Reinstalling all the painted plastic- fairing- luggage etc

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
Motorcycle: 1991 GL1500 Interstate

Reinstalling all the painted plastic- fairing- luggage etc

Postby Dreamcatcher » Tue Nov 16, 2010 2:06 pm

Hello Everyone,
I hope I'm posting in the right place. This is my first time on this site as I just purchased a '91 Goldwing 1500 Interstate last night. I hope I didn't bite off more than I can chew. The owner passed away shortly after taking off ALL the painted plastic outer shell. He planned on painting it a different color (now gold) but had a massive heart attack before starting paint. I picked up a rolling chassis with motor intack (runs great) and 6 boxes of plastic. There are wires hanging all over the place. That's not too scary because I should be able to marry matching connectors. I don't have a clue where to start reassembling, top, bottom, front, or back. I work on my Harleys all the time but it's big difference when you take it appart yourself. Are there any books or better yet any videos that I can access for HELP! Any guidance will be greatly appreciated.
PS: Is there a better place to post my plea for help?

Motorcycle: 2012 Goldwing Airbag

Re: Reinstalling all the painted plastic- fairing- luggage e

Postby Len » Tue Nov 16, 2010 7:55 pm

I don't think you'll have any problems. First, I would suggest you get a shop manual and access to the online GL1500 parts diagrams. The various fasteners can be confusing, but the parts descriptions will help. The manual shows all the wiring and the proper routing, which is important with the audio circuits. Good Luck!

Motorcycle: 1976 gl1000
1993 gl1500
2004 NRX1800 Rune

Postby dingdong » Wed Nov 17, 2010 9:16 am

Good suggestion above. You will absolutely have to have a manual to do this properly and in the correct sequence.

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

djl michigan
Motorcycle: 1988 goldwing

Postby djl michigan » Wed Nov 17, 2010 3:59 pm

I agree on getting a Honda service manual. I recently bought a crashed 88 1500 (deer strike) and have got everything located to start putting it back together. The fairing was badly damaged so I have the bike stripped down to a bare bike. I would recommend starting with the fairing. All the rest of the front end plastic hangs off it.

When you get it all back together, you will be very familiar with the bike should you ever have to fix it on the road.

If you get stuck on something, send me a picture or description of what you have and I should be able to help you.

Good luck!

Motorcycle: 1984 GL1200I
1993 GL1500A

Postby groutby » Sat Nov 27, 2010 3:25 am

Hi Dreamcatcher, after having done a GL1200 from top to base and now on a similar project to yours on a GL1500A, ('xept for the previous owner is fortunate not to have had a heart attack!) you will see there are part numbers stamped on the underside of many, if not all, of the panels, and, with the help of a parts manual download from this site, will be able to locate and cross reference them using the search method with the part number,to point if installation,
Hope this helps,

Motorcycle: 1994 honda goldwing se

Postby pdg » Sun Nov 28, 2010 1:02 am

Hi Dreamcatcher,
It is a fairly straight forward task. The only thing the books don't mention, is put a little grease on the o-ring on the side covers that makes them go on easy, and less likely to break off when removing the covers. Good Luck

Return to “GL1500 Information & Questions”