1991 1500 Goldwing Interstate keeps blowing Fuse #8

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
jasteven
Motorcycle: 1991 Honda Goldwing Interstate

1991 1500 Goldwing Interstate keeps blowing Fuse #8

Postby jasteven » Sat Apr 16, 2011 1:58 pm

Hello everyone.

1500 GL Interstate Goldwing

I was feeling the Minnesota winter blues and got my bike out of winter storage and went for a cruise last week. A couple of miles into the trip the intrument panel lights went out and the fuel and temp gauges stopped working. I also lost the headlights, side marker lights, and the tail lights. Upon inspection I found fuse #8 blown. I replaced it and it blew again immediately when the key is placed in the accessory position. The bike had an aftermarket starlight module on it that looked to be the culprit. I removed it and put the wiring back to factory spec. The only other aftermarket accessory is a LED license plate light which I disconnected with no avail. I took a lot of the body apart to expose the wiring. I didn't see any obvious short issues, although I didn't expose everything. I even disconnected the plug under the seat to hopefully diconnect the rear lights and the fuse still blew. I have heard of people having issues with relay #3 and replaced that as well. But I am still having issues.The bike will still start and it runs perfectly. The radio workes fine as well. I see in the wiring diagram that this fuse supplies the starter relay switch as well. But it doesn't make sense that the starting system still works fine if the starting relay is bad. Could the ignition switch be bad? Ya'll should probably buy stock the company that makes 15 amp fuses because i'm going through a bunch of them trying to figure this out :). Does anyone have any ideas?

Wishing I was Cruisin in Minnesota
James

N2PPN
Motorcycle: Me on my 1981 GL1100 at Jones Beach in 1984

Re: 1991 1500 Goldwing Interstate keeps blowing Fuse #8

Postby N2PPN » Sat Apr 16, 2011 2:59 pm

Hi,
While I am not familiar with the 1500 or it's wiring system, I can offer a little electrical troubleshooting advice...

When you have a short and need to find it I usually find an incandescent light bulb (of the same voltage as the electrical system I am working on ..ie. 120V or 12V) and place the bulb in SERIES with the offending circuit... if you remove the fuse and place the 12V light bulb into the circuit INSTEAD of the fuse, it will light up when the circuit is shorted and go out when you clear the short... sometimes the brightness of the bulb (full brightness indicates a DEAD SHORT, dimly lit indicates a resistive load or bad device in the circuit drawing more amperage than the fuse can supply) will give you a clue as where to look...

Of course having the factory wiring schematic is essential as it will give you information on not only routing paths for the wiring (something might have pinched a wire and shorted it to ground) but to all the things hooked up to this particular circuit.

I would start at the fuse block and try to physically trace the harness outward and start looking for rub spots or abrasions of the insulation of the wiring... possibly a low range ohm meter (zero to 10 ohms max) might help if you can determine the resistance of the wiring short from the fuse block to where it is located, then you could determine how far away from the fuse block the short is (lower ohms = closer to fuse block) but I know a low ranging digital ohm meter isn't something everyone has in their toolbox.....

If you can identify all connectors and splices in the harness as you go, you will eventually find the short and be able to clear it... it is a tedious and time consuming job, but eventually you will find it and if it is in the factory harness, it may be a problem for others with the same year and model and I know they will be grateful to you for finding it and giving them a place to start looking for similar fuse blowing in their own bikes...

Just grab a six pack of your favorite adult beverage, some chips and take your time, you will find it...

Good Luck and please do report back with updates...

Rich
Don't Worry,
Ride Happy!

jasteven

Postby jasteven » Sun Apr 17, 2011 9:29 am

Thanks for the trouble shooting advice. It will give me a good place to start.

James

N2PPN

Postby N2PPN » Sun Apr 17, 2011 9:45 am

Hi James,

Seeing that you lost your headlight and instrument lights as well as your marker lights, possibly it could be in the fairing?... it's as good a place to look as any as you start your troubleshooting... Good luck and keep us posted...

Rich
Don't Worry,
Ride Happy!

jasteven

Postby jasteven » Sun Apr 17, 2011 5:50 pm

The short is not in the rear or right front of the wiring harness. Checking the left front now. Slow but sure. Any other ideas would be greatly appreciTed

jasteven

Postby jasteven » Sun Apr 24, 2011 7:00 pm

Well I found the Short. The front Left running light bulb socket had a wire terminal touching the metal bulb socket. Problem fixed. Thanks for the help.

N2PPN

Postby N2PPN » Sun Apr 24, 2011 7:40 pm

Hey jasteven,

Great job!! Did you use the light bulb trick?? So it was in the fairing!!

I had a gremlin hit my electrical system today, I was going out for a ride with the wife and she sent me to the grocery store to check and see what time they would close today being that it's Easter... I pulled out of the driveway hit a bump and my radio quit... a few seconds later it came back on... I figured it was the USB thumb drive that had momentarily become disconnected... I made it to the traffic light up the block and the radio quit again, this time it didn't come back... so I ride to the grocery store with no music (to me that's unacceptable, doesn't have to be loud, just that music makes riding better somehow) and after I get home, I decided to try to fix the radio problem before I go out with the wife (would much rather listen to the radio, you know what I mean.... just kiddin' honey)... to make a long story shorter, turns out the fuse holder for the parametric equalizer (one of those plastic types that you push the long piece with the fuse into the top and turn it a little and it locks in place)had broken and the fuse had pulled out of the holder and because the EQ had no power, the amp had no music... so I got out the old T&B box full of crimp parts and put a new heavy duty fuse holder in and now I was ready to ride with the wife...

I was lucky, my electrical problem was "exposed"... you did a great job locating your hidden one and getting your ride back on the road, and now you have a more complete understanding of your electrical system and future problems will undoubtedly be solved real fast..

Great job, and looking forward to more posts and stories from you and your ride...

Rich
Don't Worry,
Ride Happy!

robb
Motorcycle: 1989 Honda GL1500 Aspencade

Postby robb » Mon Apr 25, 2011 9:01 pm

A little trick is to get a resetable fuse at auto store, then replace when problem is corrected.

Return to “GL1500 Information & Questions”