Aux Input to Radio & Loss of Volume

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
Mav4G
Motorcycle: 1996 GL1500SE Goldwing - Current
1999 VT1100T Shadow ACE Tourer - Current
1987 GL1200A Aspencade x2
1986 GL1200A Aspencade
1984 GL1200A Aspencade
1978 GL1000A Goldwing
1979 Harley XLCH
1972 Honda CB305
8 or 9 other street bikes
Over a dozen dirt bikes.

Aux Input to Radio & Loss of Volume

Post by Mav4G » Sat Jan 27, 2018 6:19 pm

Hi guys. Im best known on here for GL1200 issues (had four of 'em). Recently I bought a gorgeous GL1500SE and I love it. Having been through a lot with my bikes over the years the first thing I did was pull the seat and top-side plastics and went to town cleaning all my grounds and connectors (if I dont I'll end up real disappointed). I've only put a couple hundred miles on it and up until a couple days ago the radio played real well - although the mute switch on the left handlebar kept getting stuck inward. I cleaned it with some connector spray and it freed it right up. Im not sure when, but as I was cleaning connectors I went to turn the radio on and there was suddenly very poor volume with the dial turned up full. I had to push in the AMD button to enhance the sound enough to just barely hear it. Im thinkin' like what the hell did I do now? That's the first time I've had something go south after cleaning connections, lol. As I was researching this on here I stumbled on a blog about adding an AUX line to the radio. Im good with that so thinking I couldn't make this any worse, and possibly remedy my problem at the same time, I took the radio out, opened it up, soldered a healthy 1/8" stereo plug (cut off a male to male line) to the pcb as instructed (C139 and C140 and ground to screw boss) then carefully put it all back together. I have a drawer full of cassettes so I put one in the player. The unit will acknowlege the tape but doesn't play it aloud and wont eject it so Im not sure if thats viable for me. There's a green ground wire next to the radio connectors that seats into one of the radio mount screws which I had little confidence in since that's mostly a plastic area. So I ran a fresh ground from the frame up to that screw which would give that a better ground point. The left handle controller will change channels nicely (and my CB works perfectly - with super volume - more than I can stand) and when I mute the radio the LED shows MUTE and then goes off when I turn it off so the radio is acknowledging the mute button on the handlebar. Naturally I have thoroughly cleaned all the connectors to the radio and according to the meter everything is getting power where it should, or at least as I can discern from the radio diagram I downloaded from this site. My gut instinct is at a 'Y' in the road. I feel as though there's a ground for the radio somewhere in the harness that attaches on the frame that I can't find. I may have disturbed it while cleaning the others enough so that it now doesn't have a good connection. But neither the radio diagram or the electric schematic pinpoints that for me, or Im just not seeing it clearly. If its not the ground then I suspect the radio itself which is what inspired me to put in the AUX jack to get another sound source going. But sadly nothing plays through the radio as it should; not the tape, not the AM/FM, and not the new jack for my iPod. The AMFM radio is loud enough to hear over the speakers but nothing like it should be. I could actually hear the music from the iPod when I switched over to the tape, but only when I put my ear right on the speaker and held my breath - then it would come through just faint enough to know there's a connection there. After reading all the blogs on the AUX jack issue I had hoped someone would have had this issue but I didn't find one so Im posting this new blog. You guys are all top notch so any suggestions to get me thinking will be inspiring. Thanks up front for any suggestions.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: Aux Input to Radio & Loss of Volume

Post by WingAdmin » Mon Jan 29, 2018 7:18 pm

There are three things that can mute the radio:

- Mute button
- Intercom
- CB

If there is something plugged into the intercom, and it is hearing noise, it can mute the radio as well (assuming it's going over the speakers).

You've covered the mute button. If the CB is on, with the volume down, and the squelch down (so that it is breaking squelch) you won't hear it, but it will mute the radio. Make sure the CB is turned off and try again.

Mav4G
1986 GL1200A Aspencade
1984 GL1200A Aspencade
1978 GL1000A Goldwing
1979 Harley XLCH
1972 Honda CB305
Over a dozen dirt bikes.

