Solved - Install GL1800 Air Wings on a GL1500 ?

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
thornev
Motorcycle: 1993 GL1500SE

Solved - Install GL1800 Air Wings on a GL1500 ?

Postby thornev » Tue Nov 16, 2010 12:51 pm

Hi All. Has anyone installed on a GL1500 SE Baker Air Wings made for a GL1800? I know the brackets and attachment points on the wings are completely different configurations. I've called Baker and asked for their advice too (didn't get much, but they were very nice). I have the installation instructions for both 1500 and 1800 sets. I'm sure it can be done with some drilling. What concerns me most is if there is metal frame behind the GL1500 fairing plastic where the GL1800 Air Wings brackets would be mounted so that screws will have something on which to be secured.

Alternately, would anyone want to trade my blue GL1800 upper and lower Air Wings, and Hand Wings for a GL1500 set? Long shot, I know. thorne

UPDATE - I went ahead and did the install. There is no metal frame under the trim to which to attach the brackets, but the trim is fairly rigid where it curves downward. I used 10x32x3/4" screws with washers and nuts. It's not a pretty install and I had to drill holes through the fairing plastic (but you don't see the holes unless you look underneath). I will decide after a few rides if the cross braces need to be attached because the way I have the wings installed, the cross braces would cover the upper vents making adjusting the upper vent louvers difficult.

Return to “GL1500 Information & Questions”