plastic parts interchange on 93 Aspencade

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
Jim Clark
Motorcycle: 1993 GL1500A Aspencade

plastic parts interchange on 93 Aspencade

Postby Jim Clark » Fri Apr 29, 2011 10:15 am

HI Members, I recently got a 93 Goldwing from a fire and the plastic is melted. I need to replace parts from another bike. Are fairings and plastics on years the same or exchangeable? Some say yes-- some say no---I do not know!! I was thinking about buying a part bike 88-91 that I found but do not want parts that do not fit or line up. Is there someone knowledgeable on this subject that will shine light on my dark situation. Thanks for your response and insights, JIm

mikeswing
Motorcycle: 2002 GL1800A & 2011 Victory Crossroad

Re: plastic parts interchange on 93 Aspencade

Postby mikeswing » Sat Apr 30, 2011 9:27 pm

:? I believe that most of the plastics should interchange but I would check with mother Honda and see what they say before spending a bunch of money on a donor bike.

Jim Clark
Motorcycle: 1993 GL1500A Aspencade

Postby Jim Clark » Sun May 01, 2011 12:00 am

Hi Thanks for your reply but I did check with Honda and they do not seem to know the answer all they have is numbers. I did not think this would be so difficult a situation.

landisr
Motorcycle: 1976 GL1000
1994 GL1500A

Postby landisr » Sun May 01, 2011 9:11 am

You should be good-to-go with most all the plastic. A few exceptions are:

1) Side covers (ie battery, etc): All will fit all, but 95 and newer are a slightly different shape than the earlier ones. A 'narrower' profile. Cosmetic.

2) Area around the reverse lever: Slight difference between Interstate vs SE and Aspencade, due to missing lever (no reverse) on the Interstate.

3) Windshield 'garnish' (the chrome or polished panel just below the windshield): All are interchangeable, but I think the black 'vent' immediately below that might have to come from the same model as the garnish. Others here can correct me on this.

4) Headlights: '98 and newer are a different style from earlier models, but again, are interchageable.

5) Lower cornering lights: If your bike is an SE, then you will most likely want that lower panel from another SE, or plan on buying an aftermarket light set to go in there.

6) Fairing 'dash' area: You may want to make sure you match model types because of controls, buttons and switches, etc as well as the radio area.

7) Windshields: All will fit all, but you have to decide whether you want the vent.

8) Foot heat/vents on the lower fairing: Only the SE has these.

9) I might be missing something, but hopefully others can clue you in here.

Again, most of the above is cosmetic. You can modify any to your liking. If you're on a tight budget, go with the lowest price pieces you can find, clean them up, paint them and go for it. I would presume you will be painting everything, unless you find an entire set from the same physical bike in a color that you like. Color match and fading will pretty much guarantee noticeable differences between the pieces. The SE models have painted panels on some of the body work. I'm not sure if there are any decals, or if they are applied similar to earlier models, but if so, they will require extra sanding to remove them. A service manual is a must here to see how they are installed and how they fit together, not to mention identifying how many pieces there are.

Good luck, and enjoy your 'new' scoot.

Ron in MI
Beam me up, Scotty. There's no intelligent life down here.

wardch666
Motorcycle: 1997 GL1500 SE

Postby wardch666 » Sun May 01, 2011 12:54 pm

All the part from a 88 - 91 should fit on the 93. Just the side panels changed in 95 as stated above.

Chris

Return to “GL1500 Information & Questions”