Post by Mav4G » Mon Jan 29, 2018 9:45 pm

Thank you for your reply. Both of the helmet jacks are in place but have nothing plugged into them as I don't have a proper helmet setup to link to it yet. The CB radio is off. It works as it should and doesn't appear to interfere with the radio muting. But I've had the CB radio off anyway since I dont currently have a mic to make two-way use of it (as in the appropriate helmet). To further complicate matters just today when I started it up the display would not come on. This was a concern so I started the bike up (which it did normally) and tested all my lights. Everything else works like it should. The neutral lamp, kickstand lamp, and oil lamp all came on, then the oil lamp went off after it started up. The tach was working so I felt confident about those systems working. About an hour later I decided to take it for a ride to meet someone for dinner and when I started the bike up the radio display came up but the radio memory was gone. Initially, before I started cleaning things the other day the memory was working and I had saved two FM stations. Then later after I noticed the radio appeared to be muted the memory also stopped working as for saving fave stations. But the clock would always keep accurate time. Now, today when the display came back on the clock reset itself to midnight and of course the saved channels were also gone. By the time I got home my attitude for solving this was gone and I'll get back on it tomorrow. I can't help but feel there's a ground somewhere that leads from the radio, into the harness, then outward to the frame where ever that's channeled. My PDF service manual doesn't have a color chart for the wire diagram and its not a clear enough copy when blown up for me to determine the ground locations. I did discern that there are two grounds running through the connectors coming off the harness into the radio jacks. I believe these are pins #17 and #23. One is for the radio and the other for data (which Im unclear about, possibly the display data). Since both are clean and well connected I don't suspect the connectors themselves, but rather the opposite location somewhere on the frame. When the display blanked on me at first start up today I checked all the fuses on the left side fuse bank and all were in good shape (uhg). There's a welling up to just replace the whole thing, but Im sure my new 1/8" plug for the iPod will work fine if I can solve this issue. I think tomorrow Im going to open up the left side handlebar controllers and go through it all carefully and see if I can make a difference there. If anyone has a color wire diagram chart for a 1996 GL1500SE I would truly appreciate a copy. They have a lifetime of value beyond a single incident like this since Im never lucky enough to have just one problem to solve. Thanks again WingAdmin for your help. You're always chiming in even when the chips are down.

Mav4G
1986 GL1200A Aspencade
1984 GL1200A Aspencade
1978 GL1000A Goldwing
1979 Harley XLCH
1972 Honda CB305
Over a dozen dirt bikes.

Post by Mav4G » Mon Jan 29, 2018 10:06 pm

Also, I just now read this blog from another user: child_of_fire at: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=6965 and since my cruise control is also having issues (comes on but wont stay on) Im thinking I may have some of the same problems he experienced. So tomorrow I will also pull the radio and go through the aforementioned issues he was having and hopefully find a solution. Either way I'll report back here what I find. Could still use that wire diagram if anyone has one to share. Thanks.

Mav4G
1986 GL1200A Aspencade
1984 GL1200A Aspencade
1978 GL1000A Goldwing
1979 Harley XLCH
1972 Honda CB305
Over a dozen dirt bikes.

