using motorcycle jack

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
bestran
Motorcycle: 1992 gl 1500 i

using motorcycle jack

Postby bestran » Wed Sep 09, 2009 1:10 pm

i just bought a motorcycle jack . is it ok to support engine on jack while lifting

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: using motorcycle jack

Postby WingAdmin » Fri Sep 11, 2009 11:08 am

I can't answer definitively for the 1500, as I don't have one. I can tell you that in the 1100, I have lifted the bike by the engine block many times with no problem.

Ralph Zimmerman
Motorcycle: 88 Gl1500
03 Vtx 1800r
04 VT 750 Areo

Postby Ralph Zimmerman » Fri Sep 11, 2009 8:55 pm

If you purchased a regular MC jack with 2 arms on it. I use mine all the time to wash and polish the rims it is very stable.

Be Safe

TSK
Motorcycle: 1999 GL1500SE

Postby TSK » Fri Jan 22, 2010 3:47 pm

I have a '99 1500SE and a motorcycle jack, the type with the rectangular wheel frame, and the two lifting arms. Like this: http://tinyurl.com/oy9uo. I tie it down with four nylon ratcheting hook straps.

I put the bike on the side stand and roll the jack in from the right side, aligning the rear lift pad so that the pivot shaft of the center stand just sits on the pad - no farther back than that. Slide the jack in and out until the center of the center stand lines up with the center of the pad. The front lift pad will rest under the engine block.

Hold the front brake on and stabilize the bike while stepping on the jack pedal. As the pads make contact the bike will start to tip to the right and settle itself on the lift pads. It feels like it's falling over but just keep gradually lifting the jack.

As the bike just leaves the ground, check the fore-aft balance and determine if it feels like it is balanced. If not, lower it back down to the side stand and reposition the jack. You really only go though this the first time, then you know how your bike balances on the jack.

Once you get the bike heading up in the air, thread two straps through the rear frame guards and back to the tie-down hooks on the jack, so the strap goes from the jack hook, up around the frame guard, and back to the jack. For the front, slide the hooks either through the middle of the lower arm of the engine guards, or up around the top of the guard, and back to the jack like with the rear straps. Leaves the straps slack for the moment.

Finish jacking the bike all the way up until the safety arm on the jack will lower down and engage the highest stop bar. Once the bar is past that point, very carefully lower the jack back down until the safety arm engages the stops. Tighten the valve again on the jack. Now it's time to tighten the straps. work around the bike, first taking out he slack, then putting some tension on them, then cinch them up snug. You don't have to really reef on them, just get the bike secured to the jack.

Once the straps are tight, you'll find the bike is very stable, and you can drag the bike around the garage by pulling the T-bar on the jack. You can even store it for the winter like this, and be able to position it against the garage wall easier than trying to push it around on the wheels.

To let the bike back down, slack the straps, lift the jack enough to release the safety arm, then slowly release the valve on the jack. Make sure the side stand is still out in the extended position, and hold the wheel forward with the front brake on, and just let it slowly lower down and settle to the left on the side stand.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Fri Jan 22, 2010 4:14 pm

I bought that exact jack that your link pointed to:

I haven't yet used it however, because I haven't yet started my winter maintenance. I'll take some pictures of it once I give it a try. In the meantime, it's been living in our dining room, along with some other spare motorcycle parts. My wife is ready to kill me. :)

Return to “GL1500 Information & Questions”