
1983 Suzuki GS1100E
198? Honda XL250R
197? Suzuki GT185
197? Suzuki 90 dirtbike

Post by C-dub » Thu Jan 11, 2018 6:44 pm

So far, yes, I have the dealer do everything. I just bought a brand new 2016 in July, 2017 and purchased the powerhouse service thing.

Plus, I'm not the most mechanically inclined person and I only have basic tools. Those are probably enough for quite a bit and I can follow a manual with procedures pretty well. I may become more competent in doing things myself as I start to add or customize things, but for now I'll get my money's worth out of the dealer. Plus, if I mess something up it costs me. If they mess something up it costs me less to nothing. Hopefully!
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.

brian.peters

Post by brian.peters » Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:35 pm

So the plot thickens. Apparently most shops don't want to mount tires they don't sell. If the do they want $50 per tire.

So new plan. Changing them myself and using Dyna beads. So I went from riding it in to a shop and waiting for it to doing 100% of the work myself. Clearly I'm fickle :)

bellboy40
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500SE Candy Spectra Red
1994 GL1500SE Bermuda Green

Post by bellboy40 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:31 am

brian.peters wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:35 pm
So the plot thickens. Apparently most shops don't want to mount tires they don't sell. If the do they want $50 per tire.

So new plan. Changing them myself and using Dyna beads. So I went from riding it in to a shop and waiting for it to doing 100% of the work myself. Clearly I'm fickle :)
It's clear to me that you realize that charging $50 to change a tire you bring in to them (a 5 or 10 minute job) is excessive and shows that they really don't want to do it. I think you are demonstrating good judgement.

jwebfournow
Motorcycle: 1984 Aspencade, 1986 sei trike

Post by jwebfournow » Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:29 am

Included pictures of my tire changing tools, just takes me longer, of course I changed tires as one of my first jobs as a kid, passenger tires, big rig , backhoes etc, so I still do it nowadays even though I am in a wheelchair, I just find it satisfying to be able to accomplish something doing it myself. But I do have plenty of time to do these types of things.

brian.peters

Post by brian.peters » Fri Jan 12, 2018 1:50 pm

Very cool. Don't have a bead breaker gonna do it all with "spoons"

Motion Pro 08-0536 BeadPro Forged Steel Tire Bead Breaker and Lever Tool Set https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00CU8ZEZQ/?tag=goldwingdocs-20 ... wAbDJG5W3H

Uncle Fester
Motorcycle: 1996 GL-1500 Cali model 'Wing, blue in color, named Ol'Blue

Post by Uncle Fester » Tue Jan 16, 2018 12:34 am

Stuff that can be done in a few hours at most, and is not too physically difficult, I do my self, the rest gets farmed out to a local “Mom & Pop” type shop here in Oklahoma City. One of the MANY down falls of a bad back and no garage/carport.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn’t do than by the ones you did do.
So throw off the bowlines.
Sail away from the safe harbor.
Catch the trade winds in your sails.
Explore,
Dream,
Discover!

Mark Twain

brian.peters

Post by brian.peters » Sun Jan 21, 2018 10:03 pm

So I swapped the front tire yesterday. Was a bit fiddly but not too bad. Was glad I was able to do it, not just because the shops are a rip off, but because I've never done that before so it's a new skill :)

Uncle Fester
Motorcycle: 1996 GL-1500 Cali model 'Wing, blue in color, named Ol'Blue

Post by Uncle Fester » Sun Jan 21, 2018 11:18 pm

brian.peters wrote:
Sun Jan 21, 2018 10:03 pm
So I swapped the front tire yesterday. Was a bit fiddly but not too bad. Was glad I was able to do it, not just because the shops are a rip off, but because I've never done that before so it's a new skill :)
It is a good feeling , isn’t it..... even a basic oil change done on your own feels good in my opinion (did my oil change today actually).

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn’t do than by the ones you did do.
So throw off the bowlines.
Sail away from the safe harbor.
Catch the trade winds in your sails.
Explore,
Dream,
Discover!

Mark Twain