Post by Mav4G » Tue Jan 30, 2018 6:23 pm

I seemed to have opened another can of worms. I took the radio back out, went through each and every prong inside the many connectors to clean and recrimp them to fit tighter; then reinstalled it all again. And the connectors did seem to go on much tighter. Then I took apart the left handlebar controls, cleaned and reinstalled them. I also found some wiring for an old GPS unit and carefully removed it all. Found a few more connectors and cleaned them. And absolutely nothing has changed in my radio's performance. I am fairly certain the cassette unit is broken. It does not play, rewind, or eject a cassette tape. May be part of the reason for my new iPod plug not working at full potential. As noted before the CB radio still works perfectly even though I cleaned the controls for it on the handlbar (small joke there). I turned the intercom switch to off. I dont know for sure if this keeps it from interfering with the radio but its off anyway. The radio comes on and shows the MUTE button works as it should. The AMD button works, the clock works, and the station display works. And I can switch between TAPE and RADIO. But the volume of sound is still very poor. And when I turn the ignition off for more than a few minutes the radio will not remember what time it is or any channel presets. It clears the memory every time, and Im sure that's a clue, but for where to look Im at a loss. Just to be on the safe side I took out every single fuse in the left side fuse box and replaced them all with the appropriate new fuse. I didn't want to have a bad one and not know it. But it didn't change anything either. I just have a lot of new fuses and clean connectors, which can't hurt in the long run. I found in the PDF service manual the location of the radio's ground point. They are at ground point 'A' according to the electrical schematic ( Im guessing that's right, Im no good with black and white diagrams ). I wanted to clean all the ground points - A thru D - but could not put my finger on them with certainty. The PDF doesn't show any actual photos of these so you have to guess a little bit. The ground points C and D seem to be motor mount bolts which Im reluctant to pull since Im uncertain as to what will happen if I do. Also there don't seem to be any wires grounding on them either, or at least I cant see them. If I can manage to download the photo I took of those bolts perhaps you could confirm for me they're the right ones and then possibly any advice on what to look out for when I go to clean them. I believe the radio ground at point A is somewhere on the left radiator (just found out I have two of 'em) near a switch. And I feel certain this requires pulling the lower plastics which will have to wait for another day. If anyone knows what Im referring to and can collaborate with me on how to go about it I could sure use the advice. Also, if anyone has an opinion on what AM/FM/BT radio makes a good fit in this bike and will marry up to the existing system that would also be a big help. Thanks for your time, its truly appreciated.

Whystay
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500SE

Post by Whystay » Thu Feb 01, 2018 3:19 am

Hello, I had the same problem with mine.....
here's a cut and paste of my solution which I posted in another forum.

...."So my new-to-me 2000 GL1500 had an issue with the radio. It worked but the volume was really low. Barely audible.

I searched the web and found several fixes; blown 5amp fuse, sticking mute button, dirty/loose connectors etc. None of them worked for me.

So after an hour of trying the above fixes, I frustratedly sprayed the motherboard with contact cleaner. There was an immediate improvement in volume. (You need to flip the plastic top-cover over and undo the steel backing plate of the radio unit). Thinking that if a little contact cleaner worked, then more should work better right? That kind of thinking has got me into trouble more often than not! So I loaded the motherboard with contact cleaner. It was as if I was trying to wipeout a colony of ants...... I let it soak in and.... no difference. Oh well.

I put the bike back together and went for a ride.

The radio was louder than before but not really audible while riding. I worked the buttons randomly and all of a sudden, there it was, full volume! Enough volume to distort the speakers.

So now it works well. I guess you have to give the contact cleaner time to work. Riding the bike may have helped get the cleaner to where it needed to be....."

In that same thread, others posted that the motherboard (circuit board) may simply have needed cleaning and that they sometimes clean it with soapy water.

Mav4G
1986 GL1200A Aspencade
1984 GL1200A Aspencade
1978 GL1000A Goldwing
1979 Harley XLCH
1972 Honda CB305
Over a dozen dirt bikes.

Post by Mav4G » Thu Feb 01, 2018 1:10 pm

Thank you Whystay for your suggestion. Im real big on solder and shrink-wrap. Yesterday I had all but given up on finding the culprit. So I invaded the radio harness and soldered in new leads for both speakers and the ignition power and ground. And Im about to order another radio I found online I can patch into the system. Where that will get me Im unclear but Im fed up with my situation. I felt that if I kept the original in place I might still salvage the intercom and display functions. And since the new radio will have its own amplifier it should work. I've had that back plate off the radio now 3 times this past week and I swore when I soldered in those leads I'd never see that pcb again... lol. But, it would bug me eternally if I didn't take your advice. I've got to run to walmart and get some more contact spray. This bike has gone through my last half a can. I'll get back on here when I've tried your solution. I hope it works for me too. Im wondering if you did the auxiliary input upgrade on your pcb? Also was your radio's memory cleared each time you turned off the ignition? I loose my clock time and presets too. I looked for a fuse for that or a battery but nothing prevailed. The manual says the 'Back Up' wire in the harness is what powers that. I checked mine and it gets power. Perhaps the MB cleaning will remedy that too. And thanks a lot for taking the time to share your experience. May the road always rise up to meet you!

