Richland Roadster Trike kit

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
BOSNBOB
Motorcycle: 1993 ASPENCADE

Richland Roadster Trike kit

Post by BOSNBOB » Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:31 pm

He guys I live in Virginia Beach, Virginia and I was wondering if there is someone out there that lives in my area that has this Trike kit so I can check it out. I have pretty much made up my mind to get it but I have to be sure because I haven't seen one up close. The only place you can get this kit is in Dade Florida and I will drive down for the kit. You might want to check it out and make up your own mine, its only $3750.00 to get it done. If you know of someone even 100 mile I will still go and check it out. Thanks for your help. Bob PS; IT IS Called Richland Roadster.

BMC SW/USN RETIRED
1993 Aspencade

TheChief
Motorcycle: 1999 Goldwing Aspencade SE GL-1500, 2000 Goldwing GL-1500 SE.

Re: Richland Roadster Trike kit

Post by TheChief » Mon Mar 12, 2018 7:57 am

Ahoy Shipmate.

The Richland Roadster is very similar to the 2 MTC Voyagers that I have.

One thing I noticed about the RR is they use the motor guard tubing as attachment points for the "belly pan", and that's really not the best way to do this, for two reasons.

1. The crash guards are held in place by two bolts that are not spec'd for that amount of shear loading.
2. The brackets are attached to the crash guards with U bolts. Over time the nuts will loosen and you end up with guards that are mangled..

Another point is the RR "belly bracket" looks nasty...

On the other hand, the Voyager belly bracket is attached to the center stand cross member and to brackets attached to the motor mounts. This makes for a much cleaner installation and places all of the loading on the frame.

About lights... Get a CycleMax Trailer Wiring Harness http://cyclemax.com/inc/sdetail/gl1500_ ... /129/59647 and a Hopkins 5 to 4 wire adapter. If you go with LED lights, Hopkins has an adapter that is LED compatible. The CycleMax harness is pretty much plug and play. You don't need those stupid piercing splices, and you get a clean installation that works.

One final thought. How difficult is it to remove the RR and go back to having a 2-wheeler? My Voyagers are held on by two large bolts that go through Heim joints. Using the provided jacking bolts and rear jack stand, I can take a Voyager kit off BY MY SELF in about 15 minutes. Same thing for putting it back on...

Fair Winds and Ride Safe...
Cliff Hipsher
ICC USN (Ret.)
'99 Honda Goldwing Aspencade SE
'00 Honda Goldwing Aspencade SE
I.A.M.B.K.
Safety is NO accident.
I Ride. Therefore I am....

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Post by WingAdmin » Mon Mar 12, 2018 5:57 pm

TheChief wrote:
Mon Mar 12, 2018 7:57 am
1. The crash guards are held in place by two bolts that are not spec'd for that amount of shear loading.
My trailer kit is mounted this way - using the rear crash bar upper mounting bolts, which clearly were never meant for the shear load received from pulling a trailer. Because the previous owner had managed to strip out the threads for the upper mounting bolt on the right side anyway (and he had fixed this problem by fastening the crash bar and the trailer towing kit in place by using a nylon zip tie instead of a bolt :shock:), I decided to drill the frame, the crash bar and the bracket on each side out to a larger diameter, and then fit a larger, high-strength bolt through them. Instead of re-tapping the frame, I used a nut (with thread lock) on the back side of the frame. I have no worries about that bolt ever shearing due to non-crash loading. This might be an option for you to consider as well.

TheChief
Motorcycle: 1999 Goldwing Aspencade SE GL-1500, 2000 Goldwing GL-1500 SE.

Post by TheChief » Mon Mar 12, 2018 7:49 pm

The only thing that should ever be mounted to a crash bar is a gremlin bell...
Cliff Hipsher
ICC USN (Ret.)
'99 Honda Goldwing Aspencade SE
'00 Honda Goldwing Aspencade SE
I.A.M.B.K.
Safety is NO accident.
I Ride. Therefore I am....

cwgreen
Motorcycle: 1989 GL1500 goldwing, 82 CBX 1070
87 CMX450C Rebel,

Post by cwgreen » Sun Apr 01, 2018 2:23 pm

I have a Richland Roadster trike kit on my 89 Goldwing that I installed myself. I did lots of research before buying mine and for four wheel trike kits I guess they are ok but there are lots of drawbacks. Mine is very hard to turn through corners and it is easy to raise the inside wheel in a turn. I called the manifacturer in Dade and talked to the man that designed the kit and he said it should not be hard to turn nor be easy to raise the inside wheel if I had installed it by the instructions. I did install it exactly by the instructions but I went back and double checked all measurements and angles that the instructions talk about and they were perfect. i tried adjusting the tension on the torsion bars both tighter and looser and the only difference that made is that the bike would lean more or less in a turn. I aslo had a bad rattle in the kit if I was on any surface besides a perfectly smooth hi-way. That was the fenders shaking so I called about that and they sent be a bolt on set of fender braces. That helped some but the remainder of the ratteling was from the foot boards that they put between the inter and outer beams of the frame. It only had two bolts on each side holding the boards on. After I bolted it down in several places the noise was gone. They recommend that you run 40psi in the rear air shock when you level and set up the trike. I did that and the finished product seems a bit unstable at hi-way speeds. I had never ridden a regular trike converted wing before but after having all the handling problems that I had, I rode three or four different ones. Some with raked forks and one without. There is no comparison between mine and any of the regular three wheel conversions. They are very stable and not hard to turn at all, especially the ones with the raked forks. They feel like they have power steering. Also, they told me that the Richland Roadster rode like it had independent suspinion but that is far from what I experienced. I know this is a long read but there is so much more I could tell. I would like to sell you mine and buy me a regular trike. Don’t get me wrong, this kit is the best four wheel add-on kit that I found but none of them hold a light to a regular trike, especially if you get a raked fork and independent suspension. One other thing I must mention because it is a safety item. There is no brakes on the kit so your bike brakes have to do all the stopping of that extra weight. Also, if you are trying to stop on unlevel ground your rear wheel can come off the ground because the kit wheels are holding it up and you will not have much stopping power until the rear tire of your cycle gets back on the ground. I wish I had known all this before I spent any money on the kit, I would have better used my money on a REAL trike. Hope this saves you from much of the trouble that I had. I think you are making the right decision by having the factory install the kit if you are going to buy one. That way if it does not perform like you think it should, they will have to deal with it.

:roll: :lol: :arrow: