car tire on a 99 gl1500se

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
MIAH
Motorcycle: 1999 GL 1500 SE
"DARKSIDED"
OVER 700 LEDS

car tire on a 99 gl1500se

Postby MIAH » Sat Oct 30, 2010 11:04 am

Does anyone know what car tires are being used on the 99 gl1500 ? is there a list of tires being used ??

2 COR. 5:17
"Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation; the old has gone, behold the new has come."

Everything is owned by GOD, and distributed by HIM, to be managed by us for a very brief time !!!

Morgul
Motorcycle: 1997 GL1500 SE

Re: car tire on a 99 gl1500se

Postby Morgul » Sun Oct 31, 2010 9:50 am

Why would one want to use a car tire on a bike? Aren't they entirely different? Tread design, construction, front vs. rear, etc. Not trying to be a smartass, asking out of ignorance.

robb
Motorcycle: 1989 Honda GL1500 Aspencade

Postby robb » Sun Oct 31, 2010 3:14 pm

Some 205/60-16, others 175/60-16, but 175/75-16 is correct for height and will keep the speedo correct. Not running one yet but will be as soon as new one is needed. Was told better ride and handling and after trying a friends bike I'm sold on the idea. Nearly 30k on rear tire and a solid winner in the rain.

MIAH
Motorcycle: 1999 GL 1500 SE
"DARKSIDED"
OVER 700 LEDS

Postby MIAH » Sun Oct 31, 2010 8:07 pm

robb wrote:Some 205/60-16, others 175/60-16, but 175/75-16 is correct for height and will keep the speedo correct. Not running one yet but will be as soon as new one is needed. Was told better ride and handling and after trying a friends bike I'm sold on the idea. Nearly 30k on rear tire and a solid winner in the rain.

robb , what brand of car tire are some using ????
2 COR. 5:17
"Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation; the old has gone, behold the new has come."

Everything is owned by GOD, and distributed by HIM, to be managed by us for a very brief time !!!

robb

Postby robb » Sun Oct 31, 2010 9:22 pm

Have a Verdestein 175/75-16 that will be mounted as soon as I can get a different wheel. Don't wont to dismount a new tire that is on bike now. Only 1/2" wider and 0.5 mph faster to correct speedometer.

vtxcandyred
Motorcycle: 1993 Honda Goldwing SE

Postby vtxcandyred » Mon Nov 01, 2010 9:21 am

If I can find one, I'll be running the Goodyear Triple Tread. I have a Cooper on my VTX and has been there for more than three years. I will be replacing it with the triple tread too. The tire is nowhere near being worn out. I just put a cheapie on not knowing if it would work or how well if it did and I am SOLD on having a car tire on the rear end. The ONLY adverse handling I've found is when you are going slow, like approching a light and theres the grooves in the roadway, it feels a bit squirrely. I've never put it down nor came close to it. I've driven the tail of the dragon with no ill effects. Two pennies.

BikerGuy
Motorcycle: 2008 Goldwing

Postby BikerGuy » Mon Nov 01, 2010 10:58 am

Why in the world would anyone want to put a car tire on a motorcycle? First of all, when you go around a corner or sharp curve, there's far less tire on the road which can lead to a serious accident! when you're riding a bike, you don't see what's happening with the loss of tire contact to the road. This is why motorcycle tires are designed to be rounded! also, car tires are not designed to ride on the sidewall or outer edge of a tire. This can be dangerous! Bikes are constantly leaning and riding on the sides of the tire which is why they're rounded!

Video with a car tire....

Same bike with a bike tire......

Secondly, there's a safety factor. Some people are lucky but I wouldn't want to push my luck. Motorcycle tires are stickier than car tires so they hold the road better. If you're riding and get caught on wet pavement, you're much more likely to go down if you have a car tire on the bike. There's other safety concerns too. If you have to swerve to avoid a head on accident because some idiot didn't see you and pulled out in front of you, you won't be able to do that nearly as effectively with a car tire on the bike. They're not designed for a bike and the riding bikers do!

Just my humble opinion! By the way -

1 - are you using radials or bias ply tires? My wing is a 1995 and it uses bias ply tires. That brings up another point. You're not supposed to mix two different tires together such as a bias ply on one wheel and a radial on the other.......

2 - If you're using a car tire on the back, why not use one on the front too??

3 - I wonder if a bike shop would install a car tire on a bike?? There's a question of liability that they could be held liable for doing it even tho it's the rider's stupidity!

I did some research on the net and all over the net, there's praise for using a car tire so maybe I'm wrong!..... Even from people who thought along the lines of my thinking above!

vtxcandyred

Postby vtxcandyred » Mon Nov 01, 2010 11:06 am

jmerklin wrote:Why in the world would anyone want to put a car tire on a motorcycle? First of all, when you go around a corner or sharp curve, there's far less tire on the road which can lead to a serious accident! when you're riding a bike, you don't see what's happening with the loss of tire contact to the road. This is why motorcycle tires are designed to be rounded! also, car tires are not designed to ride on the sidewall or outer edge of a tire. This can be dangerous! Bikes are constantly leaning and riding on the sides of the tire which is why they're rounded!

Video with a car tire.... [YouTube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QwSSXHanpv0[/YouTube]
Same bike with a bike tire...... [YouTube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hIfrFch-VqE[/YouTube]

Secondly, there's a safety factor. Some people are lucky but I wouldn't want to push my luck. Motorcycle tires are stickier than car tires so they hold the road better. If you're riding and get caught on wet pavement, you're much more likely to go down if you have a car tire on the bike. There's other safety concerns too. If you have to swerve to avoid a head on accident because some idiot didn't see you and pulled out in front of you, you won't be able to do that nearly as effectively with a car tire on the bike. They're not designed for a bike and the riding bikers do!

1 - are you using radials or bias ply tires? My wing is a 1995 and it uses bias ply tires. That brings up another point. You're not supposed to mix two different tires together such as a bias ply on one wheel and a radial on the other.......

3 - I wonder if a bike shop would install a car tire on a bike?? There's a question of liability that they could be held liable for doing it even tho it's the rider's stupidity!

I did some research on the net and all over the net, there's praise for using a car tire so maybe I'm wrong!..... Even from people who thought along the lines of my thinking above!

In my humble opinion the car tire flex's just fine. Have you ever been to the tail of the dragon? Its 318 curves in eleven miles. It handled just fine. As for mixing radial and non radial I've not seen any do's or don'ts on a bike, just a car. If there is a concern I don't believe its affecting too many so far. As far as a front, I don't know of any tires that meet that requirement as yet. If there is I would certainly put one on. I have my local bike shop mount and balance the tire no problem. I don't know if a car tire dealer would have the proper equipment to do the job AND balance it.

BikerGuy

Postby BikerGuy » Mon Nov 01, 2010 12:59 pm

I live in NC so yes, I've been to the tail of the dragon a few times..

Here's a question that has merit... 1500 Goldwings use bias ply tires. The rims are NOT designed for radials. Is it safe to put a radial CAR TIRE on that rim even tho the rim is not designed for radials?

Thanks!

vtxcandyred

Postby vtxcandyred » Mon Nov 01, 2010 1:03 pm

Very safe indeed. If you could see how difficult it is to mount and how well it seals onto the rim I believe you’d see it’s safe. I have yet to have heard of a tire separating from the rim.

BikerGuy

Postby BikerGuy » Mon Nov 01, 2010 1:17 pm

Another question, an important one I think....

Has anyone that uses a car tire on their bike gotten into an accident yet? It seems to me that using a car tire would be an avenue of escape for the insurance company in the event of a serious traffic collision. They would say the cause of the accident was the major contributing factor in the accident. In addition to that,the bike manufacturers will definitely not recommend using car tires and an insurance company would say that and deny the claim, wouldn't they!!??

I would be interested in knowing about that angle being that I'm settling an insurance claim for my injuries in a car accident at the moment and that has been very difficult. I've been arguing with the insurance company for nearly 2 months even tho it was not my fault at all. So you can see, if something about a vehicle is not standard and against a manufacturer's recommendations, how much more difficult it would be to collect the damages.

BikerGuy

Postby BikerGuy » Mon Nov 01, 2010 1:37 pm

I found this on a site and thought I would share........

