Battery or Alternator????

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
Knucklehead
Motorcycle: 1991 GL1500 A

Battery or Alternator????

Post by Knucklehead » Wed May 16, 2018 10:35 pm

Soooo my 91 Aspencade has needed to be jumped after turning off. For awhile it would start up kinda rev normal and then low and back and low again, then would start right up but now won’t start and needs a jump but will run after sitting for awhile and no issues but again once I turn it off needs to be jumped. Was thinking new battery but maybe alternator. Any suggestions

Bluewaterhooker0
Motorcycle: 1997 Goldwing GL 1500 SE

Re: Battery or Alternator????

Post by Bluewaterhooker0 » Wed May 16, 2018 11:16 pm

It could be either one. If you're saying you can jump start the bike, and then drive for an unlimited period of time, it would sound more like a battery issue. If your alternator were dead, the bike would not run for long after the jump start. You would get stranded in short order.
However, the alternator could be working, but weak enough that it can only maintain the bike operation without enough extra power to actually charge the battery. Seems to me, that would be an unusual circumstance.
You could do a quick test of your own, if you have a VOM, volt meter. Get the bike started, and attach the meter directly to the battery. You should see something in the range of 13.5-14 volts, ideally at idle, or at least when revved to 2000 RPMs. That would be a good indication that your alternator is working properly. You might also check all the cables from the alternator to the battery, to assure the charge is making its way to the battery. Also check the battery ground and terminal connections.
If all seems good on the voltage end, I would suspect the battery. If you have an AGM battery, buy another. If you have a refillable wet cell battery, check the fluid level in the battery. Either way, an AGM battery is the best way to go for good starts and battery longevity.