Rich running smell

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
bigguy_362001
Motorcycle: 1996 GL 1500 Aspencade

Rich running smell

Postby bigguy_362001 » Wed Nov 10, 2010 2:31 pm

When I run my bike in the garage i get this smell that kind of burns the sinuses. I think it is like it is running rich. But it passed emmisions no problem. and even when stopped a a light I can smell it if the is no breeze. can someone tell me what the problem is? and what kind of fuel do you all use in your bikr the guy I bought it from said regular but the owners manuel says 91 octane.

Joe

ekcyclerepair
Motorcycle: Various

Re: Rich running smell

Postby ekcyclerepair » Sat Nov 13, 2010 12:57 pm

I would start by smelling the exhaust coming from each muffler. Does one side seem to smoke more or have a richer smell? You can also check the spark plugs. Keep track of which plug came fom which cylinder. What color are the plugs? A rich condition will produce a darker/black plug. Are all 6 plugs the same color? Are the right side plugs a different color than the left side plugs?

There are several things that could cause a rich condition. Dirty air filter, Bad ignition/plug not firing properly, Sticking choke, Bad needl/seat, etc.. Spark plug color might point you in the right direction. For instance, if the right plugs are all black and the left plugs are white, then more than likely trouble with the right carburetor. Also, do you run a fuel additive? Maybe it's not running rich but just an additive causing the smell.

As far as octane, it all depends on if you get "spark knock" (detonation) with the lower octane fuel. I use 87 octane with no problems but your riding style and conditions might be different. Spark knock is when the fuel ignites too soon and causes a rattle/clattering noise in the engine. This can definitely destroy the engine!!
Spark knock would be especially noticeable on a hot day, with a fully loaded bike, going uphill, under hard accelaration. If you hear a slight rattle or clattering noise coming from the engine then you would want to use a higher octane fuel. If you're not sure, just play it safe and use the 91 octane. Not worth the risk of trashing the engine.

just my 2 cents
Ernie

bigguy_362001
Motorcycle: 1996 GL 1500 Aspencade

Re: Rich running smell

Postby bigguy_362001 » Sat Nov 13, 2010 6:33 pm

Thanks Ernie I was going to check the plugs next to see if there is any sign of a bad plug but the bike is running really strong. I just bought it about 6 weeks ago so I want to change the timing belts and put in new plugs. I did recharge the Air filter, it is a K & N it passed our emissions test here in Phoenix. But this smell well likie it burns your nostril's.

Thanks again

Joe

Return to “GL1500 Information & Questions”