The use of a Car Tire on the GoldWing is no longer in the Test pilot era. I and a great many other riders consider this to be a great alternative to a standard motorcycle tire.

We do not run them for tire tread life, that is just an added benefit. But it is mostly on the safety side.

A regular motorcycle tire on a big heavy bike has its problems, most rider caused for sure with under inflation of the tires, just the same tire tread separation , cracking of the tread, and the occasional blowout simply does not happen with the use of the modern ROF Car tires used today on the Wings. There are a great many advantages to their use especially on these heavy bikes, two up, pulling trailers and all that.

We have by use proven we have better traction, even on the edge the footprint is longer and has more tread on the road than a regular tire, straight up much more and this is where the wing spends most of its time, straight up. Better traction in the wet, simply due to the extra siping on a CT, and naturally better braking.

The handling is different, at first, but one does get used to that in about the first half a day one rides on a CT. Some tires work better than others, and some are just almost as good handling as a regular tire, not quite, but almost.

We are long past, if it will work, is it safe , and will it cause problems. We are at this point mainly and constantly trying different tires in the search for the best one, which finally boils down to you and how you perceive things as what is best for you.

This is just a quick summary, there is a great deal to learn about this whole situation, and the best way to learn is to go get involved, do not listen to hearsay, do your research, and you might find a great and safe alternative to the standard application of motorcycle tires on large heavy bikes.

BikerGuy

Postby BikerGuy » Mon Nov 01, 2010 1:41 pm

Sounds good to me, but if they're as hard to put on as you say, I would hate to think how much harder it would be to remove it to put a new tire on! :twisted:

vtxcandyred wrote:
jmerklin wrote:Why in the world would anyone want to put a car tire on a motorcycle? First of all, when you go around a corner or sharp curve, there's far less tire on the road which can lead to a serious accident! when you're riding a bike, you don't see what's happening with the loss of tire contact to the road. This is why motorcycle tires are designed to be rounded! also, car tires are not designed to ride on the sidewall or outer edge of a tire. This can be dangerous! Bikes are constantly leaning and riding on the sides of the tire which is why they're rounded!

Video with a car tire.... [YouTube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QwSSXHanpv0[/YouTube]
Same bike with a bike tire...... [YouTube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hIfrFch-VqE[/YouTube]

In my humble opinion the car tire flex's just fine. Have you ever been to the tail of the dragon? Its 318 curves in eleven miles. It handled just fine. As for mixing radial and non radial I've not seen any do's or don'ts on a bike, just a car. If there is a concern I don't believe its affecting too many so far. As far as a front, I don't know of any tires that meet that requirement as yet. If there is I would certainly put one on. I have my local bike shop mount and balance the tire no problem. I don't know if a car tire dealer would have the proper equipment to do the job AND balance it.

robb

Postby robb » Mon Nov 01, 2010 4:21 pm

Car tires have been on bikes for years; military used them, used to be the best for 70-80 model HD Touring bikes. My 75 Sportster run VW tires for 80k before being stolen. Boss Hoss and other heavy bikes run car tires. It has been long known that a car tire will do the job, gripping and stopping much better. All the insurance wants to know is if it is DOT rated. My insurance company does not have a problem with my tires. Goldwing wheels meet all the criteria for radial tires, wheels did not change but tire construction did so we are OK. Too many people see the video's of a wide profile tire on a bike and form an automatic opinion. The 175/75-16 is a perfect fit and the same profile as the motorcycle tire, only thing is it cost more than an easily avaliable wider tire. This tire has no altered affects to bike and if you did not know it was being used you could tell no difference. The wide factor is what makes the car tire difficult. I tried for 2 days to mount a 195/65-15 on my vstar with no luck, but mounted a 195/70-15 by hand in 10 minutes. I've probably got more than a hundred thousand miles on a Cycle with car tires and never once worried if I would make it home. It's called customizing, but like alcohol it' not for everyone.

Mount a camera to a minivan and you will get the same results as the posted videos. Could run my 69 vette so hard there were rubb marks 4 inches high on sidewalls and never burst a one.

BikerGuy

Postby BikerGuy » Mon Nov 01, 2010 4:35 pm

Thanks for the insights.... Sounds like you have a lot of experience under the belt...

