1998 WING - CANNOT HEAR THE FUEL PUMP WORKING WHEN THE KEY IS TURNED ON ??

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
wingdings
Motorcycle: Honda Goldwing gl 1989

1998 WING - CANNOT HEAR THE FUEL PUMP WORKING WHEN THE KEY IS TURNED ON ??

Post by wingdings » Sun May 20, 2018 2:41 am

Hi - Folks I just being doing some work on my friends 1998 SE European gold wing - I own a 1989 k wing US import - when I turn the key on I can clearly hear the fuel pump cycle before I press the start button, yet on my friends 1998 wing you don't hear a thing !! and the bike starts up as normal and runs fine too !! ..

The question I am asking hear folks is did Honda - cut out the cycling bit on the 98 model because you sure as hell cannot hear the pump cycling when the key is turned !! .. in fact you cannot hear the pump at all !! :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: but the bike still runs as normal :? :? :? :?

All help on this most welcome - Please !! - its the riding season !!! - We all know were we rather be - Yes ??.. :D :D :D :D

Erdeniz Umman
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500SE

Re: 1998 WING - CANNOT HEAR THE FUEL PUMP WORKING WHEN THE KEY IS TURNED ON ??

Post by Erdeniz Umman » Sun May 20, 2018 3:14 am

Yes, although the statement in the service manual has not been changed its operation has been changed after 90 models as the ECU controls the fuel pump.
I think it was a function of the fuel pump relay (88-89) to cycle the fuel pump a few seconds when the ignition key is on.

So it will not cycle on later models when the ignition key is on, but will cycle when the start button is hit.

wingdings
Motorcycle: Honda Goldwing gl 1989

Re: 1998 WING - CANNOT HEAR THE FUEL PUMP WORKING WHEN THE KEY IS TURNED ON ??

Post by wingdings » Mon May 21, 2018 1:14 am

Thank you so much for that - Erdeniz - I thought I was going mad or something !! - lol - :D :D :D :D :D :D