Whystay
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500SE

Post by Whystay » Fri Feb 02, 2018 12:11 am

My radio always functioned as it was supposed to. Only that the volume was super low...( Solved by applying loads as contact cleaner). Presets and clock were all fine.
It was suggested that some solder joints could have been cracked and that's probably the case. A simple touch with an iron would fix that.

I didn't do the aux input upgrade.

But I've since removed the radio/cassette unit and replaced it with a single din car head unit. But it's still a work in progress so I don't have anything to show just yet.

Cheers.

Mav4G
1986 GL1200A Aspencade
1984 GL1200A Aspencade
1978 GL1000A Goldwing
1979 Harley XLCH
1972 Honda CB305
Over a dozen dirt bikes.

Post by Mav4G » Sun Feb 04, 2018 7:51 am

Well darn, things simply have not worked out for me. I pulled the pcb from the radio again and cleaned it using electronics spray and a toothbrush. Did both sides of the board put everything back together and still no improvement. The PO told me there was a thousand miles left on my oil change but I like to start fresh, especially when the oil was a bit low and thin and dark. So yesterday I discovered the 3 lower front body parts have to come off to reveal everything and low-and-behold there was the other end of the radio ground screwed into the bottom of the left side radiator. We're talking about a minor 6mm phillips head screw. You can imagine the shape it was in after 22 years of riding right behind the air grill exposed to the elements. When I attempted to remove it - it crumbled. So I snipped the wire there, extended it, and relocated the ground to the frame. Im a solder/shrinkwrap kinda guy so I do nice work. The motor just loved the oil change as it purred at startup and ran beautifully on the leak test ride. However, the radio still does not work. So, I'll start the hunt for another solution today. Im guessing it may awhile before I actually have it here and I'll post any differences I learn from that. In summary, if your radio loses 90% of its volume and the memory won't hold the time or any presets from one startup to the next then doing all the things we've discussed in this blog may not help you. But it has in the past so don't let that stop you from trying. My radio may have a bad transister or diode or something going on not remedied in the contacts, fuses, electro-washes, etc. And thanks to 'Whystay' and 'WingAdmin' for your helpful suggestions. And Whystay, if you wouldn't mind posting your updated solution you're working on now I would really be interested in seeing how that turns out for you. And thanks again... to everyone involved.

bellboy40
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500SE Candy Spectra Red
1994 GL1500SE Bermuda Green

Post by bellboy40 » Sun Feb 04, 2018 9:49 am

Have you looked for the 5 amp fuse in the relay box? The 5 amp fuse in there is where the voltage comes from to keep the presets and clock time. It is in a different place than the other fuses.

Mav4G
1986 GL1200A Aspencade
1984 GL1200A Aspencade
1978 GL1000A Goldwing
1979 Harley XLCH
1972 Honda CB305
Over a dozen dirt bikes.

Post by Mav4G » Sun Feb 04, 2018 12:36 pm

Thanks for your suggestion bellboy40. No Im unclear as to the location of this 'relay box'. Could you be a little bit more specific about where its at? You've breathed in a little more fresh air and now Im real curious. Thanks for your help.

Mav4G
1986 GL1200A Aspencade
1984 GL1200A Aspencade
1978 GL1000A Goldwing
1979 Harley XLCH
1972 Honda CB305
Over a dozen dirt bikes.

Post by Mav4G » Sun Feb 04, 2018 1:00 pm

OK, after searching it out in the manual I believe I found what is known as the '5a Backup Fuse' which leads in to the audio connector at the radio. There seems to be an endless amount of relays and fuses and Im still unclear as to where I'll find this. I've attached the doc showing which one I believe it to be and perhaps you fellas can help pinpoint where I will find it on my bike? Any more help is appreciated. And if anyone has a color schematic of the wiring diagram I would appreciative for a copy. Thank for your help!

