Factory CB Retrofit KISS

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
Sadanorakman
Motorcycle: 1991 GL1500 SE

Factory CB Retrofit KISS

Post by Sadanorakman » Thu Apr 12, 2018 4:41 am

Please excuse my naivety, I've searched the forums but didn't find what I was looking for.

Although I am from an electronic and mechanical engineering background, and teach field-service technicians for a living, In this instance I'm just looking for a very concise overview from you please, so I can scope out the potential project costs for retro-fitting a factory CB.

I'm still organising the shipping of my (new to me) 1991 SE from Tenerife back to my home in England. The bike was originally UK Spec so for example it has no top-box spoiler, and I believe the CB was an option on the SE until several years after mine was built? Not sure if that was also the case for UK spec bikes.

I see Honda factory CB Head-units crop up on ebay, of course mainly in the U.S. so I would have to import at extra cost.

What I want to know, is how much will already likely be inside my 91 SE as standard, therefore what else will I likely need to buy?:

-It looks like the panel where the head-unit would fit currently has a cigarette lighter. would that have been a factory option on an SE?
-The bike already has two aerials fitted, of which the left one seems to be coil-loaded half way along it's length. Can I assume this is the genuine CB Antenna, and would have been fitted at the factory, even though no head-unit was fitted?
-Will my bike's loom already support the factory CB?
-If so, will I need any specific short cable-sets e.g. to connect the head unit to the existing loom, or should these flying-cables already be in the fairing?
-Are there any other 'units' plugged in elsewhere in support of the head unit that I will need to obtain? (RF suppressors, remote RF amplifier, handlebar switches etc, boxes or short looms which integrate the audio into the stereo/intercomm etc...?

Many thanks in anticipation, Craig.

There are two types of people in this world, those that can extrapolate from incomplete data,

bellboy40
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500SE Candy Spectra Red
1994 GL1500SE Bermuda Green

Re: Factory CB Retrofit KISS

Post by bellboy40 » Thu Apr 12, 2018 7:35 am

Hi Craig, I have a CB installation manual in pdf format I can send you. It shows all the various pieces and parts necessary for the CB installation and how they fit together. If you will PM me your email address I can send you a link.
For some reason, attaching pdf files are not allowed on here... only pictures.
Larry

Sadanorakman

Post by Sadanorakman » Thu Apr 12, 2018 8:07 am

Thanks Larry... PM sent.
There are two types of people in this world, those that can extrapolate from incomplete data,

bellboy40

Post by bellboy40 » Thu Apr 12, 2018 8:42 am

Craig, I sent you the links. Good luck with your installation.
Larry

Sadanorakman

Post by Sadanorakman » Thu Apr 12, 2018 10:06 am

Thanks Larry. Have downloaded, read, and now need to start searching for second-hand parts!

chads920
Motorcycle: 93 1500A Gold Wing - Champion Trike
03 Yamaha RSV (sold)
89 Yamaha VR (sold)
90 Bunkhouse tent trailer (sold)
2016 Bunkhouse - Queen

Post by chads920 » Thu Apr 19, 2018 12:17 pm

Larry check out "Al's Garage " on e-bay I have had good results as he is reasonable and knowledgable. I also sourced out CB parts for my 93 1500A.
Sometimes your find yourself on a lonely open road, sometimes on a open road you find yourself.
BBM - PIN 24DF1560
Member of the Royal Canadian Legion Br. 227, Legion Rider Unit member

bellboy40

Post by bellboy40 » Thu Apr 19, 2018 3:03 pm

Good, I'm glad you found the CB parts. Good luck on your installation.

AZgl1800
Motorcycle: '02 GL1800

Post by AZgl1800 » Thu Apr 19, 2018 10:42 pm

From everything that I have read, the wiring harness on all 1500 and 1800 Goldwings includes all of the wiring and connectors.

so, all you need is the radio with the appropriate mating connectors on it to plug into the harness.

the proof of this was, that the handlebar grips contain the controls for the CB, but no CB radio is on the bike.

one of my older bikes was just that way.
~John

See you at NASR-11 July 10th, 11th, 12th 2018

http://www.northamericangoldwings.com/c ... 9-nasr-11/

Sadanorakman

Post by Sadanorakman » Thu Apr 19, 2018 11:30 pm

AZgl1800 wrote:
Thu Apr 19, 2018 10:42 pm
the proof of this was, that the handlebar grips contain the controls for the CB, but no CB radio is on the bike.

one of my older bikes was just that way.
Alas not!
My bike, a 1991SE in UK specification has never had a CB from new, as I know the bike"s history. It has the CB antenna (one would assume for purely aesthetic purposes), but NO handlebar grip CB switches. The stereo's handlebar switches will unscrew, then CB switches will sandwich in-between once I have obtained them! It's in the factory CB fitting guide that Larry kindly pointed me toward.

I'm guessing Honda left them off for the UK (the switches), because using a factory CB would have been illegal over here, therefore honda UK wouldn't have been allowed to sell them. American CB uses I believe AM (amplitude modulation) which would have been illegal to use in the UK. Our government insisted CB operate using FM (frequency modulation). AM sets and sideband only became legal in the last couple of years over here.

chads920
Motorcycle: 93 1500A Gold Wing - Champion Trike
03 Yamaha RSV (sold)
89 Yamaha VR (sold)
90 Bunkhouse tent trailer (sold)
2016 Bunkhouse - Queen

Post by chads920 » Sat Apr 21, 2018 1:29 pm

I went through the 'well what the..' stage(s) as I purchased first the radio then the harness then the left handle bar controls, then there are the various noise suppression modules and purchase and tune the antenna. The shipping cost mounts up if you can't find a one shop deal. So be diligent I suggested Al's Garage on E Bay he resides in Quebec Canada and is very good and knowledgable to boot.

Sometimes your find yourself on a lonely open road, sometimes on a open road you find yourself.
BBM - PIN 24DF1560
Member of the Royal Canadian Legion Br. 227, Legion Rider Unit member