1988 CB radio stuck on channel 1

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
wgb135
Motorcycle: 1989 gl1500

1988 CB radio stuck on channel 1

Postby wgb135 » Tue Apr 05, 2011 10:30 pm

I cannot seem to change the channel on the CB from the handle grip selector, the radio seems to be working but only channel 1, no channel change?

MikeB
Motorcycle: 1998 - GL1500 Aspencade.
2003 - GL1800A

Re: 1988 CB radio stuck on channel 1

Postby MikeB » Thu Apr 07, 2011 12:40 am

I think you will only need to clean the channel selector switch to get it to change channels. If you suspect it is dirty, which is most likely the case, proceed as follows.

Use some spray contact cleaner from a electronic supply store or Radio Shack. Follow the spray cleaner with a spray contact lubricant.

Before you spray the cleaner into the switch, cover your painted plastic surfaces with a large cloth to keep the spray off of the painted surfaces. I don't know if spray cleaner you use will harm things but it is better to be safe than sorry.

With the ignition key in the OFF position, spray the cleaner into the cracks of the channel selector switch liberally while actuating the switch lever up and down. The liquid should penetrate the switch assembly and flow out of it onto your cloth that you have draped over the bike. Operate the switch several times. Now spray the lubricant into the switch housing the same way. Wipe the switch housing and handlebar with an absorbent cloth but leave the drop cloth on the bike in case the fluid has not all drained out of the switch assembly. Operate the switch several more time. After all of that, it should work as it is supposed to. Test it.
MikeB
Tacoma, WA, USA

Return to “GL1500 Information & Questions”