5a Radio Fuse (not in main box)
5a Radio Fuse (not in main box)

Stew
2005 Honda CRF230F

Previous bikes:
2003 Honda Ruckus
1993 Honda Elite SR
1986 Honda CR125R
1979 Yamaha GT80

Post by Stew » Sun Feb 04, 2018 1:44 pm

Mav4G wrote:
Sun Feb 04, 2018 7:51 am
So yesterday I discovered the 3 lower front body parts have to come off to reveal everything and low-and-behold there was the other end of the radio ground screwed into the bottom of the left side radiator. We're talking about a minor 6mm phillips head screw...When I attempted to remove it - it crumbled. So I snipped the wire there, extended it, and relocated the ground to the frame...however, the radio still does not work.
Dang it, I really thought you had it this time!
Winging it every chance I get 8-)

19,119 miles when I got it from dad Oct 15, 2017 --- 21,734 miles and counting as of May 23, 2018!

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Post by WingAdmin » Sun Feb 04, 2018 3:12 pm

Mav4G wrote:
Sun Feb 04, 2018 1:00 pm
OK, after searching it out in the manual I believe I found what is known as the '5a Backup Fuse' which leads in to the audio connector at the radio. There seems to be an endless amount of relays and fuses and Im still unclear as to where I'll find this. I've attached the doc showing which one I believe it to be and perhaps you fellas can help pinpoint where I will find it on my bike? Any more help is appreciated. And if anyone has a color schematic of the wiring diagram I would appreciative for a copy. Thank for your help!
5A RADIO FUSE.jpg
Well if you look in the corner of the box surrounding that fuse, you'll see a number "13" - which means it is fuse 13 in your fuse box. Unlike older Wings, there aren't mystery fuses scattered around the bike in random places, they're all in the fuse box.

bellboy40

Post by bellboy40 » Sun Feb 04, 2018 3:24 pm

The relays are behind the left saddle bag. You may have to loosen the bag to move it out some to get to the relays. The backup fuse will be down at the bottom of the relays. #13 in this picture.

Mav4G
1986 GL1200A Aspencade
1984 GL1200A Aspencade
1978 GL1000A Goldwing
1979 Harley XLCH
1972 Honda CB305
Over a dozen dirt bikes.

Post by Mav4G » Sun Feb 04, 2018 5:47 pm

Well, I've already replaced all 11 fuses on the left side of the fuse box with new ones. The right side cluster, so far, I've been unable to get out of the frame. It looks like the only way I can do that on this bike is to remove the left luggage box - as part of it is trapping the fuse box against the frame. Have you dealt with this? I quit fighting with it after awhile as I didn't want to damage the fuse box or anything else. I didn't try spraying the cover with silicone to make it slippery, Thanks for pointing this out. I knew there were some relays on the right side but I didn't connect the number 13 as I should have. I'll be all over this tomorrow again.

bellboy40

Post by bellboy40 » Sun Feb 04, 2018 5:53 pm

As mentioned above, I believe you will be able to get to the relays by loosening the left saddle bag. You should be able to get to them without taking the bag completely off.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Post by WingAdmin » Mon Feb 05, 2018 9:23 am

bellboy40 wrote:
Sun Feb 04, 2018 5:53 pm
As mentioned above, I believe you will be able to get to the relays by loosening the left saddle bag. You should be able to get to them without taking the bag completely off.
Yes. I will remove the top left bolt, and loosen all the other 3, the bag can then be pulled out enough that you can get the relay cover off.

Mav4G
1986 GL1200A Aspencade
1984 GL1200A Aspencade
1978 GL1000A Goldwing
1979 Harley XLCH
1972 Honda CB305
Over a dozen dirt bikes.

