TIME TO POKE THE BEAR -Carb Cleaners and Fuel Additives: What Works?

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
wingdings
Motorcycle: Honda Goldwing gl 1989

TIME TO POKE THE BEAR -Carb Cleaners and Fuel Additives: What Works?

Post by wingdings » Sun May 27, 2018 4:01 am

Hi - Folks - just saw this - so passing it on

Carb Cleaners and Fuel Additives: What Works?

one or two fellow wingers on here are having trouble with there carbs after rebuilding them - could it be we are doing more harm than good by using these products ??? some seem to be more harsh than others yes ??? .

What experience have you had of using these products ?? Have they done your wing any harm ???

thompsoj22
Motorcycle: 1986 Honda Goldwing GL1200I {SOLD} 1996 honda goldwing SE

Re: TIME TO POKE THE BEAR -Carb Cleaners and Fuel Additives: What Works?

Post by thompsoj22 » Sun May 27, 2018 8:14 am

gasoline on it's own is an extremely effective solvent, it has been my experience that any type of foreign matter that can accumulate in a wet fuel environment can withstand any type of "marketing magic" you can throw at it. And this includes the ridiculous "sea foam" which is the latest scam for everyone wanting to perform a snake oil cure for a mechanical problem. You have to use brush,ultrasonic,air pressure to effectively clean carbs! There the bear is now awake and he is pissed cause he spent money and has been ripped off!

NOVAwing
Motorcycle: 1993 GL1500

Post by NOVAwing » Sun May 27, 2018 9:32 am

As a recent former automotive repair professional for over 10 years I can say these products absolutely do work.

How much they can do is subjective. Nothing beats a manual cleaning for sure.

However, for meduim issues these work and well.
Products I endorse whole heartedly are:

Lucas products especially there oil stabilizer, its incredilbe.
Seafoam. It has already made my bikes carbs come back after 1 can. No longer over flowing, bike starts with 1 run on the starter now, as opposed to 10 mins and many tries when I first got my hands on it from sitting 4 years in a back yard with half a tank of rotten fuel in it.
Berrymans B12, after reseaching this stuff, it is clearly the strongest cleaner and I will be switching to it this week. Long proven history of results.

Will these products fix exteme issues? Not really.
However, sometimes it takes several tanks and treatments over time to see results.

Will they fix physical damage issues? Of course not. A leaking hose, seal, or o-ring must be replaced.

At the end if the day, these products work, and do a great job compared to expensive rebuilds to clean internal sludge.

Thanks,
NOVAwing

Mh434
Motorcycle: 1997 gl1500 SE
Previous:
1981 GL1100I
1989 Kawasaki Concours

Post by Mh434 » Sun May 27, 2018 10:50 am

Personally, I've been working on motorcycles (and virtually every other type of motorized vehicle) since the 1970's, including everything from minor tune ups to ground-up rebuilds.

While there are doubtless "snake oil" products out there, SeaFoam is certainly not one of them. I have used it, very successfully, in many different engines. Case in point - a couple of years ago, I got some seriously bad fuel from a local gas station in my GL1500. It started to run poorly, almost immediately, and continued to degrade.

I was not in a position to tear the bike apart to clean the carbs, as I was using it for daily commuting (working 14 hour days at the time) so I used SeaFoam. It did a wonderful job, returning the engine to its normal, smooth, flawless running, without requiring a carb teardown/rebuild.

Since using SeaFoam on that occasion, the bike has continued to run flawlessly without requiring its use again.

As far as "...the latest scam for everyone wanting to perform a snake oil cure for a mechanical problem" is concerned, it should be noted that SeaFoam has been around since the 1930's, and thousands of professional mechanics have sworn by its use for some 80+ years. Hardly a recent "snake oil" product...

curtm
Motorcycle: 91 GL 1500 SE

Post by curtm » Sun May 27, 2018 10:53 am

Well here goes, I admit i do use the the odd can of sea foam, it sure makes me feel good when i do use it
Curt

offcenter
Motorcycle: 99 Gl-1500 SE
76 GL-1000
77 Honda Trail 90

Post by offcenter » Sun May 27, 2018 11:26 am

When I got my 1500, it had been sitting untouched with fuel in it for about two years.
It started, and it ran, but not very well. Wouldn't idle worth a darn.
Over the next few hundred miles, I ran a couple of cans of Seafoam through it.
Slowly but surely, the problems disappeared without touching the engine.

