OEM fork springs

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
Redhot
Motorcycle: Gl1500 K

OEM fork springs

Post by Redhot » Fri Feb 02, 2018 11:02 am

Anyone replaced old springs with new oem ? I will be taking off caps for oil and will measure springs whilst I'm at it. Most seem to put on progressive with positive results. But, I replaced my good quality, but old car springs with cheap new springs. The crap springs were a big improvement, leading me to believe progressive will be an improvement over old springs, but... are they better than NEW oem ? This isn't a money issue, but I seem to remember ? progressive springs being less compliant.

kane67
Motorcycle: Honda GL1500-88

Re: OEM fork springs

Post by kane67 » Fri Feb 02, 2018 4:43 pm

I have no comment for springs but if caps don’t have schrader valves, drill and tap the caps for future oil changes... it is so easy to change fork oil when you have access via caps... ;)

Redhot

Post by Redhot » Fri Feb 02, 2018 5:40 pm

That was in my other post on oil. Ta for the tip though.

wingdings
Motorcycle: Honda Goldwing gl 1989

Post by wingdings » Sat Feb 03, 2018 1:02 pm

Hi - there !! - Saw your post there !! - I have just done a recent complete fork rebuild on my 89 k - wing - that included rebuilding the forks and rear suspension units as well - I also made and built the tools for removing the fork caps too !! - view - links - viewtopic.php?f=14&t=16118http://goldwi ... 14&t=36765 and viewtopic.php?f=14&t=36897 viewtopic.php?f=6&t=36906&p=222627&hili ... ls#p222627 I have on mine progressive 416's and progressive front fork springs on the older wings - there were two sets of springs a large spring and a small one you will not know which one you have till you take the fork cap off - if you check out my other posts you will see some of the problems I faced - I see also your in England like myself - I am in Somerset - So if that's close I may be able to help you further if you wish ?? .. :D :D :D :D :D

See these links too !! - Re: How to make your own fork cap spring removal tool
Report this post

Hi - Folks - just a quick post to say I made a cracking off nut tool to go with this tool to aid the removal of the fork caps - please - view topic viewtopic.php?f=6&t=36798

if you wish to make all the tools I have posted here are the links to them -

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=36633

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=36539

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=36420

Redhot

Post by Redhot » Sat Feb 03, 2018 1:52 pm

Hiya. Love your homemade tools ! I'm on the other side of uk, Canterbury Kent. Thanks for the offer though..Do you think you could compress your springs without your tool ?

MikeB
Motorcycle: 1998 - GL1500 Aspencade.
2003 - GL1800A

Post by MikeB » Sat Feb 03, 2018 4:14 pm

I know you are saying that it is not about the money but, the springs are between $50 and $75 US per fork tube depending where you buy them.

And, if someone has already replaced the springs, you will no doubt not have an OEM spacer to insert with your OEM springs. Of course you will not know that until you take off the fork caps. The spacers can still be procured for about $11 US each.

Oh yes, and some of the GL1500's had two springs, an inner and an outer, in each tube but I do not know which years those were.

So, if I was in your shoes, I'd buy a set of springs from Progressive, they are about $100 for a set of 2, and have them on hand for when you do take the forks apart.
MikeB
Tacoma, WA, USA

Redhot

Post by Redhot » Sat Feb 03, 2018 5:02 pm

MikeB. That does make sense, and probably will go that route if my springs don't measure up. My thinking was though, that most? replace old knackered OEM springs with nice new progressive and say wow, much better. Well yes, that's like replacing an old worn Avon tyre with a new Dunlop and saying wow, the Dunlops so much better than the Avon so 'always upgrade to Dunlop' if you get my drift. Has anyone done a comparison with NEW oem springs vs progressive ? Just that, progressive ( from what I remember years ago) in reality, just seemed to stiffened suspension up overall. Bike felt better on small bumps, and worse on bigger. Progressive were easily available when Honda built this bike, so why didn't they use them ?

wingdings

Post by wingdings » Sat Feb 03, 2018 5:51 pm

Hi- ya there - Again - Red hot - lol .. in reply to your query there !! - - Yes there is a way to take the fork cap screw cap off - How ever - I would consider it very much danger to yourself to do !! - here is moon fleet !! on dell boys garage doing the same thing - and even he says its deadly !!! ??? -

- I would also say that you would do more damage to the fine threads on the cap also - the progressive springs are a lot longer too !! so trying to compress them back into the tube and getting the cap back on again would prove a bit of a bitch to do - if I was you id build the tool I made there fella - and follow Mike B's advise - too !! - The guy knows his stuff and has helped me out on more than one occasion - A true fellow winger as well - !!..

or you could try this -

but again I would not !! ... :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

Like I said to Mike B - has helped me in the past - Red hot - here is his input from when I did my forks - take a look at this link -

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=36683&hilit=forks tell ya top man he is fella ..

Redhot

Post by Redhot » Sat Feb 03, 2018 6:28 pm

Wingding, Mike seems very experienced and has been a great help. Thanks Mike !
Thinking about it, if I take caps off without a clamping tool of some description, I could be in real trouble if someone has already fitted progressives ! Your tool is great but I can't weld. Guess its forks off then and make some wood clamps. What a PITA just to change oil ! I'll drill caps to prevent this in future. Btw, do you also have to take forks off with your tool ? Cheers everyone for all the help 8-)

wingdings

Post by wingdings » Sat Feb 03, 2018 7:13 pm

here what your saying there - red hot - hope your good at wood work then !! .. ?? .. lol -

try - this then fella !! - viewtopic.php?t=37484#p226840 and go to this link too -

http://goldwingtech.info/exavid/forktool.html

and have a look at this too - viewtopic.php?f=6&t=10184&p=221626#p221626 go though all of it fella !! ... hope this may help you too !!!.. :D :D :D :D

MikeB
Motorcycle: 1998 - GL1500 Aspencade.
2003 - GL1800A

Post by MikeB » Sat Feb 03, 2018 9:50 pm

Redhot wrote:
Sat Feb 03, 2018 5:02 pm
MikeB. That does make sense, and probably will go that route if my springs don't measure up. My thinking was though, that most? replace old knackered OEM springs with nice new progressive and say wow, much better. Well yes, that's like replacing an old worn Avon tyre with a new Dunlop and saying wow, the Dunlops so much better than the Avon so 'always upgrade to Dunlop' if you get my drift. Has anyone done a comparison with NEW oem springs vs progressive ? Just that, progressive ( from what I remember years ago) in reality, just seemed to stiffened suspension up overall. Bike felt better on small bumps, and worse on bigger. Progressive were easily available when Honda built this bike, so why didn't they use them ?
I do not know anyone that replaced their worn OEM springs with new OEM springs but I imagine it has been done.

You ask why didn't Honda use the Progressive springs when they engineered and built the bike. I do not have an answer for you.

MikeB
Tacoma, WA, USA