Post by Mav4G » Mon Feb 05, 2018 11:57 am

I really hate it when I don't take my own advice and follow my instincts. I've trained all my children with the knowledge there's no shortcuts to full success. It wasn't until you pointed out fuse #13 might be bad that I found the description for it in the manual yesterday and when I read that it was the 'Backup' fuse I finally put 2 + 2 together as #18 is the 'backup' line-in on the radio's main connector which is described as energizing the display's functions, but nowhere does it also say that it effects radio volume. So I didn't connect the dots when it was volume that was my primary issue. Apparently, while cleaning all my connectors and removing old PO electrical accessories and old lines I shorted the #18 circuit and blew the #13 fuse. The radio worked fine on my 70 mile long ride home from purchasing it. So I knew it was my doing or just my bad timing of something failing (sh*t happens). For this reason I was motivated to find the culprit since it had just happened. I felt certain it was a decaying ground point or a fuse/relay issue. As you may have read in my earlier blogs I have r/r'd and cleaned every ground point and connector I can find w/o removing the bags or fairing in their entirety. And I went through and replaced every fuse I could get to with a new one. So, to cut to the chase I pulled the forward 3 bolts from the saddlebag and the fuse box finally came out. Sure enough #13 was blown. I put two new fuses in cranked up the bike and the radio volume nearly blew me over. And of course the clock and presets now function normally. Im not disappointed with all my other work as I've erased 22 years of decay and future potential problems (which was my goal to begin with). Each of you have helped me along my way and I can't thank you all enough for your helpful suggestions. As always, after sharing on this blog, I have once again resolved my issues. Thanks to you all! ... Yay! Until next time... be well.

bellboy40

Post by bellboy40 » Mon Feb 05, 2018 1:33 pm

Hey Mav4g, somewhere up in the thread you asked if anyone had a color wiring diagram. Here is a link to one that was made by a member here (Erdeniz Umman). It is made in hi-res so can be expanded to see details.
Oh, and congrats on fixing your radio problem!

http://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/att ... ramsv4.pdf

Mav4G
1986 GL1200A Aspencade
1984 GL1200A Aspencade
1978 GL1000A Goldwing
1979 Harley XLCH
1972 Honda CB305
Over a dozen dirt bikes.

Post by Mav4G » Mon Feb 05, 2018 6:32 pm

Thank you many times bellboy40!!! It has been awhile since I was on that site, had to reset my password to get access. But when I did, OMG! I got all 17 color schematics! I just can't thank you enough. These old eyes aren't much good w/o magnification, and it all works so much better in color. That's a big win win for me today! Thanks again bellboy40, and to all you guys for leaving obvious markers on my path to follow. I hope this helps someone else, and Im always willing to share too.
As a tidbit followup to my issues. The aux input for the iPod would work if the cassette would close and activate. After I put in the new fuses today it powered up but would not engage so Im afraid that part of it is toast. But on the upside I was able to use an FM grabber to send music from the iPod or smartphone of my choice (uses 1/8" plug) to the radio station 88.3 FM. And it came in perfectly - full volume. I've dealt with a lot in a short period of time and feel so much better about my vibes with this bike. It will sure be a lot more fun to ride. Thanks to you all! Be well!

bellboy40

Post by bellboy40 » Mon Feb 05, 2018 8:21 pm

I modified my radio on the 94 model for an aux input. It was the mod that used a switch and relay to change over to the aux input. It worked great but on my 2000 model I just connected a FM modulator for the aux input and it works just fine for me. I suppose the modification has better fidelity than the FM modulator but to these old ears, and especially riding down the road, I can't tell any difference and the FM modulator was a lot easier to hook up.

Mav4G
1986 GL1200A Aspencade
1984 GL1200A Aspencade
1978 GL1000A Goldwing
1979 Harley XLCH
1972 Honda CB305
Over a dozen dirt bikes.

Post by Mav4G » Tue Feb 06, 2018 7:50 am

Agreed. I went to a good deal more trouble to solder in an AUX lead then simply tuning in the modulator. I used it last night and it worked great so if I tire of AM/FM there are still choices w/o removing the radio. I've looked around and there really are not a lot of options for replacement. And for all the grief involved, and potential loss of intercom with most of them I don't think I was going to end up happy with that. So fixing this issue works out so nice since none of the original body lines have been compromised so the styling is still there. I did find a replacement radio but they wanted $500 for it. And as nice as that would be it wouldn't sound any better to me than the modulator. I moved on from cassettes 15 years ago so having one that works wouldn't really have much more value than it's novelty. And I still value the two-bit quarter so saving my radio has great value.