1994 goldwing speedo problems

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
two4two
Motorcycle: 1994 1500 goldwing SE

1994 goldwing speedo problems

Postby two4two » Wed May 04, 2011 1:14 pm

hi guys..... new to this site not sure if I am doing this right,,,,,, I am having a problem with my speedometer, I do believe the cluster gears went on the weekend and I need to change the speedo, so question is....... how to I get the guage out

mikeswing
Motorcycle: 2002 GL1800A & 2011 Victory Crossroad

Re: 1994 goldwing speedo problems

Postby mikeswing » Sun May 08, 2011 12:12 am

Was it just your speedo that quit or did the cruise stop working also? On my 1993 the speedo, cruise, and if I remember there was something with the radio also and all that was wrong was the cable pulled out of where it hooks up at the front tire. Good luck Mike

artgrantz
Motorcycle: Current: 2008 GL1800
Previous: 96 GL1500 SE
85 GL1200 I
85 GL1200 I
75 GL1000

Postby artgrantz » Mon May 09, 2011 9:22 pm

First be sure it isn't a bad cable or the drive gear on the wheel. The drive gear is plastic and they don't last forever.

If you have to get the instrument cluster out be sure to keep it upright. The tach and speedo are oil damped and the oil will run out if you turn them upside down.
Remove:
mirrors
Winshield garnish
windshield
dash air vents
dash trim
instrument cluster mounting bolts

It's been a while since I did this so I may have missed something.

roadhawg
Motorcycle: 1993 GL1500A Aspencade

Postby roadhawg » Thu Jun 02, 2011 9:45 am

Have been working on the speedometer on a 93 myself. The speedometer needle began to bounce up and down then simply quit. It was the plastic drive gear. Here is my suggestion, make certain you inspect the entire unit. First, remove the covers from the front wheel, next disconnect the speedometer cable from the drive unit. You will see the tab that fits into the cable, wiggle it to see if it is loose. Next turn the front wheel forward and see if the tab rotates evenly. If it does take a pair of needle nose pliers and try to hold the tab from spinning as you rotate the front wheel, don't force it, if you can prevent the tab from turning or if it slips while the wheel is being turned the plastic gear is bad.
If you do find that you need to replace the drive gear be sure to check every component before ordering any parts. For example: there is a flat washer looking piece called a gear box retainer that fits inside the wheel under the dust seal. On this washer are two rubber tabs which actually ride against the tabs on the plastic drive gear and turn it, make certain they are in good condition. You should be able to tell without removing it from the wheel. Hope this helps and solves your problem. Replacing the speeometer assembly should be the very last thing you do.

vtxcandyred
Motorcycle: 1993 Honda Goldwing SE

Postby vtxcandyred » Thu Jun 02, 2011 5:04 pm

roadhawg wrote:Have been working on the speedometer on a 93 myself. The speedometer needle began to bounce up and down then simply quit. It was the plastic drive gear. Here is my suggestion, make certain you inspect the entire unit. First, remove the covers from the front wheel, next disconnect the speedometer cable from the drive unit. You will see the tab that fits into the cable, wiggle it to see if it is loose. Next turn the front wheel forward and see if the tab rotates evenly. If it does take a pair of needle nose pliers and try to hold the tab from spinning as you rotate the front wheel, don't force it, if you can prevent the tab from turning or if it slips while the wheel is being turned the plastic gear is bad.
If you do find that you need to replace the drive gear be sure to check every component before ordering any parts. For example: there is a flat washer looking piece called a gear box retainer that fits inside the wheel under the dust seal. On this washer are two rubber tabs which actually ride against the tabs on the plastic drive gear and turn it, make certain they are in good condition. You should be able to tell without removing it from the wheel. Hope this helps and solves your problem. Replacing the speeometer assembly should be the very last thing you do.

Another thing to concider with regards to the cable. I took mine completely OFF the bike because I could not get the interior cable out of the housing. I'm glad I did this though because the cable was rusted in the housing pretty bad. I got it apart and used a ton of wd-40 to start cleaning the interior of the housing. I'd spray the snot out of it and run the cable in and out LOTS of times then use the compressor and blow it clean. The amount of reddish colored garbage that came out was incredible. I continued doing this until it blew out pretty clean. I then used dry slide on the cable and a dab of moly paste and it has been fine since. By the way the culprit was the plastic gear.

Return to “GL1500 Information & Questions”