Progressive Suspension

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
cbx4evr
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500SE
2004 Kawasaki KLR 650
Solex 5000
1980 Honda CBX - sold :-(
1981 Honda CBX - sold :-(

Progressive Suspension

Postby cbx4evr » Wed Feb 02, 2011 2:10 pm

Thinking of upgrading to Progressive fork springs. Just wondering what I would be up against to do that myself.

Any special tools required to remove the fork caps safely and then to get them back on working against the spring. Can the springs be changed with the forks in the bike?

Thanks

"It´s a friggen motorcycle, it´s not supposed to be comfortable, quiet or safe. The wind noise is supposed to hurt your ears, the seat should be hard and riding it should make you s**t your pants every now and then. "

tmilam
Motorcycle: 1989, GL1500

Re: Progressive Suspension

Postby tmilam » Wed Feb 02, 2011 6:11 pm

17mm allen head socket, speed wrench and a torque wrench. Find some way to take the weight off the front of the bike with it on the center stand. Front tire does not have to be off the ground, but no weight on the forks. Carefully remove the caps and old springs. Take care not to drip oil on the bike. Measure the fork oil per the instructions. Slide new springs in. Using the speed wrench and allen socket to reinstall caps. The way I did that is to stand on the pegs and apply pressure down on the speed wrench and slowly start the threads taking care not to cross-thread the caps. Torque to specs. Have done both my 1500's in the garage.

Return to “GL1500 Information & Questions”