Is AlumaSeal Safe or is it like silicone?

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
Motorcycle: 1976 GL1000
1994 GL1500A

Is AlumaSeal Safe or is it like silicone?

Postby landisr » Sun May 15, 2011 8:15 pm

Any body know if the aluminum powder in AlumaSeal is safe for my 1500, or would the powder act like silicone antifreeze? I get an occasional whiff of antifreeze, and from what I've heard, there are a couple likely culprits, most likely buried in expensive areas. "Doing the right thing" would mean many painful and/or expensive manhours plus obscenely mucho bucks in parts ($115 for a shield, $95 for one connector, plus over 30 OEM hoses, o-rings, etc). My bike is a 94A, and I've owned it from new. It just turned 153,000 miles last week, and it runs great (48 mpg on one tank).

Your thoughts? Many TIA. Ron in MI

Beam me up, Scotty. There's no intelligent life down here.

Motorcycle: 1993 Honda Goldwing SE

Re: Is AlumaSeal Safe or is it like silicone?

Postby vtxcandyred » Mon May 16, 2011 6:19 pm

I'd keep riding it and keep a close eye on it. I don't know about alumaseal but I would just ride it. See if you can find a shop to take a peek at it. This is from their web site.[url]AlumAseal® has been sealing radiator and heater core leaks for over 75 years. Today’s products feature modern state-of-the-art formulas for unbeatable leak stopping performance. AlumAseal is safe and compatible with ALL antifreeze and coolants (green, orange, yellow or G-05, etc.), and with ALL metal, plastic and rubber parts. Guaranteed to work or your money back![/url]

Return to “GL1500 Information & Questions”