gas shutoff value on 1999 Goldwing Se


Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
tbear
Posts: 10
Joined: Sun Jan 02, 2011 12:14 pm
Location: carleton,michigan
Motorcycle: 1999 honda goldwing se

gas shutoff value on 1999 Goldwing Se

Postby tbear » Fri Apr 01, 2011 4:53 pm



Is the shutoff value for the gasoline, the knob that also adjusts the idle on my machine? (inside the gas lid?)
I can't remember where it is....



User avatar
cbx4evr
Posts: 1397
Joined: Tue Mar 09, 2010 8:35 pm
Location: Edmonton, AB Canada
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500SE
2004 Kawasaki KLR 650
Solex 5000
1980 Honda CBX - sold :-(
1981 Honda CBX - sold :-(
Contact:

Re: gas shutoff value on 1999 Goldwing Se

Postby cbx4evr » Fri Apr 01, 2011 8:24 pm

Nope, that adjusts idle only.

If the 99 is like my 2000 there is no fuel petcock.
"It´s a friggen motorcycle, it´s not supposed to be comfortable, quiet or safe. The wind noise is supposed to hurt your ears, the seat should be hard and riding it should make you s**t your pants every now and then. "

actionpack
Posts: 359
Joined: Wed Apr 07, 2010 10:29 pm
Location: hale , mi.
Motorcycle: 1985 gl1200a

Re: gas shutoff value on 1999 Goldwing Se

Postby actionpack » Fri Apr 01, 2011 9:14 pm

cbx4evr wrote:Nope, that adjusts idle only.

If the 99 is like my 2000 there is no fuel petcock.

whats this , no need to ever shut the fuel off or they have a diff setup to shut it off
Image

User avatar
MikeB
Posts: 1228
Joined: Fri Dec 04, 2009 12:54 pm
Location: Tacoma, WA
Motorcycle: 1998 - GL1500 Aspencade.
2003 - GL1800A

Re: gas shutoff value on 1999 Goldwing Se

Postby MikeB » Sat Apr 02, 2011 1:45 am

There is no manual fuel shut off. There is a vacuum operated valve under the fuel door just forward of the fuel cap. That is how the fuel is shut off to the carbs. No vacuum.. no fuel delivery to the carbs. And of course to get fuel delivery, the fuel tank internal pump needs to be operating too.
MikeB
Tacoma, WA, USA

actionpack
Posts: 359
Joined: Wed Apr 07, 2010 10:29 pm
Location: hale , mi.
Motorcycle: 1985 gl1200a

Re: gas shutoff value on 1999 Goldwing Se

Postby actionpack » Sat Apr 02, 2011 6:34 am

thanks for the reply mike , my 06 vtx had a shut off on it , but it also had a vac operated system for the flow of fuel ,
Image

tbear
Posts: 10
Joined: Sun Jan 02, 2011 12:14 pm
Location: carleton,michigan
Motorcycle: 1999 honda goldwing se

Re: gas shutoff value on 1999 Goldwing Se

Postby tbear » Sat Apr 02, 2011 7:59 am

MIKE B:

THANKS FOR THE REPLY ABOUT THE VALVE INFRONT OF THE GAS CAP.
NOW I CAN PROPERLY CHANGE THE FUEL FILTER AND DRAIN THE CARBS
BEFORE STORING FOR THE WINTER MONTHS HERE IN MICHIGAN..
ITS AMAZING WHAT YOU FORGET WHEN YOU HAVEN'T DONE IT IN
AFEW YEARS.

TBEAR

User avatar
vtxcandyred
Posts: 517
Joined: Thu Dec 31, 2009 5:08 pm
Location: Oregon, Ohio
Motorcycle: 1993 Honda Goldwing SE

Re: gas shutoff value on 1999 Goldwing Se

Postby vtxcandyred » Wed Apr 06, 2011 5:39 pm

actionpack wrote:thanks for the reply mike , my 06 vtx had a shut off on it , but it also had a vac operated system for the flow of fuel ,

I have an 02 VTX and it does NOT have a fuel shut off. If it is fuel injected or has an electric fuel pump it will ot have a shut off. They did'nt want it starving for fuel and burning up the fuel pump.

actionpack
Posts: 359
Joined: Wed Apr 07, 2010 10:29 pm
Location: hale , mi.
Motorcycle: 1985 gl1200a

Re: gas shutoff value on 1999 Goldwing Se

Postby actionpack » Wed Apr 06, 2011 7:47 pm

vtxcandyred wrote:
actionpack wrote:thanks for the reply mike , my 06 vtx had a shut off on it , but it also had a vac operated system for the flow of fuel ,

I have an 02 VTX and it does NOT have a fuel shut off. If it is fuel injected or has an electric fuel pump it will ot have a shut off. They did'nt want it starving for fuel and burning up the fuel pump.

mine was a 06 vtx 1300 r , it had carbs and a shut off , you must have had the 1800
Image

User avatar
vtxcandyred
Posts: 517
Joined: Thu Dec 31, 2009 5:08 pm
Location: Oregon, Ohio
Motorcycle: 1993 Honda Goldwing SE

Re: gas shutoff value on 1999 Goldwing Se

Postby vtxcandyred » Thu Apr 07, 2011 7:52 pm

actionpack wrote:
vtxcandyred wrote:
actionpack wrote:thanks for the reply mike , my 06 vtx had a shut off on it , but it also had a vac operated system for the flow of fuel ,

I have an 02 VTX and it does NOT have a fuel shut off. If it is fuel injected or has an electric fuel pump it will ot have a shut off. They did'nt want it starving for fuel and burning up the fuel pump.

mine was a 06 vtx 1300 r , it had carbs and a shut off , you must have had the 1800

Yeah. In 02 it's the only one made.

actionpack
Posts: 359
Joined: Wed Apr 07, 2010 10:29 pm
Location: hale , mi.
Motorcycle: 1985 gl1200a

Re: gas shutoff value on 1999 Goldwing Se

Postby actionpack » Thu Apr 07, 2011 8:17 pm

I have an 02 VTX and it does NOT have a fuel shut off. If it is fuel injected or has an electric fuel pump it will ot have a shut off. They did'nt want it starving for fuel and burning up the fuel pump. [/quote]
mine was a 06 vtx 1300 r , it had carbs and a shut off , you must have had the 1800[/quote]
Yeah. In 02 it's the only one made. [/quote]
i learn something new everyday , what was hondas next step dowm on the cc back in 02
Image

User avatar
vtxcandyred
Posts: 517
Joined: Thu Dec 31, 2009 5:08 pm
Location: Oregon, Ohio
Motorcycle: 1993 Honda Goldwing SE

Re: gas shutoff value on 1999 Goldwing Se

Postby vtxcandyred » Thu Apr 07, 2011 8:21 pm

actionpack wrote:I have an 02 VTX and it does NOT have a fuel shut off. If it is fuel injected or has an electric fuel pump it will ot have a shut off. They did'nt want it starving for fuel and burning up the fuel pump.

mine was a 06 vtx 1300 r , it had carbs and a shut off , you must have had the 1800[/quote]
Yeah. In 02 it's the only one made. [/quote]
i learn something new everyday , what was hondas next step dowm on the cc back in 02[/quote]
I don't know about "step down" but the 1800 was the biggest. In 04 I believe was the VTX 1300. A whole different scooter.




Return to “GL1500 Information & Questions”




Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest