Inside the cruise control switches??????

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
vtxcandyred
Motorcycle: 1993 Honda Goldwing SE

Inside the cruise control switches??????

Postby vtxcandyred » Mon May 02, 2011 7:13 pm

Anyone ever been inside there???????? I am, and am wondering is someone had some experience with it. Mine quit working and cleaning with contact cleaner was not much better and then wd-40 made it worse. I have a tiny spring I know where it goes but in the bottom of the housing was a tiny copper piece with two ears off the back and two bitty nubs on the other side at opposite ends. I believe it goes against the spring across from it but I don't see where it would fit. There are two wires on the end that would be set and decrease mode. I'm wondering if I need to replace THAT switch or the whole kitten caboodle????? I have a feeling we will be talking $$$$$$$. I had to hold the throttle all the way to the PA. line and back Saturday to sell my trailer. I have Kury grips and took the rest off of my VTX to put on the wing and it helped but the cruise is a must.

vtxcandyred

Re: Inside the cruise control switches??????

Postby vtxcandyred » Wed May 04, 2011 6:19 pm

Pics.
[img]http://images.goldwingdocs.com/?img=08130-02992.jpg[img][/img]http://images.goldwingdocs.com/?img=08130-02993.jpg[/img]
The first three pics are of the actual button. Inside and out. The next pic is of the hardwired part of the switch. The two contacts I believe are for the set and decrease functions. The next three pics are of the copper piece I can't I.D. Don't know how it fits in. It was in the bottom of the housing. I believe it goes in the switch somewhere but I don't know where. By the way, the spring is where it was on the bike. The hardwired part goes against the switch button itself but I don't know how it makes contact.
Attachments

MacGyver
Motorcycle: 1988 Honda GL1500

Postby MacGyver » Thu May 05, 2011 2:08 pm

I am going to be following this post as I just bought a 88 GL1500 and was told the cruise is a hit and miss.. Well it comes on but wont lock on speed so this will be one of my projects to take apart and clean etc like you did.. So if I run to this problem I will know what to do if anyone replies.. This is my first goldwing and first post. ;) My dad had a 83 ages ago.. He is mad at me now, well should say jealous, ok mad... He wants his GW back..

Edit: When you took yours off did the copper piece just fly out? or what... I could go ahead and take mine apart, er try to and take pics and see where that goes.

:lol: .. Take care!!

vtxcandyred

Postby vtxcandyred » Thu May 05, 2011 2:20 pm

MacGyver wrote:I am going to be following this post as I just bought a 88 GL1500 and was told the cruise is a hit and miss.. Well it comes on but wont lock on speed so this will be one of my projects to take apart and clean etc like you did.. So if I run to this problem I will know what to do if anyone replies.. This is my first goldwing and first post. ;) My dad had a 83 ages ago.. He is mad at me now, well should say jealous, ok mad... He wants his GW back..

Edit: When you took yours off did the copper piece just fly out? or what... I could go ahead and take mine apart, er try to and take pics and see where that goes.

:lol: .. Take care!!

Welcome and enjoy that scoot. The copper piece was laying in the bottom of the housing. I figured out how it goes back together BUT I forgot to strech the spring out a tad. I'll hopefully be able to do that tonight. Let you know.

virgilmobile
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500 I
Previously owned
78 GL1000
81 GL1100
82 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 standard
84 GL 1200 I

Postby virgilmobile » Thu May 05, 2011 3:25 pm

This is going to sound odd,but....many years ago I experienced intermittent connections.I cleaned the copper slide and landing.It helped a little but was unreliable.This is what I did to positively eliminate the problem..OK EPA don't look...I bought a thermostat at Home Depot that used a mercury switch.Carefully removed it and put it in a pill bottle.With a pencil eraser and a drop of mercury I rubbed it till it coated the copper contacts then remover the excess.Now when the mercury coated contacts are touching the mercury will bond them together.Wala a perfect contact each and every time.It can't arc out or fail.That's the reason it's used in thermostats.Oh by the way , the contact assembly is still used today,I "repaired" it in 1975.

vtxcandyred

Postby vtxcandyred » Tue May 10, 2011 3:35 pm

UPDATE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!I believe I found the problem!!!!!!!!!!! I rechecked what we had done last night after work and it made no difference. So I took the seat off and unplugged the harness again thinking perhaps I might see something I had missed or came apart or SOMETHING!!!!!!!!! It was the connector itself. I remember while we were testing the connections that one of them popped out the back side. All I did was push it back in and kept going. Well last night on my way home it worked like a charm. Never missed a beat. I even turned the cruise off with the handlebar button. It came right back on and worked again. Thinking back when I was rewiring this to begin with I had read you could pop the two wires out of their respective slots and reverse them. I tried that but only one would come out. The very first night I got to ride the bike to check it out it worked on the way to work but quit after I left work. It worked sporadically that night then quit altogether. Instead of revisiting the connection I presumed it was the handlebar switches or something else. I always preach to start from the beginning but I didn’t practice what I preach

virgilmobile
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500 I
Previously owned
78 GL1000
81 GL1100
82 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 standard
84 GL 1200 I

Postby virgilmobile » Wed May 11, 2011 4:16 pm

A popped pin plug ? Who da thought.

MacGyver
Motorcycle: 1988 Honda GL1500

Postby MacGyver » Wed May 11, 2011 7:26 pm

vtxcandyred wrote:UPDATE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!I believe I found the problem!!!!!!!!!!! I rechecked what we had done last night after work and it made no difference. So I took the seat off and unplugged the harness again thinking perhaps I might see something I had missed or came apart or SOMETHING!!!!!!!!! It was the connector itself.
-SNIP-

Hmm.. Gonna have to check my out.. So I should check the plug under the seat?

Glad you got it fixed!!!

Return to “GL1500 Information & Questions”