GL1500 A, Cruise control

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
Motorcycle: 1992 GL1500A Aspencade

GL1500 A, Cruise control

Postby mlovelace » Wed Apr 06, 2011 4:05 pm

I have a 1999 GL1500 Apencade and the cruise set button is not setting the speed. Earlier in the season, it did set the cruise, but it just stopped working. The on/off switch works and the indicator show it is on. Not sure what to do. Is there a way to get to the contacts of the switch to clean, seems a little slugish when I push it. I have the same problem sometimes with the radio selector on the handle bar, I have to work it a few times before it make a go.
Any help would be great.

Motorcycle: 1985 gl1200a

Re: GL1500 A, Cruise control

Postby dan1951 » Wed Apr 06, 2011 9:35 pm

Hi, I owned a 95 gl that had the same problem, I know there could be other related things to cause this but mine was the secondary brake switch for the cruise operated by the rear brake pedal it is a normally closed switch, If it sticks open the cruise will do the same thing. It,s located in a dirt prone area. I gave up the shop manual with the bike or I could give You the color codes of the two wires. If You have one and get the the colors of these You can temporary jumper them out with a short piece of wire above the brake pedal under the rt. side cover. at the junction block, If the system works after that You know that the switch is stuck open, Just remember the system will not!!! disengage with the rear brake applied with the jumper wire in place. I cleaned the switch with wd-40 and worked it a few times and it worked fine after that, Just remember the jumper wire is just a test not a fix. Well good luck to Ya.

Return to “GL1500 Information & Questions”