I don't know how well it would have worked if it had been sitting for very much longer,
but in my case, that stuff worked.
George in Jersey.
99 Goldwing GL-1500 SE
76 Goldwing Gl-1000
77 Honda CT-90 "Trail 90"

AZgl1800
Motorcycle: '02 GL1800

Post by AZgl1800 » Sun May 27, 2018 1:47 pm

offcenter wrote:
Sun May 27, 2018 11:26 am
When I got my 1500, it had been sitting untouched with fuel in it for about two years.
It started, and it ran, but not very well. Wouldn't idle worth a darn.
Over the next few hundred miles, I ran a couple of cans of Seafoam through it.
Slowly but surely, the problems disappeared without touching the engine.

I don't know how well it would have worked if it had been sitting for very much longer,
but in my case, that stuff worked.
Sea Foam is far from Snake Oil, and is well proven since it's indoctrination.

As the quote above states, I too bought a '94SE that had been sitting for years in Glendale, AridZona where the gas left horrible varnishes inside the carbs. as the bike was my only transportation to work/back, I had to ride it out.

When I first bought it, at idle it would surge from 600 to 3500 rpm.... found several vacuum leaks.
had terrible rough idle issues and poor throttle response at most all RPMs....

the only thing I did to that bike for the carbs, was Sea Foam. It took several months, but it gradually just kept getting better until it was finally running like a well oiled sewing machine.

B12 is also a very good agent to dissolve difficult varnishes, have used it on several old cars just before taking them to get an Emissions check, worked every time.
See you at NASR-11 July 10th, 11th, 12th 2018

https://goo.gl/maps/2zH93W9YW372

515 E Eads Pkwy, Greendale, IN 47025
812-537-4441

http://www.northamericangoldwings.com/c ... 9-nasr-11/

FM-USA
Motorcycle: mc

Post by FM-USA » Tue May 29, 2018 8:46 pm

Past 5-ish years I've been testing carb cleaners and home brewing "fuel moon-shine".
I've found in the past 2-3 years brand names have been changing their formulas from Toluene to Acetone. Acetone is harsh in fuel systems so READ the labels ingredients listing. If none listed, the first in the list is most %.
In the last roughly 6 years, all the carb cleaners are CAT safe. Pot-Luck before that.

Berryman's B-12 is harsh on fuel systems. Try to use it up asap.

Pyroil changed to Acetone also but I have a case of original carb-cleaner and protecting it like LATINUM. ;)
Pyroil fuel injector cleaner works really well also. Insert 2-4 oz in your tank & steady expressway ride. You might feel it KICK IN around the 3 mile mark.

GUMOUT is the budget cleaner, works about 1/4 as 2 previous listed.

I'm still testing/toying Lucas products, so far that little bottle works wonders. It's on the thick side, you might want to premix it with some fuel or pour it in as your fueling up.

Many others but not wasting time on those.
I just saved you a few years of testing. ENJOY.

"Tact is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip." W.C.

DaveO430
Motorcycle: 2010 GL1800
2004 Suzuki DR200

Post by DaveO430 » Tue May 29, 2018 9:02 pm

FM-USA wrote:
Tue May 29, 2018 8:46 pm

GUMOUT is the budget cleaner, works about 1/4 as 2 previous listed.

Gumout is nothing more than lacquer thinner, which is useful when manually cleaning carb parts. I buy lacquer thinner in gallons and put it in a pressure can, much cheaper that way.

FM-USA
Motorcycle: mc

Post by FM-USA » Tue May 29, 2018 9:11 pm

GUMOUT, Lacquer Thinner?
Wow, now I know to keep it WAY-WAY away from some of my lacquer painted items.

BIG THANKS! . . REALLY!
"Tact is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip." W.C.

hugger-4641
Motorcycle: 1994 GL1500 Aspencade, 1982 CM 200 Twinstar, 1984 VT500 Ascot

Post by hugger-4641 » Fri Jun 01, 2018 10:26 am

For over 10 years I've been using Sea Foam, Lucas, or Stabil to treat fuel in my boat when I store it for the winter and I can tell you that they definitely help. My boat is 1992 Baja with 4.3 Mercruiser (Chevy V6) and 40 gallon tank. I've owned it since 2000. I started having idle and starting issues around 2005, Sea Foam made those clear up and I've been using it every since. My Wing doesn't sit long enough to have these issues, but i still run some Sea Foam or Lucas thru it at least once during the year.