1989 Cruise Control

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
DaveClifton
Motorcycle: 1989 GL1500

1989 Cruise Control

Postby DaveClifton » Mon Apr 04, 2011 6:21 pm

I'm new here so this may have been run to the ground before. if so sorry.

I have an 1989 GL1500 that want hold speed when the cruise control is set. I assume it's a vacuum leak but don't know where to start looking. When above 50 MPH, I press the Cruise button and the Cruise ON light lights.. I press the Set button and the Set light lights. Actuating any of the switches that would drop the cruise does as they should. All indications are that it should be working. Anyone with ideas?

dingdong
Motorcycle: 1976 gl1000
1993 gl1500
2004 NRX1800 Rune

Re: 1989 Cruise Control

Postby dingdong » Tue Apr 05, 2011 9:53 am

Welcome to the forum!
Testing the vacuum system of the cruise control unit.
First take off the left side inner fairing "false tank" to gain access to the solenoid valve assembly, This is easily located and looks like a black steel box with a vent, vacuum lines and cable coming out of it, disconnect the vacuum line that goes down to the actuator body, start the engine, and suck on the open end of the line very gently (or you may rupture the diaphragm) once you start to suck the engine revs should increase, if this occurs, without losing the vacuum in your mouth, put your tongue over the end of the line. This should maintain the vacuum and stabilize the engine rev's. If it does your valve assembly is okay. If the revs drop then the diaphragm in the valve is leaking or a vacuum line is leaking.

Good Luck!

PS. If you don't have a manual for the 1500 go to the site below and download a copy.

http://hondatech.info/downloads/Moto/GL/GL1500/
Tom

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Return to “GL1500 Information & Questions”