My rear is 160/80-16. It's a 95 winger, bias ply tires. Do I need to stay with the same size tire in a car tire? Also, being the bike rim is designed for a bias ply, can I go with a radial car tire? What would you say is the best size tire for my bike, 1995 winger?

Thanks!

BikerGuy

Postby BikerGuy » Mon Nov 01, 2010 7:20 pm

I checked online at sites like Sears, Michelin, etc and no one has a 175/80 -16 tire for sale... Where do you get the tires locally?

Thanks!

robb wrote:Some 205/60-16, others 175/60-16, but 175/75-16 is correct for height and will keep the speedo correct. Not running one yet but will be as soon as new one is needed. Was told better ride and handling and after trying a friends bike I'm sold on the idea. Nearly 30k on rear tire and a solid winner in the rain.

robb

Postby robb » Mon Nov 01, 2010 7:33 pm

Wheels are wheels, all the same reguardless of radial or bias. Radial motorcycle tires have only been around for a few years now.

http://www.discounttiredirect.com/direc ... reMath.jsp
Go to this site and check tires. Put 160/80-16 on first line and 175/75-16 to right line and see how close they are.

http://www.tiresbyweb.com/tbw_tiresearc ... VREDESTEIN TIRES

BikerGuy

Postby BikerGuy » Mon Nov 01, 2010 7:45 pm

WOW! $153! That's not much less than a wing tire... I know I would get a lot more miles tho so would save money in the long run.

Where can I buy a tire locally instead of mail order?

Thanks!

nsjoe
Motorcycle: 2002 GL1800A

Postby nsjoe » Mon Nov 01, 2010 10:29 pm

Interesting discussion there men....

In reference to the insurance question, I spoke with my insurance company (Progressive) before I put my CT on. I was told that as long as it was DOT approved and made of rubber, they didn't care what tire I put on the bike. They did say that if I was to put on an oversized tire (like seriously oversized) that would change the value of the bike they would want to know that to insure the greater value of the bike. As long as the mounting unit (rim/frame) didn't change, no problem. Also, I understand that overseas the insurers may not feel the same way.
Joe
Darksider #493

robb

Postby robb » Mon Nov 01, 2010 11:16 pm

I'm afraid it's mail order unless you live close to them. The 175/75-16 is common overseas but not here and this may be the only place to buy it in USA.

vtxcandyred

Postby vtxcandyred » Tue Nov 02, 2010 6:51 am

jmerklin wrote:Sounds good to me, but if they're as hard to put on as you say, I would hate to think how much harder it would be to remove it to put a new tire on! :twisted:

vtxcandyred wrote:

I guess if you are mounting the tire yourself it would be a bit tougher, but I take mine in to be mounted and balanced so thats not a concern for me.

BikerGuy

Postby BikerGuy » Tue Nov 02, 2010 6:59 am

robb wrote:I'm afraid it's mail order unless you live close to them. The 175/75-16 is common overseas but not here and this may be the only place to buy it in USA.

Could I use a 205/60 - 16? Also, what air pressure would you use in these car tires? I assume you would need more than the customary 32 pounds?

vtxcandyred

Postby vtxcandyred » Tue Nov 02, 2010 7:10 am

jmerklin wrote:
robb wrote:I'm afraid it's mail order unless you live close to them. The 175/75-16 is common overseas but not here and this may be the only place to buy it in USA.

Could I use a 205/60 - 16? Also, what air pressure would you use in these car tires? I assume you would need more than the customary 32 pounds?

You can run the normal thirty two. I usually run thirty five.

BikerGuy

Postby BikerGuy » Tue Nov 02, 2010 7:27 am

OK. Thanks! What about running a 205/60 - 16 since the other size isn't readily available here (175/75 - 16)?

vtxcandyred wrote:
jmerklin wrote:

You can run the normal thirty two. I usually run thirty five.

vtxcandyred

Postby vtxcandyred » Tue Nov 02, 2010 8:03 am

As long as it fits, it will be fine. I run a 205 on my VTX and when the tire is done on the wing, I'll do the same.

Return to “GL1500 Information & Questions”