Progressive 412s

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
Uncle Fester
Motorcycle: 1996 GL-1500 Cali model 'Wing, blue in color, named Ol'Blue

Progressive 412s

Post by Uncle Fester » Fri Jan 26, 2018 9:28 pm

Okay, I got my new Progressive 412 shocks yesterday, so I installed them today. . . . Such a easy job, beyond removing the saddle bags. These shocks have 4 settings on the preloader, and I set mine at 3 as a starting point. Riding solo, they are a little stiffer than I expected, but still a good ride. When the wife gets on with me, it improves the ride some more.
It is no longer the “plush”ride of the stock shock combo, but more like a soft sport bike. They also lifted my bikes rear some (my stock shocks where DEAD) , with the dead stockers I could flat foot with slightly bent knees. Now I can flat foot, but my legs are straight now.
For those who don’t know, the 412s are a non-airride set up, coil over shock with adjustable preload.

Before anyone asks, I will post a few pictures of the old, dead shocks in a little while.
Attachments

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn’t do than by the ones you did do.
So throw off the bowlines.
Sail away from the safe harbor.
Catch the trade winds in your sails.
Explore,
Dream,
Discover!

Mark Twain

redial
Motorcycle: 1997 GL1500 Spectre Red Aspencade

Re: Progressive 412s

Post by redial » Sat Feb 03, 2018 8:17 pm

They don't look too healthy from the pics. How long did it take; and would you say you are experienced at this sort of thing, or an "old has been" like this dinosaur?
Len in Kapunda

The world is not going to finish today, as it is already tomorrow in Australia and New Zealand, and other islands of foreign nations such as Guam and Samoa.

Uncle Fester

Post by Uncle Fester » Sun Feb 04, 2018 12:51 pm

Those are the pics of the dead shocks, and they where definitely dead. The whole job took me about a hour, hour and a half. I did not get any pics of the new shocks, sorry.
As for my mechanic level, I was a tech at Econo-Lube years ago, breaks, tune ups, alternators and the such. So not a old hand, but not a amature either. The hardest part of the job, like most on the 1500’s is getting the Tupperware out of the way with out breaking mounting tabs or something like that.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn’t do than by the ones you did do.
Explore,
Dream,
Discover!

Mark Twain

Rednaxs60
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200 LTD (X2), 2008 GL1800 (sold)

Post by Rednaxs60 » Sun Feb 04, 2018 1:07 pm

I replaced the rear air shocks on my '85 LTD with progressive non-air 12 series with the 1200 springs - heavy duty. Leave these set at the 4th level (have 5). Good for solo and two-up riding. Increase to the highest level if touring with luggage. Only issue is side bags have to come off to adjust. Have over 35K Kms on these and working well. Have the Race Tech springs and Gold Valves in the front forks as well. If you haven't done an upgrade in the front forks, highly recommended. New suspension in the rear will impact on the front, should have both as new.

Just a few thoughts.

Cheers
"When you write the story of your life, don't let anyone else hold the pen"

Ernest

Uncle Fester

Post by Uncle Fester » Mon Feb 05, 2018 3:02 am

As soon as our taxes come in, we are going to have the mechanic look at the front end to see if it need spiffed up any, or if it is in good shape as is. It does not leak oil, has a firm, but not rough ride, and I do not feel like there is a hinge in the middle of the bike now with the 412s.

Explore,
Dream,
Discover!

Mark Twain