Front end shimmy

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
bigguy_362001
Motorcycle: 1996 GL 1500 Aspencade

Front end shimmy

Postby bigguy_362001 » Mon Oct 25, 2010 2:35 pm

I just got this bike my first wing. I was riding at a speed of maybe 35 and i let off on one hand and relesed the preasure but did not let go the handle bar and the front end started shimming. What is the suspect here. wheel bearing fork or tree yoke.

Joe

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: Front end shimmy

Postby WingAdmin » Tue Oct 26, 2010 7:48 pm

It can be a number of things - often the steering bearing - but Goldwings are known for this. More commonly it doesn't happen until you let go with BOTH hands however. In a lot of those cases, the cause is never found, and the solution ends up being just don't let go of the handlebars with both hands.

The fact that you've still got one hand on the handlebars when it shimmies might indicate that there is something loose - steering bearing, rear swingarm pivot, wheel bearing, loose forks. It's really a matter of trial and error at this point.

If you have it on the center stand, push the rear wheel to the ground so the front wheel floats free, try swinging the steering back and forth and see if you can feel it "grabbing" at any point.

bigguy_362001

Postby bigguy_362001 » Tue Oct 26, 2010 9:00 pm

Thanks for the info I have tried to see if there is any play in the wheel bearing and the tree thfront shocks are tough to see if the oil is low the book I have the Cylmer say to check the forks have to be compressed, I have yet to figure that one out. unless I put a jack under the front wheel and chain the bike down then jack up the front tire.
But I may rebuild the forks or have it done. They want $400.00 at the bike shop I go to. but looking at it I think I can do it my self. but the hour i work I do not know when I would have time except for the summer lay up, see I live in Arizona so we do ot ride in the summer much when it is hot hot hot.

Oh yea my hand was noe really wrapped around the handle bar I was in the process when it started shake or shimmy.

Thanks Again. I need all the help I can get. I actually thought of taking my 1800VTX down the same road to make shure it was not the road.

Joe

ekcyclerepair
Motorcycle: Various

Postby ekcyclerepair » Mon Nov 01, 2010 11:32 pm

As WingAdmin stated, it could be several things. The most common problem I've found is steering bearings that are slightly loose. When the bearings are adjusted correctly, there is very slight resistance when turning the bars and this dampens the steering so you don't get the front end shake.

You can check them by putting the bike on it's centerstand. Jack up the bike so the front wheel is off the ground. With the handlebars centered, give the bars a pretty good push and let go, so that it hits the steering stop. If it bounces off the steering stop a couple of times, then the bearings are a little loose and need to be adjusted. (If the bearings adjustment is ok, then there will be slight resistance when pushing/letting go of the bars, and it will hit the steering stop, but won't bounce off the stop). The actual adjustment is something you have to get a feel for. A little loose and the front end shakes. A little too tight and the bike starts tracking weird.

I hope this helps.
Ernie

bigguy_362001

Postby bigguy_362001 » Thu Nov 04, 2010 6:50 am

Thanks Ernie every little bit of info helps. I talked to the top wing mecanic at the honda dealer by me and he told me basicly the same thing it has a lot to do with the adjustment of the yoke. he said the best thing to do would be to put progressive springs in the fork tubes and change the yoke bearings from balls to the roller bearings so When I can I may do that when I can afford it.

Joe

Return to “GL1500 Information & Questions”