adjusting the rear breaks?

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
Motorcycle: 1997 Goldwing Aspencade

adjusting the rear breaks?

Postby rlsapp » Sun Mar 13, 2011 9:43 pm

need some input on how to adjust the rear breaks on my 1997 Honda Aspencade. The rear break pedal has gotten a little slack in pressing the pedal before it begins to slow the bike, (my toes are beginning to point towards the pavement). What adjustments are needed to tighten the drop in the pedal?

Motorcycle: 1976 gl1000
1993 gl1500
2004 NRX1800 Rune

Re: adjusting the rear breaks?

Postby dingdong » Mon Mar 14, 2011 8:49 am

Not an adjustment problem. You possibly are low on fluid, have air in the system and need to bleed them or the pads are worn which will cause the fluid to be low. First check the fluid level, if it is low then top it up and test. If not low then you will have to bleed them to replace the old fluid with fresh. If you haven't ever serviced your brakes, rear or front, I would do both.

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Motorcycle: 1993 Honda Goldwing SE

Re: adjusting the rear breaks?

Postby vtxcandyred » Tue Mar 15, 2011 7:38 am

Unless theres a leak the only reason the fluid will be low is because the pads have worn down. Check the level and if its low check the pads for wear. I have found if the level is down enough to add fluid then the pads USUALLY need replaced. Its not ALWAYS the case but for me it is. Two pennies.

Return to “GL1500 Information & Questions”